Like Terms Blog Post

We just finished up another Scimatics project, and this is my reflection post on it. This math project was called Like Terms, the math in question being polynomials, which are a type of algebra. The project was a bit different from previous math projects we had, because we got to choose our own groups, and even make our own driving question! I ended up in a group with Thomas and Noah, and right off the bat we knew we wanted to do something with Minecraft. We thought of Minecraft right away because we knew that all blocks in Minecraft are one cubic metre in size, and we thought about using the measurements from the blocks to make a polynomial. After some thinking, we came up with our driving question “How can we show how games involve polynomials?” To answer our question, we decided to make a sort of game within Minecraft where you build a structure and then calculate the perimeter. It took a while to actually build the arena and the structures, but it was still fun to do. Then we got around to the math part, and we calculated the perimeter for the two structures we created and made that into a polynomial equation, answering our driving question in the process. Here is some pictures of the math we did:

And here are some more pictures of the structures that we built:

Before I wrap up this blog post, I want to talk about the core competencies for this project, and how me and my group did on them. The first competency was the understanding and solving competency, where we had to show that we understood polynomials and like terms. I understood the math pretty well, and me and my group showed our understanding of the concept in our final project presentation, so we ended up getting an extending mark on this competency. The next competency was communicating and representing, which was about the quality of our presentation. We got an accomplished mark, because although our presentation was good, we didn’t practice presenting it, so it was a bit rough, and we also didn’t include any exponents in our presentation. Another competency we did really well on was the connecting and reflecting competency. This competency was about connecting mathematics to other areas, and having personalized and original work. We got extending in this because we had a pretty original idea, only one other group did something related to video games. The final competency was the applying and innovating competency, which was basically about if we used our class time efficiently or not. We got accomplished for this competency, because for the most part we were on task, but we did get distracted a couple times. In conclusion, I learned a lot in this project, but it was still really fun to do, because we got to make our own groups and driving question, which I hope we can do again sometime. That’s about it for this blog post, stay tuned for more!

Final meme blog post

We just finished wrapping up our memes project, and this is my final reflection post. This post is going to be about the memes we created to show the history of colonialism and the role nationalism played. I wrote another post about the Tik Tok memes we made, and how they incorporated into our main project, so you should check that post out as well. Both parts of the project started out the same however, with us learning about memes and nationalism. We learned that nationalism is the identity and behaviour of a nation, and that it had lots of consequences in the past and the real world. This was important for our project, because the historical event we were focusing on was the colonization of Africa, which historically was affected a lot by nationalism. We learned a lot about some of the events that happened, and the role nationalism played. I think a general example of nationalism during the colonization of Africa was the racism that took place. Lots of the Europeans doing the colonization looked down on the Africans because they were different than them, which is pretty nationalistic. But that’s just one example of the many ways nationalism was involved in the colonization of Africa, and you might say that nationalism caused it in the first place. After we learned about nationalism and the colonization of Africa, the memes part of the project came into play. We started off by learning about memes themselves, as well as Richard Dawkins theory which I explain in my other post, and simply put we learned that memes are ideas that spread from person to person. Then we started to connect memes to what we had learned previously about nationalism and colonialism, and it was now that we started to answer the driving question: “How can we use current memes to comment on the significance and consequences of nationalism around the world?” We would answer the driving question by making some memes ourselves, except this time around they would be strictly about the colonization of Africa and nationalism. We quickly got to work in making our memes, and we started out by making some ideas. Here are some of my ideas for memes:

After adjusting some of my ideas, I actually got around to creating my memes, and here they are:

I’m not going to explain them, because it’s not a good meme if you have to have someone tell you what it means, but I think these memes answer the driving question, and show how memes are more than just funny internet jokes. Before this project, that’s what I thought memes where, and I barely knew anything about nationalism. Now I know the significance of memes and nationalism in history as well as today, and how they both affect our worldview. That’s about it for this post, so thanks for reading!

Tik Tok blog post

Recently, we started a new project that was all about memes and nationalism, with the driving question of “How can we use current memes to comment on the significance and consequences of nationalism around the world?” But before we started to try to answer the driving question, we had to learn what memes and nationalism really are, and we started off learning about nationalism. It gets kind of complicated, but the basic definition of nationalism is the identity or behaviour of a nation. Next we learned about memes, and you may know memes as this:

