❄️☃️The Winter Exhibition and Finding Religion🕎✝️

Hello everyone!

As it stands I’m writing this from New York because due to weather we can’t fly home! The amount of snow in Vancouver sounds insane right now and currently there’s a storm in New York. So yeah life is crazy but, were hoping to get to my grandparents house on Christmas Day! Not ideal but, we’re making it work.

Today post is about the Winter Exhibition! The theme for this one was Avatar and how the movie translates to our day to day life. As I hope you know for each exhibition the different grades have a main focus for what they present. This exhibition the grade 9’s made documentaries about a theme in avatar and how that translates to our society. 

In class we watched the movie so we could pick out a couple themes from the movie. Themes (not to be confused with genres) are an important idea that is woven throughout a story. It’s not the plot or the summary, but something a little deeper. A theme links a big idea about our world with the action of a text. The theme I picked was religion because I felt that it was a big part of the movie shown through the Navi’s connection with their hair, the rituals they do, and the god they worship ey-wa. More will be revealed when you watch my video!

You guy’s are very lucky because you get an in-depth story of how I made this film which the YouTube viewers do not get. So, we started off by figuring out what we were gonna do as I mentioned above. We did that by making a story board now spoiler alert my story had some very big changes, stay tuned to find out more. Here’s my original storyboard:

The next thing we needed to do was email the people we wanted to interview so, I email a mosque and a church but, unfortunately they didn’t reply 🙁

So while I brainstormed what I was gonna do since the original interviewee’s didn’t respond I took some b-roll which is basically the footage you see while an interview is happening you’ll see in the video. 

Eventually I figured out what I was gonna do about my interviews. My solution was interviewing my old after school instructor Mira, my mom’s coworker Idit, and my friends! I think this was a pretty good solution.

So, I’ve now made my video, I’ve edited, spliced, critiqued, and put everything together so now, now it’s exhibition day. Chaos I mean my group made a pillar into a tree. I’ve only done a couple of exhibitions but, I’d say by far this has been my craziest one to date. Here are some photos from eh day. We didn’t take too many because it was so crazy but, we had multiple people tell us that our room looked really good.

Had some fun face painting!
The Home Tree!
Black light lamps meant to represent the ey-wa (floating jelly fish things)
Working super hard!
Some of our room – the projector and some of the tables
Our food/drink station – The tonic water glowed under the black light!
Our face painters hard at work
A mountain banshee replica

Now the moment you’ve all been waiting for my documentary titled finding religion.

Here’s the links to my group members blogs:

Grade 9’s

Blondie

Tom

Jupiter

Charlie M

Magnus

Frankie

Grade 8’s

Neko

Kennedy

Lila

Matteo

Izzy

Evelyn

Kaia

Thanks for reading -Sydney🙃

One thought on “❄️☃️The Winter Exhibition and Finding Religion🕎✝️”