World War One

Bravery is defined as the state of having mental or moral strength to face danger, fear or difficulty. Bravery is just one of the words that comes to mind when I think of the heroic WW1 soldiers who risked their lives day in and day out to give us freedom in the country we call home.

For the past month our PLP cohort has been learning about the ‘war to end all wars’. This war is better known as World War One which meant it was the first time so many countries were fighting and the first time many new inventions were used and such mass casualties occured.  World War One was a very tragic time in the existence of mankind. After reading my blog and listening to my podcast you will have a glimpse of what happened during those tumultuous years.

In school when you learn about a topics you don’t just jump right into the big project so I will give you some examples of the papers and assignment that we did to give us background information to prepare for it. One of the assignments that we did was to read a a paper that had been written about the new technology and transportation that been developed back then.  These advances caused a huge increase in casualties compared to other wars.  Light airplanes started carrying machine guns and u-boat submarines with periscopes torpedoed many Allied ships.  Airplane pilots had very dangerous jobs and usually only last three weeks before being shot down.  One of the most deadly new weapons was the use of chemical gas that killed many people.

Another assignment that we did was when we watched a short movie about what happened in the war week by week. This was a very interesting and captivating way to learn about something that happened so long ago and impacted so many people. After we watched this video we had to take notes and create a timeline of our own of the major events.  We also learned about the major battles that Canadian soldiers fought in.  The conditions were bad and they fought very bravely and it made Canada feel more independent and proud. Another early assignment was the “Why did World War One Start?” where you and a partner had to make a video or media presentation to explain the causes of World War One.   We created a news/documentary type of video. The scene is set where Simon and I are walking down a street explaining the many factors that led to World War One..and to cut to chase..there is no one definitive reason why World War One started but there were many different events that built up tension, weapons and alliances between countries until one pushed them over the edge. This one event was the assassination of the Archduke of Austria Archduke Franz Ferdinand

So after class did a lot of research it was time to start the big project for the unit. This was to create a podcast to help explain how the war changed the identity of Canada as a nation. One way that you could help explain this was the other requirement of this project which was to pick a World War 1 soldier and tell his story as part of the podcast. Our teacher, Ms. Emily Maxwell  gave us this site where you typed in a  first name or last name and then it would give you examples of World War 1 soldiers. I ended up picking Private James Peter Robertson of the 27th Winnipeg battlion.  If you listen to my podcast below, you will be able to learn so much about Private Robertson and the terrifying conditions that these soldiers had to live in. You will also learn what I learned about when creating this podcast.  Bravery like Private Robertson and other soldiers displayed had no boundaries.  Brotherhood and the sacrifices they made for each other and future generations were limitless and selfless.  The pride of protecting Canada’s freedom and values and putting Canada on the world stage will never be forgotten.

During World War 1, Canada evolved from a colony to an independent country,  It had established itself on the world stage by fighting bravely in battles with soldiers like Private Robertson.  Even on the home front back in Canada there were changes as women’s roles evolved when the men were away fighting.  When the war was over, there were debts to pay, injured soldiers to look after and families who had to carry on without their loved ones.  I hope that you will take a minute to realize how lucky you are. Wherever you are in the world people are fighting and giving up their lives to make this planet a better place. So I ask you what are you doing to make this planet a better place for the next generation. It is a thought-provoking question I ask myself after studying World War One.  I hope you gain insight into World War 1 from listening to my podcast.