DI… On The Internet?

Hi there, and welcome to my post on the DI Provincials. If you haven’t seen my previous post on the DI Regionals, I highly recommend you read that first so that you know more about the challenge, and DI in general, but in a quick summary I was in the improv team with my fellow teammates Noah, Malaika, Jude, Emily, and Rhiann. We had just finished the regional tournament, which turned out all right, but it gave us a lot of ideas on what we could improve on for the upcoming provincial tournament. Except, there was one small problem. Now, you may have heard of a certain virus called Covid-19. Well, that virus just so happened to close down our school, R.I.P Destination Imagination 2020.

Except, our teachers refused to let Destination Imagination D-I (Ha…) and they came up with a novel solution, we could still do DI, but through the mystical power of the internet! However, this still posed a few problems for us, who were still getting used to the program we were using to communicate online. We didn’t have that much time before the online tournament, so it was up to us to meet on our own time and come up with solutions. The first major problem we decided to tackle was acting. How were we supposed to act on camera? Well, this one was actually fairly straightforward, we would just say lines normally in front of our cameras when we got a cue to do so. Except, that brings us to another one of the problems we had from the last tournament, our cues. Now, our cues were mediocre, but there was still lots of room to improve. To help combat this problem, we decided to use a narrator again, which was me, again. We did this so that I could give obvious cues and progress the story of things were taking too long. Obviously the problem isn’t fixed by simply having a narrator, so we did some practice runs together to help make sure we were catching on to and giving cues. However, this brings me to our final and possibly biggest problem: the sound effects. Now, if your remember from my last post, we had amassed a boxful of sound creating objects for our previous tournament, so it shouldn’t be a big deal, right? Well, we left all of it at school, which is current closed, which leaves our sound keeper Noah without a way to actually fulfill his role. We ended up doing a sort of mini version of what we did to come up with sound effects at the beginning of DI, and eventually Noah had found enough things that he could work with. We did some practice with our cues and all the new sound effects, and we were actually looking pretty good! I thought we had overcome all the obstacles that had come our way, but I was wrong, because I had forgotten the biggest challenge yet, which was the presentation itself.

The online event was scheduled like an actual DI tournament, with a spreadsheet that had all the presenting times, and even an instant challenge. Eventually, it was our time to present, and it was time for all of that practice to pay off. I was actually pretty nervous at first, but all things considered, it went pretty smoothly, and everyone preformed well, just like we had practiced. The instant challenge also happened to be a performance challenge, and we did pretty well on that as well. In fact, after all that, I feel that I went from developing to accomplished in my Research and Understand competency, because we had to look at the challenge from a completely new perspective to solve our problems and come out on top. In conclusion, I think we greatly improved even due to the new challenges we faced, and that I managed to meet the competency for this project. That’s about it for this blog post, make sure to stay tuned for more!

Metaphorical Machinations

We just finished our latest Scimatics project, and once again, it’s reflection time! This project was called Metaphor Machines, and it was about Rude Goldberg machines and circuits. A Rude Goldberg machine is basically a machine that does something in an over-complicated way, and we had to put an electric circuit in ours. We also had to make our machine represent the scientific method, which is why it’s called a metaphor machine. This was a group project, so my group members were Thomas and Liam, and we focused on the machine itself first. We started off by making a path for a marble to travel through out of metre sticks. We added a lever mechanism, and we tried to add a pulley system, but it didn’t end up working out, so we had the lever end at a switch instead. Then we started working on the electrical circuit, which we wanted to connect to the switch at the end of the machine so that the marble would hit it and activate it. We had to reposition the switch, but we got the marble to hit the switch and turn on the lights at the end. After that, all we had to do was connect it to the scientific method. We had already planned out what we were going to do before we built the machine, so we labelled all the pre-determined parts with something that represented a step in the scientific method. Then we had to make a video showcasing our machine, and here is my group’s:

After the machine was completed, we had to update our project start mind map, but by some nefarious mechanism, mine was destroyed (My iPad broke and some of my files got deleted, including my MindNode ones.). I did learn the answers to some of my questions that were originally on my mind map, for example, I learned how circuits would tie into our machines, and how we would be using the scientific method in this project. There were also some core competencies to reflect on for this project, which you can see right here:For questioning and predicting, I feel like I met this competency, because my group managed to finish everything, and usually worked efficiently, although there were a few times where I felt we could be more focused. For reasoning and analyzing, I felt that I met this competency, because we finished our final blueprint with a grid scale and all the measurements we needed. For planning and conducting, I feel like I have met this competency because my group managed to incorporate our circuit into our metaphor machine, and we made a circuit diagram with all the required information… at least that’s what Thomas told me. And for the final competency, scientific communication, I feel like I have met this competency because our video showed how our machine worked, and also had a voiceover explaining how it related to the scientific method.

In conclusion, I learned a lot about circuits and Rude Goldberg machines, and refreshed my knowledge of the scientific method. It was also pretty fun creating the machine and the circuit, and I hope we will be able to do another project with this much hands on building in the future. That’s about it for this blog post, stay tuned for more!

DI 2: Improv Boogaloo

Destination Imagination has returned! It feels like such a long time since I did it last year, but the time finally came, so here is my reflection on the 2020 DI regionals! My experience this year was a lot different than last year, starting off with the challenge. Destination Imagination is split into different challenges, and last year I did the technical challenge, which usually involves making some kind of mechanism. This year, I ended up doing the improv challenge, where you have to act and come up with things as you go along, which is a lot different from what I did last year. I also had different group members from last year, my group members were Noah, Rhiann, Jude, Malaika, and Emily. I’m pretty much done talking about last year’s DI now, but if you want to read about it in depth you can read the post I did on it here. Back to the this year’s DI, this year’s improv challenge was pretty interesting, it was called To The Rescue and it was about superheroes. The skit we had to do had to have a villain who uses a superpower to cause a conundrum, and then the hero steps in with and saves the day with an underwhelming power. The villain’s power, the conundrum, and the hero’s underwhelming power are all randomly selected, which is the improv part. On top of all that, we also had to enhance our skit with sound effects. There were also few more minor details that are covered in DI’s official video on the challenge, which you can check out right here.

Our group started off by doing forms. Lots and lots of forms. They covered thing like which materials we could use to outlining the challenge requirements, but the really important ones were the ones that had to do with the elements of the challenge itself. Since the randomly selected villains power came from a pool of about ten or so powers, we had to research them so that we would know everything about whatever power was selected during the challenge. However, the conundrum and hero’s power are a different story, because while the villains power comes from a preselected pool, the conundrum and hero power can both be anything, which helps buy into the improv idea. To combat this, we came up with random powers and conundrums to use during our practice sessions, which I’ll get to in a bit. While they were a bit boring, all these forms helped us understand everything about the challenge, which gave us an advantage at the end, so I’m glad we did them. There was still a big part of the challenge we had to focus on before the tournament, and that was the sound effects. We were allowed to have a box with a bunch of objects in it as our sound effects, nothing electronic allowed. We were thinking of having different people make the sound effects during the performance, but eventually we decided to have one person do them for the whole skit, which was Noah. For the actual sound effects, right off the bat we started coming up with things that could make basic sounds, but in our early practice sessions we realized there were still lots of situations where Noah couldn’t really make a sound for. To minimize those situations, everyone had to come up with items that could make a sound corresponding to every villain superpower, and then bring them in for our sound keeper. The last big thing we did before the tournament was practice. We came up with random conundrums and heroes powers, and a random villain superpower from the pool. This way, we would never know what was coming and would have to go along with it, like we would have to in the actual challenge. After doing a lot of these random skits, we started to realize what we needed to improve on the most. There were a few minor things, like not talking over each other, and making sure you face the audience. These weren’t that hard to overcome, you just had to think about what was happening from your scene partner’s or the audience’s perspective. Then there were more major ones, like our lack of sound effects. While we had gathered all the sound making objects we needed, we didn’t really give Noah much time to put in sound effects, which could cost us a lot of points at the tournament. We started to practice giving really obvious cues so that Noah would have time to put in sound effects, and it took us a while to actually incorporate it into our skits, but we worked it out eventually. We also had a problem where we would drag out one thing because nobody knew what direction to take the skit, and then before we would know it our time limit was up. We decided we needed a narrator to give context to our scenes, and move the scene along if it started slowing down. That narrator ended up being me. It took some practice to get used to, but eventually I started to feel confident with my role and the ability of my team. We had started out pretty bad, but the practice had payed off and we had improved a great deal. We were going to need everything had learned though, because after all that time we spent practice the tournament was knocking on the door.