Or this: And these are memes, but they don’t have to be funny internet pictures. Memes at their simplest are just ideas spread from mind to mind. We also learned about some of Richard Dawkins’s ideas about memes. Richard Dawkins came up with the idea that the selfish gene and laws of Darwinian evolution apply to information and culture. He thought that ideas could spread, reproduce, evolve, mutate, and die. If you think about it, this is what is happening with the internet memes you see online, they spread as more people see them, people make more of them, they mutate into different memes, and once the meme becomes irrelevant and nobody uses it or finds it funny anymore it dies. To show this, we had to make some memes of our own, and we used an app called Tik Tok to do it. If you haven’t heard of Tik Tok before, it’s basically a social media platform for sharing short videos, and it’s popularity has skyrocketed in the past couple years. Lots of the videos are dances, trends, and as with any social media platform, memes. This project was the first time I used Tik Tok, so if you want to find out more about it I found this informative video:

The memes we were making were supposed to replicate memes or dance trends on Tik Tok, and we could make them in groups, so I ended up working with Noah and Thomas. We had to make three memes, and the first one we decided to do was the Canada check meme. This meme is about Canadian stereotypes, and we tried to put as many stereotypes in as we could.

The next meme we did was the Minecraft vs Fortnite meme, which is pretty much what the name suggests.

The final meme we did was a different version of a meme where the person has a parrot in Minecraft and then shows their real life parrot.

It was pretty fun to make these Tik Toks, and I might try making some more in the future. That’s about it for this blog post, thanks for reading!

Mpol

Hi, welcome to my Mpol, where I’m going to be reflecting on my learning so far, and answering the driving question, What is your learning goal that you want to reach by the end of this school year, and how will you meet it? I’m going to be answering at the end of the mPOL, after I’ve gone through examples in all of my classes, starting off with humanities, because I think it has some great examples of what I did well and what I can improve on. One assignment I think I did pretty well on was the Revolution videos, because it showed how I worked hard to support the team, and how did my part of the project, which was to write and help film and act in our videos. But even though the videos turned out pretty well there were also some things I would have liked to change. Even though I did everything I was expected to, I didn’t really go beyond, mostly due to my use of time. Like on lots of my other assignments I kind of left it to the last minute, and then I didn’t really have time to do anything extra for my team. This goes for lots of my other assignments as well, where I would always get distracted and end up leaving it for the last minute, and lots of my work suffered for it because I would do everything within a couple hours or less.

Moving on to Maker, I think something that I did pretty well in was the student blogging challenge. I heard that lots of other students didn’t really put much into their posts on it, and didn’t really care. I treated it like a big project, and I always tried my best on my posts, but like in humanities, I got distracted at times and sometimes left posts to the last minute, and several were late, because although I wanted to do a good job, I didn’t give myself enough time to do what I wanted within the due date, and this was the case with a lot of other assignments as well.

In Scimatics my example is my chemistry stories video, which I think I did a good job on, but not a great job, because I also left this to the last second, so I didn’t have any time to really go beyond the requirements. I did it so late because I was using class time to catch up on other assignments that I had also left until the last second. I think I’ve gotten better at using my class time more productively, but I still have some improvement to do.

And finally for PGP, I’m actually using this mPOL as my example, because look at it, it’s not that bad, but it’s nothing special either. But I also put this assignment off to the last second, and pretty much everything you see written here was done in 30 minutes. That’s why I don’t have links in my post, I forgot about them, oops, but I really tried in those 30 minutes I had, and the end result was surprisingly good for the tiny amount of time it was done in, but it’s still not that good.

Winter Exhibition learning portfolio postl

Before winter break we had our PLP Winter Exhibition, and this is my reflection on it. The Winter Exhibition is where we show off what we’ve learned to our parents and visitors alike. Every year the exhibition has a different theme, and this year the exhibition’s theme was Star Wars. Now, doing stuff related to Star Wars may sound fun, but there was a lot of work we did for the exhibition, and we started out by learning about the story of Star Wars itself. We started out learning about the story spine, which is the order of events of any story. We also learned about the hero’s journey, which shows the journey the protagonist takes in the story, and this isn’t only in Star Wars, it’s in Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and pretty much every story you could think of. By this point you may be wondering, what does all this stuff about story spines and heroes journeys have to do with the exhibition? Well, we were actually going to be writing our very own Star Wars short story, but we weren’t going to do it alone. Last exhibition we were put into exhibition groups, but this year our exhibition group members would each be writing a section of the story, and my group members where Jude, Alex, Malaika, Anders, Gabe, and Emily. Each group got a different Star Wars location to theme their story and actual exhibition area after, and my group got the Death Star as our Star Wars location, and the library as the place where we would actually present. We began brainstorming ideas for our story and exhibit right away, and we also started reading short stories to help us understand the different elements each of us would need to include in our part of the story, like setting, mood, point of view, and more. We practiced identifying all of these elements within the short stories we read, and wrote them down on a chart, which was pretty helpful for me personally, because it gave me examples of story elements to refer to whenever I got confused or stuck with my own story, which we had started working on around the same time. The story my group had decided on was about an Imperial officer working on the Death Star, and I was doing the exposition. Our group exchanged feedback on each other’s sections of the story, and the whole group and I had a lot to revise. Not long after the first session of feedback we had already finished our second drafts, but this time we got feedback from other groups instead. Again, a lot to fix, and after revisions, we got one last bit of feedback from our teacher. After making final revisions, I finished the exposition to our story, which you can read below.

