“How do people and the environment protect each other?”

Back in business with another assignment and another blog post, This time a little different as always. Our focus for this project was to write to a federal minister about a local issue with the environment, that we can call to action to and help fix. The issue I picked was how local mountain bikers destroy animals habitats and livability. This project was a little different than normal having 3 big milestones rather than 6 or 7 smaller ones. Ill write about the process of making the letter, learning about what we have to write, and finally our experience sending the letter, Let’s get it.

More on my mountain bike issue topic, I’m a mountain biker myself and love getting outdoors and having some fun, but as I said there was a issue with that. Basically the mountain bikers go out to have fun, realize that the trails are getting out of condition, and end up digging brand new trails deeper in the forest than the previous ones they rode. What that does is it digs up dirt right on animals houses, that leaving them no home with a bad living condition. Therefore that may lead to not quite extinction, but an obvious reduce in that animal species. Us humans need those animals to live so we have to treat them how we want to be treated.

That lesson right there was actually a common lit story reference from ‘hey come on out’. These common lit story’s and the connections we had to make from them to our letters was actually a huge part of out project. For those who don’t know common lit is a learning platform where a majority of the assignments are mini stories that we read and have to answer questions on. The assignments that we did on there relate to our letters quite a bit and helped us come up with good content on out letter. While writing to a government minister the last thing that we’d want to happen is him thinking were literal 3rd graders that got taught how to protest and not how to write. I’m glad our teachers exposed us to that kind of learning platform, even though I wasn’t the greatest at it near the beginning, it improved my writing and I feel like I’m better now.

More on letter, I forgot to say I’m writing the the honourable Jonathan Wilkinson who happens to be the minister of the environment and climate change of Canada. The best part is that he is from and lives in North Vancouver so he may have experienced the issue I’m writing about first hand. As I said I started out pretty rough with my writing as you’ll see in my early drafts, and no way will I be able to send that to a minister. In my later drafts I include things like evidence, proper grammar, and a secondary plan in case my call to action doesn’t work. You can see my cal to action and all my improvements in the pictures of my drafts(before on top after of bottom, and I had troubles making a slideshow)

Now that I’m all done writing my letter, now we have to send it. We did this in a pretty cool way by walking down to deep cove to find a mailbox, and drop in in by hand. Ms. Maxwell took a bunch of our photos while at the mailbox to prove we completed this project and just for memories. Thank all of you for taking the time to learn about this project, and you can see my pic down below👇, Cya!