On the day of the tournament, we had our instant challenge before our actual challenge, which we did pretty good on it, giving us a needed boost of confidence. Then the time finally came, and we went in and did our performance that we had practiced on for so long. I think our challenge actually ended up being pretty good, because we got a bunch of sound effects in, we didn’t have any awkward pauses, and we managed it work with the challenge elements we were given. Not that it wasn’t without flaws, we ran out of time at the very end of our skit, although it didn’t ruin our skit because we were pretty much at the end anyways. Personally, I think I did my job as narrator, although I think I could’ve sped things up a bit in parts where it started to drag on. Despite the flaws, I still consider it a success, because now we have an even clearer idea of what we can improve on, and I also managed to demonstrate the Research and Understand competency. I feel that I demonstrated it when researching the challenge and practicing, for example when we were considering how our performance would look to the audience and judges, or when we were practicing to think from our fellow group members perspective so that we could play off of what they did better, or to give them opportunities to do actions or make sound effects.

Well that’s about it for this blog post, I’m sure we’ll improve a lot in the provincials, so stay tuned for that!

Let’s get Riel learning portfolio post

We just finished another project, and now it’s reflection time! This project was called “Let’s Get Riel!”, with the driving question of “How can we present past actions and decisions through images to help us make decisions of what is fair or unjust?”. In case you’re wondering, no, I didn’t spell real wrong, because Riel is the last name of Louis Riel, who was a big focus of the project. You probably don’t know who he is, and we didn’t either, so we read this comic book about him throughout the project, creatively titled “Louis Riel”.

We’ll talk about Mr. Riel more later, because our first milestone actually had nothing to do with Louis Riel. Our first milestone was a current event that had to have happened fairly recently. After some research, I decided to do a particular incident which was part of the recent Wet’suwet’en protests, which I found quite interesting. Current events are always fun to do, and I think this milestone is a good example of my Connect competency, because I got to read about other people’s thoughts on the issue while researching it, and eventually got to form and write about my own opinion.In the next milestone we got to find out what the end goal of our project would be. We were put into partners, I was with Holly, and we had to choose our own event to analyze and decide if it was ethical or not. We also had to create our own driving question, and some images that represented our event, which would then be posted on a class instagram page. Holly and I started out by choosing an event to analyze. We ended up choosing the Douglas Treaties, which we had to research, and then put all the information we found on a worksheet. We found out that the Douglas Treaties were a bunch of treaties signed with First Nations tribes on Vancouver Island, except they were pretty dubious, and nobody knows if they were legit or not. This made a pretty interesting topic, as the whole project was about ethical dimensions, and I think that this was another good example of my Connect competency, because me and Holly alike had to discuss our perspectives of what we had researched.

For the next milestone, we started to work on the prototypes for our Instagram images. I had come up with the idea for a kind of internet “phishing scam”, which is kind of what happened with the First Nations during that event, because they got scammed. I also realized that phishing sounds like fishing after Holly informed me, and the First Nations were promised fishing rights that they never received, which I thought was quite clever.After receiving feedback on our prototypes, Holly and I finished our final drafts for milestone 4, which we ended up sharing to the class. We had created a total of three images, as well as an Instagram caption to go along with them.I think this milestone is a great example of the Understand Ethical Dimensions competency, because we formed and shared our own opinions through the images we created. We supported them with evidence we gathered from our research, and in turn we showed our understanding of ethical dimensions.