Even though our story was done, my group was still far from finished, because we had the actual exhibition coming up. We still had to plan what the library would look like for the exhibition, and we had to work on what we were presenting for the exhibition. Yes, we were showing off our stories at the exhibition, but we also had to make an artifact which expressed our section of the story. I decided I wanted to make the letter the protagonist receives when he is invited onboard the Death Star, complete with the imperial seal. To help us make our artifacts, we used the LAUNCH process, which we recorded in a journal in six phases. This video explains the artifact I created, as well as phases of the LAUNCH journal which helped me create my artifact:

Here is the mini-video I mentioned, it’s supposed to show how we used our innovative designer competency for this project.

https://www.blog44.ca/anthonys/files/2020/01/720p.mov

After we had finished the LAUNCH journal, our artifact, and our short story, the exhibition was already upon us! My group had already planned the room design, and after we set it all up it really did look like the Death Star. I would be at the front desk of the library dressed as a stormtrooper and greeting the guests, while also showing my artifact and telling them where to check out my fellow group members exhibits, which was fitting because I wrote the introduction in our story. I had a great time, and here is some of the photos I got at the exhibition. Overall, I had a great time at the exhibition and would say it has been my favourite one yet, and I was also really pleased with how my artifact and my story turned out, and to top it all off we got to see the Rise of Skywalker in the theatre the day after the exhibition! Well, that’s about it for this blog post, remember to stay tuned for more!

The Mandalorian Chapter 6 review

Today I’m going to be doing something a little different than my usual posts, and I’m going to be reviewing the Star Wars TV show The Mandalorian, more specifically the episode “Chapter 6: The Prisoner”. There are going to be no spoilers for the episode in this post, so feel free to read it even if you plan to watch the episode sometime, or maybe this post will even inspire you to check it out! Now, let’s get right into the review. First off, this is a stand alone episode, and it has nothing to do with the main story the show has set up before, and the only returning characters are Mando himself and baby Yoda.

This may be considered an annoyance to some, as maybe they don’t like “filler” episodes, but I personally think it is well done enough to give a pass. It has a solid story, with an exposition, a rising action, a climax, a falling action, and a resolution. Since it has a full, resolution, we probably won’t expect anything from this episode to have anything to do with later episodes. The episode, as with every other episode in the show, is visually pleasing, and you can see that a lot of time and effort was put into the costumes and set, as well as the special effects which also look great. The episode kind of has a cliched plot, but deviates enough that it feels like a unique experience. A few of the new characters are cliched as well, but to a more noticeable extent, which is one of the things I don’t like about this episode. I think the episode builds up tension very well, which is backed up by the fact that there is a ticking clock, but the episode builds up tension so well in the exposition and rising action that I don’t think they even needed it. The action scenes are beautifully done, and are one of the highlights of the episode, but that’s kind of expected from a show like this. My absolute favourite part of this episode, however, is the way it toys around with the theme. It starts out as, and for most of the episode is a TV action show. A bit later in the episode, it starts to toy around with a horror theme, which is really well done, and ends with some bleak humour which breaks up the tension.

So overall, although parts of the episode are a bit too cliched, and the episode isn’t really related to the main story of the show, some stunning visual effects and action as well as the excellently done changes in theme make me give this episode a 8/10, and I would definitely recommend watching it and the rest of the show if you have Disney plus or plan on getting it.

Live Event Post

Recently we had another small project, and this was another one that had to do with making videos, which has been a trend lately. This project was called live event, where we basically had to document an event, which could be anything from a soccer game to a basketball practice. Before we actually started in the live event, however, we downloaded the book Everyone Can Create video, and read through some of the strategies we could use to film the event.

