Ads, Ads, Lots of Ads!

• This is my first draft of my business advertisement

Hey everyone! I’m here to post about my first Humanities project. For this project our driving question was ‘how does what we see, here and read influence us?’

During this project I worked with a few of my wonderful classmates all their blogs will be linked at the bottom of the post.

At the beginning of this project we started off by developing some need to knows a few examples are: “what business’ will we be advertising to?” An “what kind of advertisement are we doing (video, poster…)?”

Then, we started to build some knowledge about what exactly media is. One of my favourite things we did in the building knowledge phase was learning about pathos (which appeals to emotion), ethos (which appeals to logic or reason) and logos (which appeals to credibility or character) because it was fun determining the difference between them in different ads and seeing how much alike they are.

Part of the building knowledge phase was interviewing our business to find out what they wanted us to put on the ad. I found that this was a really difficult part because both of us (our business and our project group) were really busy so it was very hard to find a time that  would work for us both.

This is my first draft of my business advertisement

But with the help of our teachers we managed to get in contact with our business and we did our interview!

After we finished the building knowledge phase we started the develop and critique phase which I think best represents our curricular competency which was ‘Construct a visual text use if design process to develop and create for a specific audience’ because we started creating the actual ad. My first ad was very chaotic, I had pictures everywhere, barely any text and half the  photos weren’t mine. But then I got some critiques and I applied those critiques over and over again till I got to my final (solo) ad.

Our last phase of the project was present and reflect. During the present phase I was sick so I couldn’t be there but, what my group did was make a final group ad, get critique from Derek Hepburn (his business will be linked at the end of the post), then they applied that feedback and sent an email to our business.  The vey last thing we did/am currently doing right now is the reflect phase! That entails writing a post to put on our blog and remembering all the things we did during this project. We even get to write our first blog post!

Our Final Group Ad

My top advertising tips to make your ad better

I learned about quite a bit about advertising and here are some of my favourite tips I’ve learned:

1. KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid -this is basically is just a little acronym to remind you when making the ad to not put too many things in your ad. That can include words and pictures.
  2. 70%, 20%, 10% – in your ad you want to have most of the space taken up by a picture (70%), then you want a small bit of writing to tell consumers what the product is (20%), then you’ll want to ad a logo or some sort of company identification (10%).
  3. Remember your target audience! – your target audience are the people your marketing to for example if I was selling Halloween decorations I would target my ad towards people who like Halloween.
  4. The business always has the final say – if you’ve been hired by a business and your making an ad for them, it’s their ad so, they can put what they want on it. You can give suggestions but it’s up to you to make their vision come to life.

Overall I think this project was really fun and I learned a lot. For this project our driving question is ‘how does what we see, hear and read influence us?’ As I mentioned earlier in this post and I think the best way to answer this is; what we see, hear and read influences us because depending on what we see, hear or read we want what the people in the ad have. It might be a hair brush or a new iPhone or maybe even a relationship but if they have it why can’t we? So then once we see, hear one read about what they have we think ‘hey if that person has it why can’t I?’ Then that influences us to go and do or buy that thing because seeing or reading about someone doing that makes it real.

So that’s the end of my reflection for this Humanities project, it was a really interesting project and I can’t wait for the next one!

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃.

My group’s blog links:

Daniel

Gwenyth

Evangeline

Magnus

Owen