New Year New Me

Welcome to my very first blog post of 2017! I sometimes look back at my older posts and just cringe. A lot. I think that says quite a bit about how I learned about how blog posts can be different from a regular write up that you make for your teacher. I’ve learned to add links to certain things which make writing these so much easier because I don’t have to do a lot of explaining. I’ve learned how to add gifs which add humour and they make my blog posts more enjoyable for people to read. These posts have also gotten more entertaining to write just because I can make these and have my writing reflect my personality by using humour, sarcasm and many puns. 

A little while ago in the flight 9 class, we did a project called “The Harry Potter Project” This was another Blue Sky project where we had to come up with an inquiry question related to Harry Potter that we could answer with our project. Myquestion was, *drumroll* “How can I recreate the Marauder’s Map to work at Seycove?” This question was inspired by an 11th grader named Chloe on a presentation night when I realized that the two previous questions I came up with sucked. After I had seen that my question had been approved, I began to worry a little bit about what I was going to do to answer this question. I don’t know a thing about coding and I’m just bad in general with technology. So, I spoke to ms Willemse and found out that in order for this project to work, I’d need to use beacons and place them around the school in the chosen areas and they’d send an alert to people’s iPhone as long as they’d already installed the app called “Locly“. Within this app, I made a Treasure Hunt. I first had a google docs document where I put in all the places that I thought had a deep meaning or that was a big part of Seycove. I researched and took pictures of these places that I would later insert into my treasure hunt. I made an account within the locly website and I got to know it a little by exploring the site. I then came across some really helpful tutorial videos for the locly app. These taught me how to put together the treasure hunt and how to bring in other apps. At times this could be very frustrating because I would want to make something one way but the app wouldn’t let me or nothing was explained about it in the tutorial videos. Other than that, this project was pretty fun to make and I loved making the clues for the treasure hunt. You won’t guess what I brought in for the treasure, peppermint candy canes! They were so cute and small and I was obsessed with them! Unfortunately, there wasn’t any treasure hunt because I couldn’t get my peppermint hands on the beacons but not to worry! I served them as our group’s food at the exhibition night and it went really well.
Now, for what you’ve all been waiting for, the clues! My first clue had been placed in ________ and I put it there because sports are a huge part of seycove. The second clue was an animated scratch kinda thing, like where you buy a 1 million dollar lottery ticket and you scratch to reveal whether you’ve lost or you’ve lost. This clue reveals a clue leading to the ___ room because so much incredible learning happens in that very room. The next clue was a trivia! The answer to this quiz was _____, because that’s what I brought in! And finally, you are told to head to a big pile of _____. 
As I explained before, I brought in a few more apps outside of Locly. The one I probably spent the most time and effort on was Paper by 53. This app allows you to draw just about anything and it’s very easy to use once you get the hang of it. I used this app to draw a clue for the treasure hunt and to draw the “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good” art and I used it to draw “Mischief managed” art. All of these took quite a bit of time to do. Now, I’m not the best at art and Ms Willemse and Mr Hughes could tell you that so when I found out that I had to do shading, I froze in fear and despair. It didn’t end up being too bad though, right? I think I deserve an A for effort in that piece because out of almost everything, I think that the shading was probably the most difficult part of this project. It took a lot of valuable time and had me fuming the whole way through. I guess that in the end my hard work shows but the thing is, it doesn’t. Because long ago, in a land far, far away, my dad jammed the printer. And so now, my project pays the price.
Another app I used as part of the treasure hunt is Bookry. This app allows me to make fun interactive clues to put in my treasure hunt. It allowed me to bring in photos and use them for the clues with some animation added on to the discovery of the clue. Once again, there was no coding that was required to make any of these animations.
In summary, this project had its ups and downs but it was all around a fun project to make. I loved how my poster board turned out and I loved how the clues worked. At the beginning, I was worried that the project wouldn’t work out but I was happy in the end when it all came together. 
Here’s a picture of my poster board: