What a way to start the year

This year we started our learning with a field trip through BC and we went all the way to Calgary!Ā 

Most of the writing that would usually be found in the blog post isnā€™t there. Thatā€™s because of the awesome book that we made as pretty much all the work for this project. Itā€™s linked at the bottom!

What do you need to know?

This project started at the start of school, Sep 7, and ended today Oct 28, so we had a long time to work on this project. There were two trips, trip onešŸ‘ and trip twošŸ¤“. I was on trip onešŸ—æ.Ā 

Driving Question / DQ

How has the geography of the West shaped us?

The geography of the west has shaped us by teaching us the diverse traditions and cultures that reside in western Canada is what I wrote down in my book.Ā 

I have been affected by the cultures in Canada since my first comings. My parents moved here in 2011, when I was young and I have noticed how my culture is different. One of the first things I was seeing when i moved here was the difference in culture. There were different foods, holidays, songs, and on a bigger scale people acted different. I will always remember when I was eight how one of my friends missed a week of school to go to Disneyland. First off with my dad, missing school is a big Nono, unless Iā€™m sick and two Disneyland?! Lucky kid, all I got to say. Now my classmate is in Hawaii for halloween. Just because she can. And weā€™re staring a new project right now so sheā€™s gonna have a LOT in her coconut cup.

Ā I think the cultures which I know arenā€™t everywhere. I live in a wealthy district, so naturally hearing of these extravagant vacaā€™s around the world isnā€™t as uncommon as in like OHIO – linked to the memes explained video.Ā  or most other places.

Competency – Questioning

Throughout this project we had to gather information to put into our books, which sounds basic at first, which is what I though too. The reason why this project, at least for me was so challenging was because I didnā€™t know what to research. I barely knew the question. How has the geography of the west shaped who I am? I didnā€™t know. This project really came down to figuring out what I should be paying attention to, what notes i should be writing and what photos I should be taking. A lot of this I didnā€™t know until after we went on the trip. As fun as the trip was it was about the learning that we went on it, and looking back I didnā€™t notice that.

Moral of the story, learn your driving questions future PLP years.

Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I liked making it šŸ›šŸ—暟ø

Enjoyment rating 70/100

Carried by the trip.Ā 

The book was ok, but it took me a while to get used to it, and understand what I should be doing. Once we went over it in class I could actually start work on the book.Ā