Alberta Reflection

Hey I’m back again this time for PGP. This is our first PGP assignment of the year and it’s time it is to reflect on the Alberta field school. We knew about this trip going into grade nine. This trip is very early in the year as we need to get to Calgary for the beakerhead spectacle. This is a amazing steam festival but more on that later. This trip was super fun and interesting in many ways. The driving question for this trip was how does place impact who we are. I’m now going to talk about the trip.`

We started of the trip by getting up a 6 in the morning to get to the bus and leave. We spent most of the first day driving to three valley gap chateau and heritage ghost town. This chateau is about half an hour outside Revelstoke B.C. And is the only private ghost town in the North America. Our first assignment was to film a maker video in the ghost town. This place was really creepy with weird mannequins in every store. But back to the video. I was in Malaika, Anthony and Megs group. Our concept was a old west cartoon action comedy. It had me as a robber, Anthony as a damsel in distress and meg as a old grandma. I will put the video down below. After the filming we ate dinner and went to our rooms in the chateau. We got up the next day and we were on the road again.

We drove to lake Louise. This is a famous lake in the Rockies. We got time to look around and see the oddly blue water. We also got to see the lake Louise chateau. If you don’t know what it is, it looks a bit like a castle on the side of the lake. We then drove to the place we would be staying at For the next few nights, the hostel international lake Louise. The next day was one of the best on the trip. We woke up and went to mystaya canyon. This is a amazing canyon that has been cut by a river. It has straight up and down walls and amazing geology. We then kept going down the highway all the way to jasper national park. At jasper we got to go on the sky walk. This is much like the Grand Canyon sky walk where it just juts out across the canyon. It is 300 metres of the ground. After the skywalk we went to the Athabaskan glacier where we got to take a massive truck onto a glacier and got to walk around on it. After this amazing day we went back to the hostel for a good nights sleep.

That was our second night in lake Louise so it was time to move on. We drove to the town of Banff where we got to hang out for a bit. We then went to the cave and basin historic site and museum. This is one place were I feel like I could have done a little more. I did a little but I now see that I could have utilized my time more. I did a little did on the special snails that live there but I not want to learn more about all of this cave stuff. We then went to lake minnewanka for a boat cruise. Finally we finished by driving to Calgary.

we stayed in Calgary for three nights. Each of these were something different. The first day we went to the glen bow museum were we studied anthropology for a bit. We then got to look around and see the exhibits. After the museum we got lunch and then went to the studio bell. This is a music museum of canada. This was really quite interesting and we got to do a scavenger hunt throughout the entire museum. After the museums we went back to the hotel. The second we got up and got on the bus to drumheller. You might know this but drumheller is famous for Dinosaurs. In drumheller we went to the royal tyrell museum. This museum was great. And we had to make a short film on the spot there. We then went to spectral illuminations. This is A beaker head thing and it was really fun. The final night in Calgary is where we went to the beakerhead spectacle. This was really cool but the lines where very long. Then we got to see the beakerhead fashion show. This is just a place where tech designers show of their cool clothing. After this it was our last night in Calgary. We then got on the road and headed to Revelstoke. After a night in Revelstoke we went home.

Thank you for lasting through my blog post and I will see you next time.