So I Guess I Made a Laser Display?

Hey, welcome back to my blog! In this post I will be talking about my most recent Scimatics project, Laser Laws. This project was all about the law of reflection and the pythagorean theorem.

The driving question for this project was “How can we test the pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection at the same time?”

The first thing I’m including in this post is my MindMap. This was created at the start of the project, and I added answers to some of the questions now, as the project has been finished.

As you can see, I’ve gained knowledge about the pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection.

At the end of the project, we used the knowledge we gained to create a laser display using only one laser and mirrors! Here’s a photo of mine:

For this part of the project I worked with Max, Ronan, Owen, and Keira. Check out their blogs by clicking on their names!

Now it’s time for the most important but most boring part: the core competencies.

Questioning and Predicting:

I don’t think I did too well on this competency in the building knowledge stage, because I didn’t really care about the work and barely paid attention in class, but once I got past building knowledge, I started to pay attention more and invest myself in the ways that lasers and triangles work.

Communicating and Representing:

I think I did well in this competency because I prominently showed a right triangle in my laser display and calculated the various angles to prove the law of reflection. The entire laser display was basically the way that I communicated the mathematical ideas involved in the pythagorean theorem.

Applying and Innovating:

I think I did very well in this competency because I built a full on in-depth laser display co-operatively with my group, communicating the triangle idea well while making it look good, and divided the work evenly.

Thank you for reading this blog post!