After we had thought of some things we might do for our live event, we created an action plan, which had information like where we were going, what shots we wanted to take, and interview questions. For my live event I decided to record one of my hockey games, but there were a few issues with getting the footage I wanted. The main issue was that I would be playing the hockey game, so I couldn’t film any of it. I fixed this issue by getting my mom to film for me, because she was going to be at the hockey game anyways. However, this raised a problem of its own, because she had no idea how to film anything on an iPad. To fix this new issue, I found a video that would show her how to record in any way she wanted, so that I could play the game and still get the footage I needed at the same time. I think this is a good example of how I used the Empowered Learner competency, because I leveraged technology to help me make and demonstrate my competency in my video, which was our learning goal. The second more minor problem I had was that for my interview, Ryan, the person I was interviewing, had to go right after the game, so he might have not been able to do the interview. This shows how I used the Navigate Ideas competency, because I took a risk with the interview, and also added to others ideas in ways that enhanced them, because Ryan had to do an interview himself, and he took inspiration from some of my questions, and asked me questions with some of my ideas in them. After actually filming the game and interview, I had to edit together my video, which actually didn’t raise that many problems, but I used the Creative Communicator competency because I communicated clearly and expressed myself creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate for my goal with my final video. Speaking of my final video, here it is now:

So, in conclusion, I think my live event video is a success, because it has all the different video strategies we were supposed to include, and it also shows how I used the core competencies. That’s about it for this post, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more posts coming soon!

Chemistry Stories reflection post

We just finished our most recent project for Scimatics, Chemistry Stories, and now it’s time to reflect! This project was about atoms, ions, and a bunch of other complicated stuff. We started out small, with introductions to what they were and worksheets that got progressively harder as we learned more. We did an experiment which involved a cool explosion, and for the end of the project we had to make an animated video explaining the concepts we had learned, like ionic bonds, covalent compounds, and Bohr models to name a few. After we finished the storyboard we made the video itself in an app called Explain Everything, but I used IMovie to record the audio because Explain Everything is a little buggy, especially with audio. But I still managed to get past that issue, and here is my video:

After this was done, we still had a few things left. We did a quiz on what we had learned, and then a test shortly after. The very last thing we did was fill out the answers to the questions we had wrote down at the beginning of the project in our project start mind map, so here is my project end mind map:

Now that we’ve discussed what happened during the project, I can reflect on the core competencies and the big idea. The first thing I will reflect on is the big idea. The big idea was “the electron arrangement of atoms impacts their chemical nature”. After everything I’ve learned, I now understand this, and now that the electron arrangement of atoms does impact their chemical nature, because the number of electrons is a huge factor in bonding, and the whole point of bonding is to try to achieve a full valence shell, which is literally just the most stable electron arrangement, so the arrangement of the electrons pretty much causes bonding itself. Now that we’ve covered the big idea, onto the competencies.

The first competency is Communicating: formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon. I showed this competency when I created the Bohr models in my video to describe atoms and ionic and covalent bonds.

The next competency is Processing and analyzing: construct, analyze and interpret models and/or diagrams. I showed this competency a lot in the video I made, because I constructed a lot of Bohr models, and I had to analyze and interpret them on some of our worksheets and our final test.

The final competency is Questioning and predicting: demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem or personal interest. I think I did alright in this competency, which is shown through my use of class time, because although I wasn’t the most efficient at the beginning of this project, by the end I had used my class time efficiently enough to complete my video, and do a good job on it as well.

In conclusion, I learned a lot from this project, because although I had limited knowledge of the subject before, by the end of the project I knew all about atoms and ions, covalent and ionic bonds, polyatomic ions, protons, neutrons, and electrons, and more, as well as showing my proficiency in the core competencies and understanding of the big idea.

Student Blogging Challenge Week 8

This is the final post for the Student Blogging challenge, and I know it’s a bit late, but we’re going to finish the challenge anyways. There were only two tasks for this post. For the first task I decided to do the first option and reflect on the challenge as a whole, which is what I’m going to be doing for most of this post. I participated in all 8 weeks of the challenge, and wrote all eight posts, so I have a lot to think about in reflection. First off, I received five comments, which was pretty surprising because it was more than I got when I did the challenge last year. This year all of them were on different posts, while last year I had two on a post at most. I also commented on several other blogs, trying to give them constructive feedback. Here is an example of what my comments looked like:

Now, comments are a big part of the challenge, but the main focus of the Blogging Challenge is the posts. Like I said before, there were eight posts including this one, but a one really stood out for me when I was writing them. This one might make the least sense as to why it’s my favourite Blogging Challenge post, as I can just do it anytime, but the free choice week was actually my favourite post for the whole challenge. The reason for this is because while most of the posts were fun to write, we were restricted to a few different tasks. I think the Blogging Challenge would be even better if we could do whatever, as long as it is related to the theme of the week (examples: holidays or events, emojis, music). For the next and final task, I’m going to be talking about my plans for my blog. This isn’t going to be my final blog post or anything like that, I still plan to continue showing my learning journey through my blog, although I won’t have any posts on winter break, with the exception of a scimatics post and a post on the winter exhibition, but when school starts again I should have new posts out every couple weeks. That’s about it for my final post for the Student Blogging Challenge, thanks for reading even though this post was a bit late, and make sure to keep an eye out for that scimatics post and the post on the winter exhibition!