Oregon ad!(deep cove ad reflection sequel)

A couple of weeks ago we in the grade eight PLP class got to go to Oregon for a field school. This field school had multiple focuses, first was to learn more about tectonics on the west coast. The second focus was to do a advertising unit and the company we got to make an ad for was Clark’s family restaurant.

We got started on the trip at 6:15am in the morning and Ben, Meg, Kaia, Jude, and I got to go in the van first. Later then we realized that the people in the van were in the same advertising group. Our first food stop was Clark’s. It was the first time any PLP Oregon class went to Clark’s. We stopped at Clark’s and at first sight i knew it didn’t have five star advertising. We went in and ate lunch and rested a bit, then everyone but my group and I left so we could interview the manager. The person we interviewed was very nice and answered each of our questions correctly.

The PLP 8 Oregon Coast Field School is underway! Even though this is our oldest regular trip, we are still doing new things! Our first visit to Clarks Restaurant was great! Tasty burgers and outstanding service! Staff were very generous answering students for their advertising projects. #PLP8 #fieldschool #oregoncoast #NVSD44
Clarks on a pano

These were our questions. Below questions are our notes.

Questions: 

• tell us about yourself
  • How did it get started
  • How long have you been around 
  • Who is your main customers
  • Who’s your owner
  • Why did you start
  • How do you advertise 
  • What’s your theme
  • What kind of things do you advertise
  • How do you tell people what your doing
  • Pathos, logos, ethos
  • Can we take some photos?
  • Do you think that you have specialty?
  • How often do you create a new dish
  • Do you think that you have promotions ( taco Tuesday) 
  • What kind of feeling do you want to give the audience
  • Do you have a logo or something that represents you
  • What mood do you want to give. With these questions answered we left and thought about our first drafts. Clarks pictured below.
  • Notes
    • moved next door
    • Manager is landlord
    • Depends on season
    • Summer- regulars, locals
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • Word by mouth
    • Radio station
    • Fliers 
    • Specials on weekends
    • Major holidays have special stuff
    • The milkshakes
    • A family business
    • All ages
    • Burgers and milkshakes are specials
    • Burger harbour 16 years champion
    • Friendly staff
    • Cheerful
    • Pathos

We got back from Oregon on a Saturday and the next Monday we started our ad draft one. My first draft for Clark’s was terrible, it had a bad photo and bad text box arrangement. I got some feedback on the ad then decided to change it entirely. The second draft was way better, I changed everything the picture, the text, the wording. After feedback I changed it again by changing the wording and the text box size and added filters to the picture.

• Ad draft number one
    .                                     .                                                                                                                             I decided again to change it up completely. The next drafts were probably some of my best ones. Let me tell you what I did. I changed the background picture to three of Clark’s dishes instead of one. I changed the wording, text box, and fonts. The fourth draft was ok, I thought it was my best Oregon ad draft yet. I got more critique for the ad and started my second last draft. My fifth draft included better wording, visibility and sizing. My teachers had a few more things they wanted though. My sixth and final draft was pretty good if i do say so myself. This final draft included the Clarks logo, adress, and even better visibility. I finally got the message that my ad was all good.
    • Ad draft number four
                                                                               .                                                                                                                The final draft is done and I’m so done with advertising for the moment. This unit has taught me a lot about how advertising is huge in our world and how much it shapes our worldview(sneak peak into next unit). This was one of my first times doing the critique process on a big project and I think that this has been an pretty fun experience over all. This has been fun but I’m into a new unit now, post soon.

One thought on “Oregon ad!(deep cove ad reflection sequel)