Volunteer Position Description – Teen Nerd Nite Event Planner
Location: MONOVA – Museum of North Vancouver
Are you between the ages of 13 to 18 and curious about science, history, or learning? Want to build leadership experience while having fun by helping plan and promote events for teens?
Nerd Nite North Vancouver, hosted by the Museum of North Vancouver, is looking for youth volunteers (ages 13-18) to help organize two youth-centred events that make expert knowledge fun and easy to understand.
About Nerd Nite:
With over 80 locations worldwide, “Nerd Nites” feature speakers who deliver 15-20 minute talks on complex subjects, but in simple language for better understanding. Each talk includes a fun, interactive question and answer period in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
Teen Nerd Nite was founded in North Vancouver by a group of high school students who heard about Nerd Nite and wanted their own event for teens to learn from experts without studying or tests, to ask questions and to learn more about exciting careers, and to build hands-on leadership experience by helping to organize these events.
With guidance from adult Nerd Nite North Vancouver organizers, teen volunteers will:
Plan unique speaker lineups by researching experts, contacting potential speakers, and scheduling talks.
Develop marketing strategies for promoting events, such as postering, social media, and blog posts.
Create trivia questions and other Teen Nerd Nite event activities.
Skills and Personal Traits:
- Ability to work in a group with other youth participants
- An interest in science (STEM), history, and learning
- An interest in volunteering for a museum
- A willingness to learn and have fun
- (2-4) short planning sessions per month (1.5 – 3 hours per meeting)
- (2) Thursday evening events on March 9th and May 11th (3-4 hours each)
Hours spent planning the events will count towards your volunteer hours at the museum. The group will be supervised and lead by a museum staff person.
- A great way to learn more about the museum and to work with other youth volunteers
- Volunteer hours for high school graduation
- Meeting scientists and other professionals to learn about potential careers
- Gaining experience in event planning, social media promotion and other skills to enhance your resume
- A way to share your enthusiasm for science, history and learning
Charlie Cook, Program Assistant
- Complete the Youth Volunteer Application and indicate that you are interested in Teen Nerd Nite
- Meet with the volunteer coordinator
- Receive the schedule for Teen Nerd Nite Planning sessions
- For more information email email@example.com
115 West Esplanade, North Vancouver, BC V7M 0G7