Over the past couple of months in humanities, we have been working on a project called The Outsiders. The driving question was “What can The Outsiders teach us about worldview?” In this project we read the book The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, learned about worldview, and created a tableau with a group to show off at our first PLP exhibition. I was in a group with five other people: Jackson, Jupiter, Naomi, Brooke, and Luca.

The goal of this project was to understand story plots and worldview. We also learned to make connections with history and text. We would learn about how literature can teach us more about ourselves and the world around us.

When we started, we learned about worldview. We expanded our understanding by defining our worldview with a worldview entry write. Then we began reading The Outsiders. We completed a Mindnode about our worldview. As we read the book, we had class discussions and worked on our character decks, which were Keynotes about all of the characters. We also made an in-depth comparison of one of the characters called the You vs. Who Character Analysis.

Once we finished the book, we got into our groups. As a group we imagined a version of The Outsiders that took place in 2021. Then we made a trailer for that movie. Here is ours:

We then made an individual movie poster for The Outsiders. Here is mine:

Once our group was done our individual posters, we took a photoshoot with all of our group members. We took these photos and used them on our group movie posters. When everybody finished, we decided as a group which one we liked best and declared it our final group movie poster. Mine was the one that got chosen. This is what we submitted:

Twice a year in PLP, the students have a big open house night where the students show off their work. This is called a PLP Exhibition. In this exhibition, the grade 8s would be presenting two Tableau scenes about the outsiders. A tableau is a still image that tells a story. One of the scenes would be about the book and one would be a modern adaptation. Each group was given a scene. Our group was given the scene in the book where the main character was being drowned.

The first thing our group did was create a script for our performance. We then created our tableaus and practiced them in our performance space. Once our scenes were solidified, we started working on the set. We used cardboard, paper, and white sheets to recreate the setting of our scene as we imagined it. Then we finalized our tableaus.

On the night of the exhibition, we started by clearing out the library and getting it ready for the night. After, we began setting up our area. Here is a time-lapse GIF of us setting up:

Once we were set up, we helped other groups, and practiced our performance. Then we ate a pizza dinner before the guests arrived.

When the guests arrived we started preforming over and over again for two hours. It was really tiring, but a lot of fun and I had a good time doing it. I also got to see the grade 9’s work. Unfortunately, we didn’t take any photos of the actual tableaus, but we got some good photos of my group that night. Here are those:

In the end I had a great time and am looking forward to my next exhibition. In this project, I was good at working with my group, getting my parts done on time, and making sure that everything was ready. I could work on my acceptance of some revisions made by my group, and my ability to preform my speaking part over and over again without messing up.

This project has helped my understand my worldview as well as worldview as a concept. To answer the driving question, The Outsiders was able to teach us a lot about how different people view the world. It also taught us about how worldviews can be shaped and changed.