The Ultimate Design Challenge

I’d like to start out this blog post by saying that this was one of the most open projects I’ve done all year. You could choose to create any item you want, in your own unique way. Now, these posts I’ve realized are not supposed to be about explaining the project, they are about reflecting on it. I’m not really sure how to reflect very well, so I’m gonna try my best and show you what it means to me to reflect.

This project was very engaging and gave us lots of creativity and influence on the final product. I decided to do a duo partnership with Kai (blog link below). Me and Kai decided to make a pizza, but since it didn’t have many shapes, I realized, I had Kai make a pizza box to go along with it.

The Hazardous Heroes

Destination Imagination. A unique and cool experience for sure. I really like this creative program’s idea of inspiring creativity in a new, fun and collaborative way for students. The thought of having multiple different types of challenges was also really interesting to me because you weren’t all stuck with the same challenge, and it provided a bit of variety into the mix.

Atom Dodger

This unit of Scimatics was by far the most fun so far. We were assigned with coding a game/simulation related to the molecular theory, the subatomic theory, atoms or anything of the sort. I found this idea really fun because I really like working with technology (one reason of why I joined PLP) and I used to be in a coding camp too. Now without further ado, time to talk about my game.

Atom Dodger 1.0

My game was really fun to code because I had recently been getting into coding again and I like to test my abilities. It was a fun challenge to try and code, fix, and play my game. So in the game, the goal is to get 3 atoms/states of matter researched. You do this by completing 3 levels of dodging atoms flying at you each at different speeds. Use arrow keys to dodge.

The Renaissance Reflection

The Renaissance was an important time period in history, and I’m here to reflect on what I learned the Renaissance project that we did in Humanities. Just a reminder of what we did in this project; created a triptych (a picture or relief carving on three panels,Β typically hinged together side by side and usedΒ as an altarpiece) includes β€”>, wrote a paragraph about either an innovator, an artistic accomplishment, an innovation, or a societal chance, triptych also included a photo of us (Memoji, Bitmoji, photo), and the most significant development that you chose from Renaissance era. First off, I’m going to show my triptych, then reflect on it, show off my specific paragraph, then reflect on that,Β then draw a conclusion. Now, time to show you what I did.

My Triptych

I put a lot of work into my triptych, and as you can see I chose some pretty unique things. For my innovator, I chose William Shakespeare because he directed and created many famous plays that affected lots of people. For an artistic accomplishment, I chose the Mona Lisa because personally I think that most people know this famous painting and this was a very significant item of choice. I chose the parachute as my significant invention because I wanted to challenge my self by proving a less significant invention to actually be just as significant. Lastly, I chose access to knowledge and education as my societal chance because I feel like those two things are key in a person’s successful life. I had a lot of fun making the triptych because the whole idea of the triptych to me was new and I thought it was really cool show things off in that sort of style.

The Paragraph

”The parachute; a safety invention that turned into so much more. What started out as a thoughtΒ  is now something used by military specialists. I find that the parachute has been a very significant invention from the Renaissance era and this invention matters it me.

The original idea behind the creation was noble, and this idea is what sparked creativity in many others, and saved many lives. The idea that Garnerin thought of when he attempted to create this invention was to slow an individual’s fall when jumping from a high altitude. This was a good idea for lots of reasons. One of my favourite examples is as follows: (Scene: burning building upper floor) you could put on your parachute and jump out a window to safety without injuring yourself too much.

In 1783, Leonardo da Vinci and Fausto Veranzio invented the very first parachute, although a vague drawing idea for a parachute was discovered all the way back in the 1470s in Renaissance Italy.

The parachute was used for both military use, and for thrill, and that has continued to the present. The parachute may not be the most significant invention, but it sure is up there.”