Hey, remember Louis Riel, that guy I was talking about at the beginning of the post? Well, we had been reading the book throughout all the other milestones, and found out that he was a Métis leader who opposed the Canadian government and ended up being executed, but we got to form our own opinions on the ethical dimensions of the events in the book in the final milestone, which was a literary response. I really enjoyed this milestone, because I had developed some of my own opinions while reading the book, and now I got to write about them. I also think this is another excellent example of the Understand Ethical Dimensions competency, because I got to read about a historical event, form my own opinions and support them with research, and show my understanding of ethical dimensions.This project was a short one, but I actually really enjoyed most of it. I found the book quite interesting, and it was fun to write about my own opinions, as well as creating the images. I hope that we get the opportunity to do something like it in the future. That’s about it for this blog post, make sure to stay tuned for more!

Confederation Commercial Blog Post

We just finished up another humanities project, and as always, it’s reflection time. This project was about a big part of Canadian history, the Canadian confederation, which helped create Canada as we know it today, and it had an appropriate driving question: “How and why did Canada develop into a nation?” We started off by learning the history behind the confederation, and what ended up happening, but the cool part about this project is that we actually got to rewrite history a little bit, and have our own conferences on confederation. We were put into groups representing the different colonies at the time, and I ended up being in a group with Alex, Finn, Holly, and Ryan. The colony we represented was Canada West, which is now known as Ontario, and at the time of confederation was right here:

After learning about some of the history behind the confederation, we had to write a response to what we had learned explaining the factors leading to the confederation. I thought this milestone was worth mentioning because it is a great example of the Evidence competency, one of the main competencies for this project, which is about evaluating evidence to see if it can support a historical conclusion. This milestone was all about doing research to find the main factors to confederation, and is pretty much the perfect evidence for this competency. This milestone was also pretty fun to do, I found the documents we were given to read very interesting, and I enjoyed breaking them down and putting them into my response:

The next two milestones that I thought were particularly important is the preliminary proposals and our final commercial. The preliminary proposals were basically conditions our colony had if we joined the confederation, but the ones we made had to be historically plausible. The preliminary proposals weren’t as important as the final commercial, but they were still essential in getting to that final product, and they still tie into the Create competency a bit as well. It was actually pretty interesting coming up with conditions that would help us and others, which made it an enjoyable milestone as well:

The biggest milestone we did, and the one that in my opinion was the most important in my learning for this project, was our final commercial. After we had done our preliminary proposals, we all watched the other colonies demands, and then we had to adjust ours so that they would work better for us and the other colonies, and what we ended up deciding on went into our commercial. The commercial was basically a video explaining our conditions, but we also had to make some effects with a green screen. Before we actually made the video we had to make a screenplay, which we finished quite quickly. Then we got to actually making the video, where we would say our lines in front of the green screen, and then edit it together with green screen effects to make our commercial:

I think I learned a lot from this particular milestone, because not only did I get insight into how people make group affecting decisions like the ones we made during our final proposals, but I also think this milestone is a good example of how I used the Create competency for this project. The Create competency is about what literacy skills you use in things you create, and this milestone helped me improve my speaking and and acting skills, as well as learn an entirely knew skill, the green screen. Since we do a lot of videos in PLP, I have a feeling that I’ll be using the skill of green screen editing sometime in the future. Now, you may be wondering by this point, what happened after the commercials, and was confederation was achieved? Well, only two colonies signed, and we weren’t one of them. We decided not to sign in because we felt that not enough of our conditions were met for us to join. So even though confederation wasn’t achieved, I still learned a lot from the project as a whole. I learned how to properly use a green screen, I improved my speaking and acting skills, and I learned about coming up with and agreeing on ideas that benefit everyone, which is something that is done in the real world, and I think this project helped me realize just how hard it is to do. And for the driving question, “How and why did Canada develop into a nation?” Well, for the why, I think that it was because it was good all the different colonies, and even if they didn’t sign on right away, they did later when it benefited them more. You can see more about the specific ways it did this in my “Why Confederation?” response. Well, that’s about it for this blog post, Destination Imagination is coming up, so stay tuned!

