My Ultimate Design Challenge

Hello welcome to or back to my blog! In this post I will be talking about my most recent project in Scimatics. In this project we learned about Surface Area and Volume. Everyone had to pick an everyday object to make sure it had maximum Surface Area/Volume depending on the one they chose. We made the objects in Tinker Cade and we needed to have at least 10 shapes per person. My partner, Ruby and I chose to do pizza related things. I chose to do I pizza truck and she chose to do a pizza box. 

My driving question for my pizza truck was: “How can I design a pizza delivery truck to have maximum surface area?”

Ruby’s Driving question for her pizza box: “How can I design a pizza box o have maximum surface area?”

Since we made our designs in Tinker Cade and had to get surface area and volume for all the shapes. Here is what my pizza truck design looked liked:

Here is Ruby’s pizza box design:

Once everything was final we made a presentation and presented it to the class. Here is our presentation:

~Core Comptneacies~

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest. (All class time is used efficiently for learning without distractions.)

☀️-Accomplished

During this project I felt I would get more distracted then usual. For my next project in Scimatics I will set a goal to use class time more efficiently and will try to set all distractions down to a minimum.

Reasoning and Analyzing: Model mathematics in contextualized experiences.

🌈 -Extending

I feel that I did really well with my design of a pizza truck and included more then 10 different shapes in my design. I also made sure that my pizza truck optimized for maximum surface area and it worked out in the end. One thing I could have worked on was that I could have used my time better when making the object.

Communicating and Representing: Explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions.

🌈-Extending

The surface area and volume were throughly measured and calculated throughout my project. I also feel like I did really well presenting it during the presentation. One thing. Could have worked on was that I could have prepared more before I actually presented.

One thought on “My Ultimate Design Challenge