Live Event

Hello I’m back again with another, yes another Maker blog post. This is another maker blog post that is crammed in to the end of term one. This blog post is on a live event. This live event could be anything from a internet stream to a climbing practice. The goal for this project was to make a live event video that shows the process of what you do at these places. So That means the routine you follow at practice or the games you play. So, now that you know all about what we are doing lets get right into the learning process.

We started often day with the announcement that we were going to be doing this project. We then got right to work with pre production. We started out with an action plan, this has every thing we want in our video in it. I decided that I wanted to document my climbing practice at the hive. I should really say bouldering which means climbing short climbs with no ropes. Anyway this would be tricky as these practices were two and a half hours long, so it would be hard to fit into a short video. This was my first problem. I decided to look at the core competencies for this video and I used the third one to help me. This competencies says that you took creative risks and used the right tools for the video. The video was a risk but I think i pulled the short video off. I decided to go with a short but sweet interview using iMovie to cut to the more important bits to save space. After I drew up the complete action plan I was ready to start filming.

I decided to use a Wednesday afternoon practice to film this video as my fellow PLP student and climbing buddy Owen came to the hive on the same day. He decided to go with a climbing practice video as well so we could help each other out along the way. We had a rather climbing practice with a warmup off the wall and on the wall. Now I came into my second problem. The problem was that my iPad was on the fritz. The camera was going all weird and changing filters with no warning. I decided to use all the tools on my iPad to a advantage. I first shut my iPad off and on and restarted it. I then restarted photos. I tried multiple ideas to keep it working like using clips and other video recording apps. I knew that filming over multiple days would not work so I tried my best and I won. I leveraged technology to my advantage to take an active role in learning on the fly and trying to make the best of it. In one of my clips there is a filter that turns on and off quickly but it happened only once. I was very happy with all my footage and I was ready to go into post production.

Me doing a dyno(big jump) in the main gym

I couldn’t wait to get into post production as this was one of the more fun videos I have made. This video was lots of fun filming as I love climbing a lot and I is fun to finally get to show it in a video. Post production was going very well until I was done a rough draft. The video was way to long and I that was not good. This was where i encountered my final problem. I asked my brother who was an ex-PLP student for some tips. He said to speak fast but clearly and don’t go into lots of detail. I also looked through some of my old videos and I found that the best way to make a video shorter was to cut the interview up. I decided to do that to my interview. Boom the video became fifty seconds shorter plus the redone narrative which took another twenty five seconds off. This brought my video total time down a lot and I thought it was very good. In the end my communication with others really helped my final video. Here is my final video draft.

Thank you for reading this entire blog post and I will see you again soon. If you have any questions just let me know in the comments. Thank you again.