What Fraction Of Our Time Is Screen Time (FINAL OVERVIEW POST)

Hi, my name is Sylas Koop. I hope you are all having a fantastic day. This is a short but sweet little paragraph to show what our first project was in Scimatics . Every project in PLP starts off with a driving question, and your challenged to come up with an answer to the driving question as well as showing how you came up with the answer to the driving question. The driving question for our first Scimatics project was “What Fraction Of Our Time Is Screen time?” I found this question very interesting because we go on screens almost every single day, whether its entertainment, or studying for a math quiz. For projects we have something called milestones, every time you do a milestone you take one step forward to answering the driving question. For our first milestone we were challenged to answer seven questions and put the answer into fractions. One of the questions was about the number of people who have dark hair in our class which is 20/26. I found our first milestone to be easy but definitely got things in the fraction mood. For our 2nd milestone we had a short little fraction quiz witch was the thing to get us back on track for our fractions. I found I liked milestone 2 the best because it was the milestone that really started to get me in the mood with fractions. Then, milestone 3 was another adding and subtracting fractions quiz which I found to be a little more challenging but was definitely the one to get all the cob webs off my brain. Milestone 4 was the one that really got us close to answering the driving question. For milestone 4 our class was challenged to make a chart showing all of our screen time from Wednesday all the way to Tuesday. This chart contained really important information regarding screen time, it showed how many times I was off screens compared to on screens.The numbers were actually really frightening to see because I go on screens every single day not even knowing that I’m spending more then 10 hours on a screen a day. Here is a picture of one of the charts I made for this project.

As you can see I am on my iPad a lot! Most of which is entertainment. This really surprised me because I thought I would be spending way more time on a screen at school then home.

For milestone 5 we were told to make pie charts and show the statistics for how many hours of screen time I’m having. This was our final advertisement draft and an extra thing I added was the line chart showing how many more hours of entertainment I’m having compared to productivity hours. Milestone 6 was our last milestone for this project, we were challenged to do a short 1 minute class presentation to show off our screen time chart. We were also told that we need to explain the chart and all its features. I really liked the class presentation because I think it was the thing to really show off your hard work and be proud of yourself.

Curricular Competencies:

Applying and innovating: I used this skill on the project by working as a team and asking my partner questions, we like to help each other a lot in class. I think I could of done a little better at focusing because i go on my iPad and sometimes to play games in class so I think I need a little bit more work on that. I try to work as hard as I can on projects and I love to help people find an answer to there homework. I think this really shows my care and affection for self, others, and the community.

Understanding and solving: I think I did a job on my spread sheet and showing the span of screen time through out the week. I think I worked good as a team and I also did a great job at calculating time in the spread sheet, I am going to use this skill for so many things in my life and now that I know how to use spreadsheets I can track not only my screen time but also how many hours I’m sleeping or how many minutes I spend walking to school. I also think I did best with the fractions quizzes that Mr. Gross gave to our class as a little fraction refresh.

Communicating and representing: I used this skill to come up with a design for my pie chart. I chose a 3D pie chart because I wanted my design to stand out, I wanted to give it that look that will catch someone’s eye. I also chose a 3D pie chart because it also gives it a futuristic look. The thing I think I did best in this project is communicating my screen time chart.

In the end, this project was an extremely fun and interesting project to do. The driving question was the thing that really kept me moving throughout this project and I believe the answer to the driving question is, the fraction of time we spend on screens is insane and it really shows how you use such an innovative piece of technology for so much. It really shows how far we have come in society. This was a fun project and I want to thank my Scimatics partner Carter for helping get through this project. Until next time, peace.