Green Teams Canada is Hiring Two Community Environmental Leaders for the Lower Mainland Green Team (LMGT)
Locations: Greater Victoria and Lower Mainland (Work virtually from home and a variety of settings)
Term: Full-time starting between May 23-June 14 (start date & hrs in May-June may be set up to work around your availability; however, from July 4th it will be full-time) and ending Sept 3, 2022 and then part-time (approx. 16 hrs a week) until April 2, 2023
Deadline to apply: Friday, May 6 2022, 12pm.
We are seeking four youth, aged 15-30, who are passionate about environment and community to co-lead the award-winning Greater Victoria Green Team (GVGT) and Lower Mainland Green Team (LMGT) and support the growth of Green Teams of Canada!
This position will most appeal to someone who is interested in:
- Gaining leadership and community organizing experience
- Working collaboratively in a close-knit team
- Improving their communication skills (e.g. public speaking, communicating science, written, active listening and using non-verbal cues)
- Developing critical and creative thinking skills
- Learning how to conduct outreach (e.g. using multiple social media outlets effectively and reaching a wider diverse demographic)
- Working from home virtually a large percentage of the time and outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions
- Gaining practical ecological restoration skills
- Learning what it takes to turn an idea into action
We require some experience and/or education that demonstrates you are keen to become a leader and are committed to environmental community engagement.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Position
- Co-lead at least 20 environmental community action projects (invasive plant removals, planting of native species and clean-ups)
- Provide environmental educational and supervision to community members
- Take quality photos & videos of community members
- Participate in GTC’s first Youth Advisory Committee and provide recommendations on and support the development of policies and Operational Plan
- Co-create and implement a Community Outreach Plan that focuses on reaching a wider diverse audience
- Co-manage social media
- Strategize and support the creation of new partnerships to enhance and increase the number of activities run
- Support fundraising activities (e.g. grant writing)
- Research and add new educational content to hands-on outdoor environmental education activities
- Follow safety protocols to prevent the spread of communicable disease
- Perform other related duties as required by supervising staff
All candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements. They must be:
- Between the ages of 15-30 by the beginning of employment;
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Available and willing to work weekends;
- Willing to show COVID-19 Vaccination proof;
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Record Check;
- Able to lift tents, tools, tables, bags of supplies etc.
Candidates who do not meet all eligibility requirements will not be considered:
Ideally, candidates have their own computer, internet connection and phone to use in this position; however, this is not a requirement.
GTC welcomes applications from eligible candidates from all backgrounds
How to apply:
If you are applying for a position with the GVGT, in Greater Victoria, please fill out this form: Eligibility requirement questions (<–CLICK)
If you are applying for a position with the LMGT, in the Lower Mainland, please fill out this form: Eligibility Requirement questions (<–CLICK)
Please use the same address you use to email your cover letter and resume from
Forward a resume and one page cover letter in a single pdf file and name it: “your First Name, your Last Name” by May 6, 2022 at 12pm Pacific Standard Time via email to Amanda@GreenTeamsCanada.ca
In your cover letter do let us know what interests you most about this position, how you think it will benefit you and how you’ll help take GTC to the next level.
Candidates who will move onto the interview stage will be selected and emailed May 6-8th. Please have 3 references ready to forward to us if requested. We expect interviews to take place virtually and/or in person between May 9-20th, with the successful applicants starting between May 23rd 2022 and June 14th 2022.
We kindly ask that applications be sent by email only and that you do not phone.
Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
For more info, please visit: https://www.greenteamscanada.ca
These positions are supported in part by the Chawkers Foundation and RBC Foundation and other supporters.