Laser Laws Reflection Post

Blog post

Alright, My first Scimatics  quarter has been very fun thanks to Mr Gross, friends, and just what we do for the subject. We’ve gotten to do so many fun experiments, worksheets, and a few tests along the way which were a little road blocker but weren’t impossible to do. Math is one of my strong point and can actually a bit fun sometimes thats why some worksheets were fun. Science I could say the same but that just makes it that much more fun to learn. The science worksheets were my least favourite part by a whole lot because you have to read a textbook that takes half an hour plus then do a worksheet that takes hours on some stuff that just makes no sense and a bit that does but you don’t learn much. More about that kind of stuff later. Ill break this text up into a few parts like milestones, things I liked about this quarter, things I disliked, and a few pictures of assignments and projects.

Milestones and tests

First of all there were the milestones, oh the milestones. They are always a big part of every PLP project and they can range from being kinda fun to straight paragraphs that take a while to write and are on the not so fun side of school. But for this laser laws project we had our first test which was on a moderately easy topic but took so long to complete the first time. I took a break and learned the concept a bit more but then I aced it a bit after. The Pythagorean theorym was very complicated at first, most of the class had no idea what we were learning but eventually we figured it out just like the test. It looked a little bit like this but trust me its a lot  more complicated than it looks.

About the laser laws project and previous projects

We had a few other milestones including stuff like the project start mind map which was fairly easy but included a lot of information and learning material. Then everything started to get more or less related to the final project the laser display. It was probably the biggest project out of the three that we did including the fractions of your time at the start which was very math related. Short and sweet. Then we had the tectonic changes project that was a quite, interesting project to say the least. We did lots of programming then lots of physical stuff while building the game board. Then we have the laser laws project which took a lot of worksheets and practice to get the concept, but in my opinion it was the most interesting one out of the bunch. I’m not going to add too many photos like the big mind map of what I’ve learned the proof is in the pudding for this one in all of the worksheets and milestones I’ve done. If you want to see any of them shoot me a text and i will be glad to show you I just don’t want to make this post too long. Learning about the law of reflection was fun with all of the protractors and stuff. What we had to do for the final project was make a laser triangle  that used a few mirrors and a laser pointer to make a triangle. I see why we did it because it uses the law of reflection and you can use the Pythagorean theorym on it. I have a few pictures that I will put at the end of our groups triangle which may have ended up in a double triangle but it still looked sick and sort of worked. Ill leave a few pictures at the end of the post.

Curricular Competencies

Questioning and predicting: I think i did decently well in this competency.Throughout this project I’ve found so many things that I had no idea about and asked so many questions to help me understand the concept of what I was doing. Like I’ve mentioned earlier in this text I’ve been very curious about many things including a the Pythagorean theorym. Some classmates already knew about it so it became more of a personal interest. I had to work by myself to solve that problem by figuring out that topic. The second competency is Communication and Representation. Ive tried to be as open as possible to my teacher and parents if I didn’t know something and most of the time gotten the answer. Guess all you have to do is communicate and all your problems will be solved. Ive also tried to show my learning and represent my knowledge all into the final project. Some of it went well and some, well, didn’t as much. The last one is Applying and innovating. Ive definitely helped build the final model but my laser triangle design did not go as well. I tried to be unique and do a double triangle but it defeated the whole purpose. But after all I did work together with my team to apply our deigns and create a final model. This project has been very fun and so has scimatics in general, cant wait to do this again in quarter 4.