Like Terms Blog Post

We just finished up another Scimatics project, and this is my reflection post on it. This math project was called Like Terms, the math in question being polynomials, which are a type of algebra. The project was a bit different from previous math projects we had, because we got to choose our own groups, and even make our own driving question! I ended up in a group with Thomas and Noah, and right off the bat we knew we wanted to do something with Minecraft. We thought of Minecraft right away because we knew that all blocks in Minecraft are one cubic metre in size, and we thought about using the measurements from the blocks to make a polynomial. After some thinking, we came up with our driving question “How can we show how games involve polynomials?” To answer our question, we decided to make a sort of game within Minecraft where you build a structure and then calculate the perimeter. It took a while to actually build the arena and the structures, but it was still fun to do. Then we got around to the math part, and we calculated the perimeter for the two structures we created and made that into a polynomial equation, answering our driving question in the process. Here is some pictures of the math we did:

And here are some more pictures of the structures that we built:

Before I wrap up this blog post, I want to talk about the core competencies for this project, and how me and my group did on them. The first competency was the understanding and solving competency, where we had to show that we understood polynomials and like terms. I understood the math pretty well, and me and my group showed our understanding of the concept in our final project presentation, so we ended up getting an extending mark on this competency. The next competency was communicating and representing, which was about the quality of our presentation. We got an accomplished mark, because although our presentation was good, we didn’t practice presenting it, so it was a bit rough, and we also didn’t include any exponents in our presentation. Another competency we did really well on was the connecting and reflecting competency. This competency was about connecting mathematics to other areas, and having personalized and original work. We got extending in this because we had a pretty original idea, only one other group did something related to video games. The final competency was the applying and innovating competency, which was basically about if we used our class time efficiently or not. We got accomplished for this competency, because for the most part we were on task, but we did get distracted a couple times. In conclusion, I learned a lot in this project, but it was still really fun to do, because we got to make our own groups and driving question, which I hope we can do again sometime. That’s about it for this blog post, stay tuned for more!

Final meme blog post

We just finished wrapping up our memes project, and this is my final reflection post. This post is going to be about the memes we created to show the history of colonialism and the role nationalism played. I wrote another post about the Tik Tok memes we made, and how they incorporated into our main project, so you should check that post out as well. Both parts of the project started out the same however, with us learning about memes and nationalism. We learned that nationalism is the identity and behaviour of a nation, and that it had lots of consequences in the past and the real world. This was important for our project, because the historical event we were focusing on was the colonization of Africa, which historically was affected a lot by nationalism. We learned a lot about some of the events that happened, and the role nationalism played. I think a general example of nationalism during the colonization of Africa was the racism that took place. Lots of the Europeans doing the colonization looked down on the Africans because they were different than them, which is pretty nationalistic. But that’s just one example of the many ways nationalism was involved in the colonization of Africa, and you might say that nationalism caused it in the first place. After we learned about nationalism and the colonization of Africa, the memes part of the project came into play. We started off by learning about memes themselves, as well as Richard Dawkins theory which I explain in my other post, and simply put we learned that memes are ideas that spread from person to person. Then we started to connect memes to what we had learned previously about nationalism and colonialism, and it was now that we started to answer the driving question: “How can we use current memes to comment on the significance and consequences of nationalism around the world?” We would answer the driving question by making some memes ourselves, except this time around they would be strictly about the colonization of Africa and nationalism. We quickly got to work in making our memes, and we started out by making some ideas. Here are some of my ideas for memes:

After adjusting some of my ideas, I actually got around to creating my memes, and here they are:

I’m not going to explain them, because it’s not a good meme if you have to have someone tell you what it means, but I think these memes answer the driving question, and show how memes are more than just funny internet jokes. Before this project, that’s what I thought memes where, and I barely knew anything about nationalism. Now I know the significance of memes and nationalism in history as well as today, and how they both affect our worldview. That’s about it for this post, so thanks for reading!