My paragraph was inspired by the under-appreciated parachute. I think it was an important invention because:

One reason I find the parachute to be so significant is because with it, people experience the thrill of their lives that would not be possible to experience without this invention. What I mean by this is skydiving. It would not be possible to, without the parachute, experience such a thing. I mean, imagine tying to skydive with a hang-glider (P.S. that would not work out great).Β Another reason why the parachute is so important to me is because you can do so many cool things with it. One thing you can do is ride a bike off a cliff and survive! (https://youtu.be/raWeLOpo56A) Another thing you can do is go skydiving (really cool [definitely something I want to do in my lifetime]). (https://youtu.be/rTM8vXtdIUA) (https://youtu.be/j54R3P76aS4) Skiing is another cool thing you can do with parachutes, and it looks really beautiful (https://youtu.be/u6QUODOxvgw)Β My final reason on why the parachute has been such a significant invention is because it has helped people get from air to ground safely without injuring themselves. This has become especially useful in the army when they are doing covert missions and need to sneak behind enemy lines. It is extremely helpful in the military as well as just in the regular world.Β That’s just a few reasons why the parachute is important. It is extremely helpful in the military as well as just in the regular world. The parachute is unparalleled in the significance column in my opinion.

In conclusion, this project as a whole was a really enjoyable experience for me and a very pleasant project.

Thanks for Reading My Blog!

The End

That’s a Wrap! Learning Advance

Hello and welcome to my Learning Advance themed blog post. The Learning Advance was something I didn’t attend and yet I still learned a lot in my week at Seycove.

The Learning Advance:

This was basically outdoor school but PLP themed. I heard that they did a lot of fun games but also did a lot of boring school work. The goal of the learning advance was to β€œadvance” our learning by giving us some fresh air.

My Book:

My book was about what the week was like during the learning advance while I stayed at school. I shouldn’t spoil much about the book yet since you are about to read it but all that I will say is that it was a really chill and fun week.

FYIs:

A few things I want to let the reader know about:

– I didn’t go on the PLP trip to Loon Lake

– I worked in the library

– Originally the link wasn’t working so that’s why there may be some improv sections in it where I did my best from what I had that day

β€œAt Seycove” Learning Experience:

Extra Detail:

One other thing that I was able to do while I was at the absent week was make word art for both my Destination Imagination group (top) and the group that the remaining PLP created (The Remainers [bottom]).

Conclusion:

Overall, the Learning Advance was a really cool idea and I would have really enjoyed going. I heard from friends that it was a unique experience for them. From the sound of it, this experience is a new way to learn and an effective one at that. I think that in the week that I stayed at school was a perfect time for growth as a learner. I learned a lot of new skills while the trip was happening and I’m sure my classmates did too. In the future, I plan to work on my collaboration skills so that I can work better with my tea

mPOL Presentation

Welcome to my presentation!

Today, I will be talking about every subject so far this year and highlighting the most fun projects I did in each subject.

Humanities:

The Medium is the Message AKA Creating Ads:

For the first project, we were assigned a local business and were tasked with creating an ad for them. Β Me and my group were assigned a local real estate agent (Patricia Houlihan). We went through multiple stages before achieving a final design that both the business and our group liked. At the start, we were just creating our own personal ones that we thought the business would like. Then, we combined ideas with our group members to make a rough draft group ad. Β We all got a turn to get a group interview with David Hepburn, an ad creator agency. We ended up choosing Ruby’s comic book theme and Makai’s mountain background. In the end, this project was a pretty fun startup to a first year of high school.

The Outsiders:

For this project, we read a classic novel both at school and at home, and partook in book discussions every 2-3 chapters. Near the end of the project, we got assigned a scene from the book and started practicing making that scene into a tableau (a group of models or motionless figuresΒ representing a scene from a story or from
history) to perform at the winter exhibition. We were then supposed to transpose the scene into what it might look like in 2021. Me and my group got the Darry slapping Ponyboy scene. We had a lot of fun practicing the tableau. This was a fun project and I gotta say that this was the highlight project of Humanities so far.

Working with Words AKA Poems

For the latest project, we were charged with creating multiple different types of poems over the course of a few weeks and then told to make it into and eBook. It was supposed to be centred around our worldview personally. Not only were there poems in the eBook, but also complementary text (e.g. photos, videos, or drawings that complement the poem) and meaning statements (audio recordings telling the reader, in relation to the driving question [How might I construct text that shows who I am right now?], the meaning behind the poem). At the end of the project, as a presentation of our learning, relatives and friends were invited to watch a live stream of the β€œCoffee House Performance”, where we would show off the poems that we created in class that same day to show them how neat poems can be. Overall, Humanities has been a really fun subject and I can’t wait to do it again next semester.

