šŸ¦ šŸ§¬Plato the ProtozoašŸ©ŗšŸ¦ 

Hello everyone!

This is officially my last scimatics blog post. Wow from the time Iā€™m writing this we only have three more days (not including weekends) until school ends. Iā€™m excited but also kind of sad because my first year of high school is over. I know Iā€™ve said this before but wow itā€™s gone by fast. At the beginning of the year I wasnā€™t sure weather Iā€™d made the right decision choosing seycove but, looking back I think I did.

This project was called Comic Cells and like the name suggests our end product was a comic about how cells interact with viruses, diseases, ect.. Our driving question for this project was ā€˜How do cells and diseases interact?ā€™ So like my normal scimatics blog posts Iā€™ll talk about my core competencies and then Iā€™ll go through the milestone then finally the conclusion. Enjoy!

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

This core competency like normal is about your time management in class. I think while still extending on this competency Iā€™ve been slipping a little bit especially because itā€™s the end of the year. I think I should work on focusing myself but also not distracting others from their work by indulging their conversation especially when I know their not finished their work. I might have been slipping a bit but, I still think I did really well on this competency because I completed most of my work in class (the only homework being the workbooks) so I think that shows how well I managed my time in class.

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies.

This competency was about our knowledge on vocabulary. The criteria was that we used correct science vocabulary and that we had at least 10 science words in our end product (the comic). I think Iā€™ve had this competency down since milestone 4 because in that milestone I comprised a list of possible science vocabulary that I could use in my comic. I didnā€™t just write a couple of words down that I had no clue the meaning of but I tried to understand what the heck those words meant so I could use them properly. I think an area for improvement would be that I could add even more more that were maybe a little more complicated than the ones I had.

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence.

This competency was about how the cells/bacteria/other scientific characters interacted and that they interacted in a scientific way. This competency was also about how logical the outcomes/symptoms were. I think my comic definitely had all these elements but there definitely could have been more cell interaction. The most room for improvement would probably be in the beginning half because thereā€™s barely any cell interaction, itā€™s mostly world building so I definitely could have done more there. The second half of my story definitely had lots of cell interaction because itā€™s all inside the body.

Now we can move onto the milestones starting withā€¦

Milestone 1: Project Start Mind Map

For this milestone like normal we wrote down what we knew and what we didnā€™t know so hereā€™s my mindmap:

Milestone 2: Disease Wanted Poster

For this milestone we created a wanted poster for our disease, virus, etcā€¦ it had to have lots of information about hate et we did and it had to be wanted for something. I did mine in the format of a new paper article:

Milestone 3: Khan Cells Test

This milestone is pretty self explanatory, we took a few quizzes to test our knowledge on cells and diseases these were my results:

Milestone 4: Storyboard

For this milestone we had to create a shorter and much ore rough draft of our comic. I went and did a little extra work by compiling a list of possible science words as I previously mentioned so here it is:

Milestone 5: Comic Book

Now itā€™s actually time to do our final comic books mines about the protozoa plasmodium. It follows the story of an anopheles mosquito called Maria until she infects a human with plasmodium (one of the causes of malaria)Ā  and then the story switches to Plato the plasmodium protozoa and follows him in his journey. Enjoy!

This is the comic in book form:

Plato the Protozoa (EPUB)

If that doesnā€™t work for you this is it as a PDF:

Plato the Protozoa (PDF)

This project was great way to end off the year. Iā€™m super excited to see what next year brings!

Thanks for reading – SydneyšŸ™ƒ