Tik Tok blog post

Recently, we started a new project that was all about memes and nationalism, with the driving question of “How can we use current memes to comment on the significance and consequences of nationalism around the world?” But before we started to try to answer the driving question, we had to learn what memes and nationalism really are, and we started off learning about nationalism. It gets kind of complicated, but the basic definition of nationalism is the identity or behaviour of a nation. Next we learned about memes, and you may know memes as this:

Or this: And these are memes, but they don’t have to be funny internet pictures. Memes at their simplest are just ideas spread from mind to mind. We also learned about some of Richard Dawkins’s ideas about memes. Richard Dawkins came up with the idea that the selfish gene and laws of Darwinian evolution apply to information and culture. He thought that ideas could spread, reproduce, evolve, mutate, and die. If you think about it, this is what is happening with the internet memes you see online, they spread as more people see them, people make more of them, they mutate into different memes, and once the meme becomes irrelevant and nobody uses it or finds it funny anymore it dies. To show this, we had to make some memes of our own, and we used an app called Tik Tok to do it. If you haven’t heard of Tik Tok before, it’s basically a social media platform for sharing short videos, and it’s popularity has skyrocketed in the past couple years. Lots of the videos are dances, trends, and as with any social media platform, memes. This project was the first time I used Tik Tok, so if you want to find out more about it I found this informative video:

The memes we were making were supposed to replicate memes or dance trends on Tik Tok, and we could make them in groups, so I ended up working with Noah and Thomas. We had to make three memes, and the first one we decided to do was the Canada check meme. This meme is about Canadian stereotypes, and we tried to put as many stereotypes in as we could.

The next meme we did was the Minecraft vs Fortnite meme, which is pretty much what the name suggests.

The final meme we did was a different version of a meme where the person has a parrot in Minecraft and then shows their real life parrot.

It was pretty fun to make these Tik Toks, and I might try making some more in the future. That’s about it for this blog post, thanks for reading!

Mpol

Hi, welcome to my Mpol, where I’m going to be reflecting on my learning so far, and answering the driving question, What is your learning goal that you want to reach by the end of this school year, and how will you meet it? I’m going to be answering at the end of the mPOL, after I’ve gone through examples in all of my classes, starting off with humanities, because I think it has some great examples of what I did well and what I can improve on. One assignment I think I did pretty well on was the Revolution videos, because it showed how I worked hard to support the team, and how did my part of the project, which was to write and help film and act in our videos. But even though the videos turned out pretty well there were also some things I would have liked to change. Even though I did everything I was expected to, I didn’t really go beyond, mostly due to my use of time. Like on lots of my other assignments I kind of left it to the last minute, and then I didn’t really have time to do anything extra for my team. This goes for lots of my other assignments as well, where I would always get distracted and end up leaving it for the last minute, and lots of my work suffered for it because I would do everything within a couple hours or less.

Moving on to Maker, I think something that I did pretty well in was the student blogging challenge. I heard that lots of other students didn’t really put much into their posts on it, and didn’t really care. I treated it like a big project, and I always tried my best on my posts, but like in humanities, I got distracted at times and sometimes left posts to the last minute, and several were late, because although I wanted to do a good job, I didn’t give myself enough time to do what I wanted within the due date, and this was the case with a lot of other assignments as well.

