How is life sustained and passed on through cell division? This question turns out to be more complicated than I thought. Many complex processes are at play in allowing life to continue. In our newest science project, titled Life As We Know It, we explored many different processes with the aim of answering this question. We finished this project by creating a video which explains the answer to this question.

To kick off the project we researched asexual reproduction and it’s five different methods. We also did an experiment on planaria, a type of worm, where we learned about how they use the method of fragmentation to reproduce. We then used our knowledge to create comics for each one of these methods. These are my comics:

We then took a closer look and learned about mitosis and cytokinesis, which are the processes in which cells divide during asexual reproduction. We then 3D modelled each of the stages of mitosis and cytokinesis with a partner. Here are some photos of the model I made with Tom:

For the second part of this assignment, we researched meiosis, which is the process in which cells divide during sexual reproduction. We then 3D modelled this process with our partners. This is our model:

For our next task, we researched sexual reproduction, and how organisms are created this way. We were tasked with creating a puppet show/video about sexual reproduction which focused on one animal and how it reproduces. I worked with Tom and Keaton to create a video which focused on frogs, and their reproduction methods. This is our video:

To finish off the project we created videos which answered our driving question and showcased all of our work from the project. This is my video:

This project taught me all about how living things reproduce. I got to focus on my research skills as well as my ability to showcase my knowledge through comic strip, 3D model, and video.  To answer the driving question, every organism has its own way of reproducing. Some organisms reproduce sexually, and some reproduce asexually. They then use mitosis or meiosis to divide and replicate. Reproduction is a fascinating process, and I am glad I was able to learn more about it.