Scimatics:

Fractions of your Time:

This was the probably the easiest Scimatics project so far. We were told to track our screen time and make note of the different devices and subjects on that respective device. We then made a graph/diagram showing the different types. Even though I could easily understand all the data, others had a hard time figuring it out, probably due to them not being the ones recording the info. Overall, it was a pretty enjoyable starter project to begin the school year with, with easy to follow instructions that most new grade 8s could probably understand.

Tectonic Chances:

We started off by learning more about tectonic plates, mid-ocean ridges, and other things to do with plate tectonics. We then started brainstorming how we could incorporate these vocabulary words into the board game or card game that we’d be creating for it. Me and my partner ended up making a tectonic plate quiz game. We were supposed to include chance in it but I ended up forgetting.

Laser Laws:

Laser Laws has to be the best project in Scimatics so far. It was really cool to experiment with the different angles of lasers and how it could make a cool shape with the right measurements. My group members and I made our laser display space themed, with a funny spaceman reaching out, and our battery pack hidden inside a NASA spaceship. I thought that was pretty clever. One problem that appeared near the end was the fact that our battery pack was dying! This was a BIG problem because we couldn’t remove the batteries from the spaceship without knocking the laser and messing up the trajectory. Luckily, a classmate was able to give us a second battery pack, which I quickly thought to us to just move the wires and connect it to that instead of moving the first battery pack. It didn’t look as good but at least it worked! After that, with the help of no lights and spray smoke, we had one of th most powerful lasers in the room! This was definitely my favourite project so far in Scimatics.

Maker:

Becoming a PLP Learner:

Introducing us at the start of the year to PLP, we have this project. The end goal of this project was to show what you learned so far and prove that you were worthy of the title PLP learner. We learned a lot of cool techniques to making things and used a lot of fun apps. We also learned a lot more about ourself and the world through this first project. At the end of the day, everything went great and we learned a lot.

Constructing Creative Communication:

This project had 2 parts. We were split up into 2 groups: Herzog and Carr. Two famous people with two different talents. Carr people would practice drawing and learn new tips and tricks. The Herzog people practiced their photography skills and worked on new angles and approaches to photo taking. Half way through, once you were finished with that topic, you would switch to the other group. Overall, we learned a lot of things about both subjects and learned some really neat techniques that will definitely come in handy in the future. Personally, I liked Herzog the best, because I want to be a professional photographer, even though i already knew most of the tactics they were teaching us. This was my favourite subject for Maker.

Geek Out Blog Challenge:

This project was a fun and easygoing one. We got to choose a topic that we are really interested in, write blogs about it, and then let people read it online. I chose to write my blog on music; for example, the songs I like to listen to or play on instruments, my musical history, and much more. This was a pretty open project where you could just ramble on about your interests without hesitation.

Destination Imagination:

This is an ongoing program that I can’t spoil much about. All I can tell you is that we are each assigned a challenge and compete by creating inventions, making stories, and then doing an unknown instant challenge. At the end, I’ll definitely do a blog post detailing everything, but until then, adios!

Thanks for Reading!

Multi-Touch eBook

A fun topic to end off the first semester: poetry. There are many forms of poetry. It’s a cool subject to learn about. I find poetry as a way of letting out emotions, feelings, and opinions.

My favourite poem that I created was my self-portrait poem. Here it is:

Who am I?

This is the poem where I explain.

Draw you a picture of myself out of words.

I like green.

It is a clean colour.

It shows new life.

I like cats.

They are very fluffy and adorable.

I love my family.

They are with me every step of the way.

They have shaped my worldview greatly.

I like showing memes to people.

I like this because I also like to make people laugh.

I like making people happy.

I like poems.

They are a way of letting out emotions and feelings through words.

I find poems as a sort of coping method for some people.

I dislike war.

War is a terrible thing that uses violence as the solution to a problem.

I hate racism.

Racism is a terrible thing.

I like experiments.

There are so many things to learn.

A baking Soda volcano, a non-Newtonian fluid, or anything else your mind can come up with.

I like school.

School helped me make all of this.

Now for my eBook:

The Laws of Lasers

3) Write about each curricular competency from the evaluation rubric
write an example of how you used/improved/need to improve each one in a short paragraph.

