Disease was spreading, war was starting, the economy was collapsing, and I was right in the middle of it.

To kick off our next Humanities project, Storm the Barricades, we participated in a simulation about revolutions. In this simulation, we were placed into groups with various power. We simulated five days, each day crazier than the last.

I was placed into group C. We were the second highest rank out of the four classes. We were in charge of arrests and prison. We were also in charge of collecting taxes. We were paid a decent wage of $5 a day.

Day 1:

On the first day we read the newspaper, received money, and prepared for the day. This day was fairly calm. We made a few arrests and bought from the store. The store owners (group B) unfairly charged more for higher class citizens such as myself, so I only bought a small amount of food. 

At the end of the day I went to collect taxes. Group A (the lowest class citizens) gave us the money. However, Group B (the store owners) did not want to pay taxes. We had to arrest some of them, but they still secretly kept some of the money for themselves. We were then told a rumour that Group A was spreading treasonous pamphlets towards the highest class (Group B).

Day 2:

The next day, much of the same happened. When tax time came, Group B stole even more money. This angered my group. We decided that if we couldn’t beat them, join them. We preposed a truce. We would allow them to pay less taxes as long as they gave us some money and helped us to overthrow the government. We then began planning to take down the Group D (the rulers). At night, we heard rumour that a revolution was beginning and we decided that we would take part in it.

Day 3:

On day 3, chaos ensued. Food prices were skyrocketing, resources were dwindling, and revolution was beginning. Groups A, B, and C all signed an agreement to work together, to revolt against Group D. We were also plotting to assassinate the leaders. Later that day I met up with a rich malefactor from Group B who had stolen hundreds of tax dollars. We decided to incentivize him to fund our revolution. Some members of my group were suspicious about the trustworthiness of other members of Group C.

Day 4:

This is where everything got crazy. A new disease had infected members of Group A. Group D was kind enough to donate the cure, but the cure was limited. The new threat from the mysterious, Nation Y was a very prominent threat. Group D now had weapons to protect themselves. Luckily, we were able to buy one off of them for 100 dollars.

Day 5:

Disease was spreading fast, and members of Group D were fleeing. Nation Y was arriving soon, and we were not prepared. Remaining members of Group D tried to host a meeting to talk about each groups new rights. During this, a few radical members of Group B attacked the political figures. A fight was started, and Nation Y chose to arrive at this time. I was killed in the chaos. Nation Y successfully overtook our nation.

This simulation helped us understand what could lead to revolution. Dwindling resources, disease, threat from other Nations, and unfair living conditions were all factors which lead to revolution. Although our revolution came to an end as Nation Y attacked, it was still interesting to learn what it was like to start one. I really enjoyed this simulation, and I am exited to learn more about revolutions in the rest of this project.