Devine Drawings

Hi everyone! For this project PLP 8 was split into 2 groups one of them was Carr and the other was Herzog. I’m in Carr but I’ll most likely be making another post for Herzog when I’m finished that. Carr is all about drawing and learning how to use your Apple Pencil. Our driving question for both Herzog and Carr is “Why is it important to use technology to further improve our ability to communicate and to think creatively?”. In this project we used a book called ‘everyone can create drawing’ for the iPad to learn about a lot of the drawing skills I’m going to mention later on. We also used Sketches Pro for this project.

At the beginning of this project we learned about who Emily Carr was. We also learned that the Carr section of this project is named after her because, our goal for this project was that we all become our own Emily Carr. For this project we had 5 skills that we learned how to do: using pressure, doodling, shading, perspective and using colour. I’m gonna talk a little more in depth about each of these and show you some examples.

Skill 1 – Using pressure 

Our goal for this skill was to use our pencils to create various lines and patterns to convey emotion. It was also about learning how draw on the Sketches Pro app. The first part of using pressure was learning to sketch lines and patterns and we learned that different lines can convey different emotions. The second part of using pressure was creating block letters, we learned how to use a combination of straight and curvy lines to create letters.

I think this connected me to the adult world because it showed me that pro create isn’t the only drawing app and that will help me adapt to things easier in life.

Skill 2 – Doodling

Our second skill was doodling and our goal for this was to use shapes and doodles to connect and express ideas. To do this we learned how to draw 2D shapes and use those shapes in sketches, we explored colour and learned how to plan and organize our thinking. The first part of this skill was to sketch and express with an emoji. Here’s the emoji I created: The second part of this skill was finding out what a sketch note is. Sketch noting is taking notes with drawings and shapes and a few words instead of bullet point or paragraphs. The third and final thing we did for this skill was creating our own sketch note. I decided to do mine about a day in my life. Here it is:

I think this connected me to the adult world because sketch noting is something I could use a lot in day to day life.

Skill 3 – Shading

Our goal for this skill was to make a drawing more realistic by adding shading and colour. The first thing we did was creating a value scale. Shading is very important to drawing because it give a still drawing life. Here’s my value scale: The next thing we did for our shading skill was creating our very own robot with then making it 3D and colouring it. Here’s my bot: The last thing we did was breaking objects into shapes. For mine I took a picture of a chair and figured out what shapes made up the chair then I drew it myself. Here it is:

I think this connected me to the adult world because I had to find things in the adult world to draw.

Skill 4 – Perspective

Our goal for skill 4 was to use the tools on available to make a sketch realistic. To build the skill we added depth through perspective, we found the horizon line, we found a vanishing point and we used the smudge tool to add depth. The first thing we did in this skill was drawing using one-point linear perspective. We learned how to do this through a video that I will link here: perspective. Here’s what I created: The second thing we did for this skill was using layers. I found using layers was very helpful because I could erase one part of my drawing but not another. The last thing we did for this skill and the thing I found was the hardest part was drawing my perspective. The task was to take a picture of a landscape you really liked and I chose to do Grouse Mountain for mine. It was a lot of trees to draw but, here it is: I think this connected me to the adult world because it helps clarify what your seeing and it can show you a different perspective.

Skill 5 – Using colour

The first thing we did for our final skill was creating a design brief which would later help us create our own logo. The second thing we did was meet with a real graphic designer named Chloe Devine (I’ll link her website down below), who helped us with our logo by telling us about her experiences and showing us some of her own work. Then finally we created our logos. I mad mine about a potential theatre club at Seycove. Here it is:

I think this connected me to the adult world becauseI got to meet with someone who draws professionally. 

This was a really fun project. I really enjoyed learning more about how to use my Apple Pencil. When I started off this project I wasn’t the best at drawing but I think I’ve really improved and I think it really shows. I super excited to start Herzog! 

Here’s the link to Chloe Devine’s website: Chloe Devine 

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