Voices In The Cove

Hello everyone and welcome back to my blog. Today we are going to be reflecting on a project like no other, voices in the cove. Voices in the cove has been our most recent project in PLP 10 humanities and it has been quite a bit different to previous projects. Like almost all projects we have done it has included a podcast episode and the same project structure but the types of assignments were very interesting and new. Now that you know a bit about the project let’s introduce the driving question.

“How did Canadian life develop after World War 2.”

This question is very broad but I believe that we did enough work to come up with an answer to this question. I believe we did enough to answer this question so relates to the main aspects to post WW2 Canadian life.

For this project we utilized two different and broad competencies to work our

way through all the assignments.

“Continuity and change.”

And

“Discuss, listen, and speak”

These seem a bit broad but I’m going to be talking the occasions where I used the competencies well and occasions where I could have used the competencies better. 

Milestone 5 which is the podcast episode is one of my best uses of the competencies over the project. This podcast episode definitely had a lot of speaking but I think the way I discussed critique with my peers and teachers really made my episode what it is. I think that I was able to bring the idea of continuity and change very heavily into my episode. Talking about history I was able to really give clear and defined ideas for this competency.

My garage band final draft

Milestone 2, my podcast research was something that could have very much used work in. I think that if I had put a lot more focus on the continuity and change competency I could have had a much better final product. My research really didn’t show enough continuity and change and if I had gone for more I think that it would have ended up better.

Podcast research

Milestone 4, my podcast script was another example of good competency use. This assignment was a multi step, multi tiered thing that took a while. This is exactly why I needed to use the discuss, listen and speak competency well. I think through communication with my fellow class mates and my teachers I was able to come up with a very refined product that lead to an amazing final podcast episode.

The last assignment the I’m going to be talking about is milestone 1, practice interviews. I very much think that if I had payed a bit more attention to the competencies and especially used discuss, listen and speak more I would have made a bit better of a interview. Even though I was able to critique it I still realize looking back it could have been a lot stronger of a assignment if I payed more attention to the competencies.

Now that I have talked a little about the competencies I’m going to talk a bit about how this project was different and some work that I thought was different then usual. The first thing I think was the most different was the archival interview for the deep cove heritage society. We worked closely with the DCHS to help bring the voices of the cove to life and the archival interview was the main thing we did to help bring it to life. The link to DCHS is here and they would greatly appreciate the visits to their site and possible donations.

The interview lead directly into our final formal podcast episode. This episode has probably been one of my very favourite one to create and it had its ups and downs. For this episode I created some new music that I think really added to the episode. I also really took into account the competencies to make the best episode possible. Now that I have hyped the episode up you can listen to it right below.

I have talked about some of my best competency use, some of my work that could have been better and some things that I found interesting and different. Now it’s time for the conclusion and the answer to the driving question. The driving question seemed incredibly broad and tough to answer but I think that I have come up with an acceptable answer. 

“The end of the Second World War pushed Canada to go through major changes in economy, human rights and social programs that rebuilt the fabric of Canadian society.”

I think that this answer tackles the main aspects of the project that we have completed and it very much applies to the work that I completed over the course of the project. This answer makes sure that the main aspects of life (In my opinion) are covered in an acceptable way.

Now that I have finished with the driving question it’s time for the conclusion. I think that this project was very interesting and it has been one of my favourites this year. I think that the broad driving question and pretty broad competencies lead to a lot of self interpretation and a lot of work that needed to be independent and though provoking. This is probably the main reason why it was one of the better projects this year.

Thank you very much for reading my blog and I hope to see you next time.