Destination Imagination Regionals ‘19

“WHO’S HOT GLUE GUN IS THIS?!”

It has once again reached that time of the year. Destination Imagination.

This year our class had three teams competing. The technical, scientific and fine arts challenges were taken up by PLP 10. 

[THE SCIENTIFIC CHALLENGE]

I, alongside Morgan, Maggie, Alivia, and Emily, are competing in the Scientific challenge. It’s been a change for us, when most of our skills lay in other areas.

This year the scientific challenge is a Medical Mystery. We must create a solution that explains an illness that must fall apron a human character in our performance. We must use a Symptomatic to explain the symptoms of the illness. We have to come to a diagnosis by the end of our performance. 

So that’s what we did.

[THE CHALLENGES OF THE CHALLENGE]

I think this has been one of the hardest DI experiences I’ve had. While our final challenges, Instant and Main, went very well, there was quite an excessive amount of behind the scenes troubles. 

It starts off with a focus that put way too much on the story and not the science. If it wasn’t clear from the video (or watching it wasn’t in your plans), we did a Dora The Explorer parody. If you’re a DI contestant, or an expert, you would be a bit concerned about how long it took for us to come up with that. All of that time we could have been using to figure out our most important parts of our challenge; the science.

Now as the script writer and the DRI of the story, I have to say I think the story was fine, great, as good as it could’ve been in the time that I was given to make it work. Saying that though, I’ve never had to make so many changes to a script in my life. Everything I wrote was critiqued and fixed, which was really good because that’s how it gets better. There was just so much critique being given to the script, that there was other people’s work that wasn’t being done because they were so focused on jobs that were already being done. 

Our Symptomatic was untested. It was just barely built in time for the regional tournament. Right before we went on, we filled up the symptomatic with water (BIG CLUE: DON’T USE HYDRAULICS. JUST DON’T), and, shocking as it is, it leaked. Maggie made it work in our story, improvising lines to make it seem slightly more smooth to have a broken symptomatic. Obviously this is something we will be fixing before Provincials. 

[THE CHANGES]

The SHOCK. There’s things to change. There’s always things to change. 

First thing we have to change is the symptomatic. It leaks, so big changes needed there so that it… doesn’t do the leaking. 

Second thing, the script. Even after all the changes before regionals, there’s still changes I need to make before Provincials. This is because of points lost to the audience responding to our performance, which we were not expecting them to do.  

Thirst thing, small changes. We need to re-design and make our team sign, fix the paint on our backdrop and change the music for our songs.

Get ready for an amazing, smooth, and comedic story coming to the Destination Imagination Provincial Tournament this April.