Introduction:

Hello, my name is Cameron, and welcome to my extremely overdue Scimatics post. In this post, I will be talking about my project end mind map and what I learned throughout the project. I will also be talking about each curricular competency from the evaluation rubric and how I used, improved, and need to improve in each area.

My Project End Mind Map:

Questioning and predicting:Β Demonstrate a sustainedΒ intellectual curiosity aboutΒ a scientific topic or problemΒ of personal interest:

Our group hypothesized that the lasers would form a 90-degree triangle when we angled the mirrors based on our calculations and measurements, which demonstrated intellectual curiosity. While the calculations were correct, the laser’s battery pack was dying and would not project the laser correctly, so we had to use critical thinking to complete the assignment.

Communicating andΒ Representing: RepresentΒ mathematical ideas inΒ concrete, pictorial, andΒ symbolic forms:

We had to use the Pythagorean theorem to determine how to angle the lasers correctly to create a 90-degree triangle made of laser beams. The theorem allowed us to determine the measurements of the 3 angles within the triangle. We also had to correct the angles of the mirrors and the direction of the laser multiple times to achieve the correct triangle.

Applying and innovating:Β Cooperatively designΒ projects:

We were innovative when the problem arose that our laser wasn’t working correctly. We were able to cooperatively problem-solve as a group. Our group also had a group discussion that made us come up with great ideas for the theme of the project and the design that we created.

Songs That I Like To Play On The Ukulele

Hello again! This is the second to last school assigned issue of Geek Out, although I will probably be posting more that aren’t school assigned. In this issue, I’ll discuss my favourite songs to play on my ukulele.

Here we go:

First off, we have Stay With Me by: Sam Smith. This was the first song I ever learned on the ukulele. We learned it in the music room at Dorothy Lynas (all credit goes to Mr. Drew [the music teacher], thanks so much). This is a really easy song to learn with a really easy to follow chord base. Great for beginners!

Stand by Me By: Ben E. King is another great song that only adds one extra chord to the mix. Would recommend to play.

Riptide by: Vance Joy is a fun and easy song to play with only 3 chords needed. If you are looking for a fun time, this is the song for you.

Hey, Soul Sister by: Train is a somewhat complicated song to learn at first but it gets easier as you practice. Plus it’s a really great song to sing to with friends. Campfire song worthy for sure.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow by: Israel Kamakawiwo’ole is an enjoyable song to play and sing if you know the right chords, which are easy to learn. This song is one of the best songs to play on the ukulele by far.

I Don’t Know My Name by Grace Wanderwall. This is by far my favourite song to play on the ukulele. It’s such a fun song to jam out to and great to play for friends and with friends. This is by far my most practiced song of all after my music teacher (Jorden [thanks!]) told me about it.

The Choir Performance of December

The Seycove choir performance was a big step in my musical career. I practiced and practiced until I finally got all the words right and mastered the key. That is why I chose to outline this photo.

Stage 1: Outlining

For the first step, I spent my time carefully tracing the outline of the photo that matched the picture behind it (thank god for layers πŸ˜…). The only problem I ran into was tracing the other person’s (Dara’s) feet, since they were blocked by the person sitting in front of the camera. That is why they may look wonky and disproportionate.

Step 2: Details

(Photo above depicts the outline comparison that I used, photo below depicts the side-by-side technique I used to get the right colours [more on that at the end of step] for filling the logo in)

I noticed that my drawing was looking a bit plain, so I decided to add some more details from the photo to make it look more interesting. This is also where I first decided to start colouring. As you can see below, I used a side-by-side comparison to eye drop the right colours I needed. I did this by grabbing the shirt from my closet and taking a photo of it in-app (Sketches Pro).

Step 3: Colouring

This was by far the most fun AND challenging part of the step-by-step process because the fill tool disliked me a lot. I had to change the outline to a different colour as to not confuse the fill tool. I used the same technique as in step 2 to get the colours right. Another reason that this was hard was because some of the smaller details, like the eyebrows and inner ear were to close to the outline, so every time I tried to change the inner details, it would change the outline too. I eventually just drew in the colours I wanted instead. I also had trouble with the smaller areas because they were so small that they would just merge with the outline and not fill the whole thing.

Step 4: Finish Up

This step is where you complete the piece and edit anything for last minute changes.

Step 5: Admire

Self Explanatory.

My Third Music Recording