Are you a student who is interested in a career in healthcare but don’t know what you want to do there?
Adventures in Health Care 2022 is an ONLINE survey course of career pathways and educational opportunities in health sciences. The ONLINE program is open to all high school students and is a stepping stone career development experience for all interested British Columbia students.
Year after year during student interviews we hear the same lament…, “I know what I want to study, but I just don`t know what I want to do”. If that sounds like you, this is where you belong. It is about exploring in places you haven`t been before (of course we are talking figuratively).
- The purpose of the ROTARY Adventures in Health Care program is to help those interested in EXPLORING educational and career opportunities in health care. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, the LIVE program has been suspended until at least 2023.
- The ONLINE program is not meant to replace the LIVE program. Adventures in Health Care ONLINE will broaden your scope of knowledge in the field of health sciences, allowing you to make more informed choices as you move forward in high school. Good planning gives you good results.
- What follows below is an outline of the ONLINE program.
- Unit 1 – Exploring the sites and sounds of the LIVE program
- Unit 2 – Stepping into the life of a Canadian medical doctor in her final years in residency. Her insights are 21st Century and sometimes thought provoking.
- Unit 3 – Investigating how diseases were handled in our look back in history.
- DOING SCIENCE – Interspersed through out the units are some hands on lab experiments and case studies. The labs were originally designed to do at home but one in particular we have learned works better with the use of a microscope. You may have to check with your science teacher at school to use one if you choose to hunt for a Tardigrade.
The ONLINE program will go live for the month of March, 2022. There are brief quizzes following some segments that will encourage you to look back and recall what you have just watched and read….its called retention. The quiz is not a pass or fail, its purposes is….you guessed it, retention. But you are encouraged to retake each quiz if you are not happy with the results ,…remember its about learning. There is no fail, just lack of knowing. Upon completion of the three units of the program(participating in all the quizzes and the student survey at the end) a certificate will be awarded in early May. It can be used in your graduation portfolio as well as your Capstone Project in Grade 12.