In Scimatics my example is my chemistry stories video, which I think I did a good job on, but not a great job, because I also left this to the last second, so I didn’t have any time to really go beyond the requirements. I did it so late because I was using class time to catch up on other assignments that I had also left until the last second. I think I’ve gotten better at using my class time more productively, but I still have some improvement to do.

And finally for PGP, I’m actually using this mPOL as my example, because look at it, it’s not that bad, but it’s nothing special either. But I also put this assignment off to the last second, and pretty much everything you see written here was done in 30 minutes. That’s why I don’t have links in my post, I forgot about them, oops, but I really tried in those 30 minutes I had, and the end result was surprisingly good for the tiny amount of time it was done in, but it’s still not that good.

Winter Exhibition learning portfolio postl

Before winter break we had our PLP Winter Exhibition, and this is my reflection on it. The Winter Exhibition is where we show off what we’ve learned to our parents and visitors alike. Every year the exhibition has a different theme, and this year the exhibition’s theme was Star Wars. Now, doing stuff related to Star Wars may sound fun, but there was a lot of work we did for the exhibition, and we started out by learning about the story of Star Wars itself. We started out learning about the story spine, which is the order of events of any story. We also learned about the hero’s journey, which shows the journey the protagonist takes in the story, and this isn’t only in Star Wars, it’s in Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and pretty much every story you could think of. By this point you may be wondering, what does all this stuff about story spines and heroes journeys have to do with the exhibition? Well, we were actually going to be writing our very own Star Wars short story, but we weren’t going to do it alone. Last exhibition we were put into exhibition groups, but this year our exhibition group members would each be writing a section of the story, and my group members where Jude, Alex, Malaika, Anders, Gabe, and Emily. Each group got a different Star Wars location to theme their story and actual exhibition area after, and my group got the Death Star as our Star Wars location, and the library as the place where we would actually present. We began brainstorming ideas for our story and exhibit right away, and we also started reading short stories to help us understand the different elements each of us would need to include in our part of the story, like setting, mood, point of view, and more. We practiced identifying all of these elements within the short stories we read, and wrote them down on a chart, which was pretty helpful for me personally, because it gave me examples of story elements to refer to whenever I got confused or stuck with my own story, which we had started working on around the same time. The story my group had decided on was about an Imperial officer working on the Death Star, and I was doing the exposition. Our group exchanged feedback on each other’s sections of the story, and the whole group and I had a lot to revise. Not long after the first session of feedback we had already finished our second drafts, but this time we got feedback from other groups instead. Again, a lot to fix, and after revisions, we got one last bit of feedback from our teacher. After making final revisions, I finished the exposition to our story, which you can read below.

Even though our story was done, my group was still far from finished, because we had the actual exhibition coming up. We still had to plan what the library would look like for the exhibition, and we had to work on what we were presenting for the exhibition. Yes, we were showing off our stories at the exhibition, but we also had to make an artifact which expressed our section of the story. I decided I wanted to make the letter the protagonist receives when he is invited onboard the Death Star, complete with the imperial seal. To help us make our artifacts, we used the LAUNCH process, which we recorded in a journal in six phases. This video explains the artifact I created, as well as phases of the LAUNCH journal which helped me create my artifact:

Here is the mini-video I mentioned, it’s supposed to show how we used our innovative designer competency for this project.

https://www.blog44.ca/anthonys/files/2020/01/720p.mov

After we had finished the LAUNCH journal, our artifact, and our short story, the exhibition was already upon us! My group had already planned the room design, and after we set it all up it really did look like the Death Star. I would be at the front desk of the library dressed as a stormtrooper and greeting the guests, while also showing my artifact and telling them where to check out my fellow group members exhibits, which was fitting because I wrote the introduction in our story. I had a great time, and here is some of the photos I got at the exhibition. Overall, I had a great time at the exhibition and would say it has been my favourite one yet, and I was also really pleased with how my artifact and my story turned out, and to top it all off we got to see the Rise of Skywalker in the theatre the day after the exhibition! Well, that’s about it for this blog post, remember to stay tuned for more!