Our final scimatics project of grade 8 was titled Comic Cells. The driving question for this project was “How do cells and diseases interact?” In this project we created a comic that featured cells and diseases interacting. We also had to pick a certain disease to research. I chose Ebola virus.

At the start of the project, we watched a movie that involved cells called Osmosis Jones. Then we made a project start mind map. This is mine:

After, we did research on cells. We also chose a disease and made a wanted poster for it. This is mine:

We then started work on a storyboard for our comic. We made sure to do many revisions in order to prepare for our comic. When we were happy with our storyboard, we could start work on our comic. Click here to read my final comic.

After completing our comic, we created a project end mind map. This mine:

Here is my reflection on the curricular competencies for this project:

I think that my comic turned out great. It looks good, it is easy to read and understand, and it touches on all of the important aspects of the project. In this project, I was really good at creating a story and drawings to go with it. In the future, I will continue to work on my ability to convey the important concepts in a seamless and interesting way.

To answer the driving question, some cells fight diseases, some cells are targeted by diseases, and some cells completely avoid diseases. There are thousands of diseases and trillions of cells, each interacting in a unique way.