‘Game of Exponent Laws Summative Blog Post’

Hello everybody! Welcome back to my school blog post. It’s been a while since I last posted on here. I now in PLP 9 and classes are poking a little different this year. I just finished a super fun Scimatics project that I can wait to share with you guys.

Game of Exponent Laws

As you might of already noticed, this project is about exponents and their laws. Math isn’t my strong point, but I found this project super fun and fairly easy to understand.

We started as per usual in this project by creating a start mind map. This is just a map of things we expect and wonder about the project. We were working in partners for this project and I got paired up with my classmate Sepaus. We brainstormed some simple games with some dice with another group for our first milestone before we split back into our pairs to come up with some actual ideas. We learned lots about exponents and their laws using a textbook on our iPads. Not my favourite part, but you can’t make a game about exponents without knowing about exponents. We had two great Ideas for our game, but we decided on a cup pong type game for some skill based gameplay and to make it a little more exiting. Here are our game rules:

We made a couple of minor revisions to the games as we went. Just little tweaks here and there to make the game a little more enjoyable. Through quite a bit of tests and a lot of lesson notes our game was ready to play on game day. Personally I thought we could’ve created some better ways to implement exponent laws into the game but it is what its is. Other than that, I think that If I had to re-make the game I would keep it the same. On game day it was no surprise that it was a massive hit among my classmates. I think because of the fun nature of the game and how different it was from everyone’s standard “board games” it stood out much more, and everyone’s heard about “cup” pong.

Core Competency’s

Reasoning and Analyzing

This competency is all about our game being well made and each element is thoughtfully designed. I thought that we did this okay. Our game  was probably created to early and as new elements needed to be added on we kind of just squeezed it in there. What I’m trying to say is that the game didn’t adapt to what we were learning in class.

Communicating and Representing

This competency means that there is a clear set of rules and specific info on what to do each turn. It also means that all of the exponent laws that we learned in class were required to be inside of the game. I think that we made the expectations for this project, but I think we could’ve improved a bit more on implementing the laws in the game. However I thought our rules for each turn were pretty simple but effective, if played correctly.

Applying and Innovating

This competency means that all class time is used efficiently and effectively to finish the game. I thought that I used my class time pretty efficiently in this class whether it was taking notes, creating game rules or anything else I got a little carried away on the last day but other than that I thought that I did well on this project.

All in all I really enjoyed this project creating the cup pong game was unlike a lot of the other games in the class and I thought because of that, it made our game unique and special. Can’t wait to se what’s next in Scimatics!

Published inScimatics

Be First to Comment