Renaissance To Now

This project was about how the move from elementary school to high school was like the Renaissance. First we learned a bit about the Renaissance. We learned about how the power which the church had was slowly given to rulers and also about the string of discoveries that led to new technology and people seizing to believe that life was just the path you take to either go to heaven or hell. After we learned about the Renaissance we started work on the assignment which was what the project would revolve around until its end, the song. For the song we had to replace the lyrics of REMs It’s the End of the World As We Know It with text about how high school was compared to how we expected it, expectation VS reality. If you’ve ever heard it you’d know that the lyrics of It’s the End of the World As We Know It you’d know that the singing is as so fast it’s like rap, so I really struggled with it.

The main part of this project was the song. I was alright at making the lyrics to the song but wasn’t that good at singing it with its fast beat. So I got past the fast beat by singing it at 75% speed. That was good until i found out it has to be fast. So I tried to record it while singing as fast as the song but I can’t sing that fast and my voice just sounds like gibberish along with the fact that my voice was flat. I had made the lyrics before I recorded so my lyrics weren’t on beat. To get around that I changed the lyrics so that they would fit the song. It was very good and I could sing it at 75% speed. The problem with it then when it needed to be faster was that I couldn’t sing the lyrics as fast as demanded. So then after all the struggle I decided that I’d just re-record my singing until it was good. In the end I think that I re-recorded about 30 times before I just said that I will never have my recording be good enough. I also made some changes to the lyrics and added some other parts to my lyrics throughout the recording to make it easier to sing. That was the main factor that made me less able to sing the song towards the end.

Although I didn’t get the song in right away I did well on all the other parts, and as a whole the project was fun. I think that next time instead of making the song be this really fast, and hard to sing and almost rap song we should pick the song ourselves. I struggled with singing the song very much and I think that making the song something different and slower like maybe an Abba song which is easier to sing and with which you can actually sing instead of saying words as fast as possible would make the project way more enjoyable and fun. Thanks for reading, goodbye.

The Ultimate Design Challenge

For this project we had to choose a building or object and then design it in a CAD program. We had to then figure out the surface area to volume ratio of that object. It would make sense to do this to something where the volume to surface area ratio mattered like a car or a pool and so I decided to make it a bridge. I chose to make it a bridge because with bridges you want to use the least materials for the most road.

At the start of the project I didn’t know how to use CAD programs and I also had largely forgotten how to calculate cylinder area and surface area so I had to re-learn the formulas and also learn how to use the CAD program. At around the middle of the project I had learned more or less everything and all I had to do was complete the bridges I had made. Then around the end I had finished more or less all of the bridge. The thing was that we had to make calculations for all of the materials in my bridges and I had not been making the calculations as I was making my shapes which meant I had a big load of work ahead of me. But I did the work although it was boring and frustrating because of how hard it is to get the dimensions of the shapes. But through that I still did it and got the calculations done. Before I had done the calculations I had brainstormed what I wanted to do for the project, and here is what I brainstormed.

What I did was, on the top brainstorm ideas of what I wanted to do and on the bottom, white down all of the formulas that I was going to need later when I had made my bridge.

Now onto the final part, the bridge. For this project I made two bridges. The first was a pretty standard bridge and so was the second. Because my bridges were do standard I decided to take the first bridge and make it be longer and more extravagant. It turned out well and looked much cooler.

Here is the first bridge

Here is the second bridge

Tell me in the comments which one you found better!

It’s time for the Math and my approach towards it, along with how I chose the shapes. For most of the shapes I chose rectangular prisms which you can most likely see all throughout the bridges. Because I used so many rectangular prisms I decided to get some variation throughout the shape and connect the poles on either side with cylinders. I also made the black bars chick are supposed to signify ropes be cylinders. I wanted to also put triangles into the build but I didn’t because there aren’t any place for triangles on the bridges that I made. All in all I think I chose quantity over quality on the bridges, especially the first one and more or less made them totally out of prisms.

The D. I. Bridge

Destination Imagination

In this project we made a bridge that had to span 30 cm but could go all the way to spanning two meters. In the project we worked in groups and my group was made up of Keenan, Kate, Randy and myself. Because of the bridge element in the challenge we decided to name our group Low Budget Bridges Co. We all had our separate roles although most of us did at least two things. For example, I made the load test and also helped Keenan with building the bridge.

At the start of the project we got ourselves organized and soon started working. It took a bit to get organized but once we had the organization right we worked well. At first it was more Keenan making the bridge and Kate making the story but soon enough me and Randy joined in. I made the load test and Randy helped Keenan with the bridge. Then, further in I helped Keenan with the bridge and Randy worked with Kate on the backdrop which was made with the package of an old TV that Kate had. We then finished everything we did in the first test play which went as bad as ever, it was a fail. So we improved. It took a long time to build the bridge so I became an angry German tourist who yelled at the bridge workers because they were ruining my vacation. Because I was more of the flex guy and I also watched the others do their parts as I worked, glancing over to see what they were doing. I knew how everything worked, how we made and did it, and how it got done. That was good because I would know how to respond to the judges questions. The second test or rehearsal was better but there was still one problem, the bridge.

For the bridge we decided to make the supports two wide instead of the one support on each side which we had before. We worked on it and then shortly after we made the extra supports it was already time for the DI tournament. On the day of the tournament I wasn’t feeling well. I was tired and feverish. But I still helped and did my part just like the practices before. It all went well except for one thing, the bridge. I think it was partly because of the pressure me and Kate had bestowed upon Keenan and Randy with our drumming which got much too fast way too quick. Although I had tried to take a slower approach to the drumming seeing as the bridge wasn’t doing well I didn’t communicate it with Kate and she just drummed on like the bridge would be built in no time. The bridge mostly didn’t succeed though because the main section of the bridge got slanted to the side because the supports weren’t taped together. It was like putting Lego bricks on top of each other instead of putting them inside of each other.

We discussed what went wrong after the challenge and will be doing a number of things differently and let me take you through them. First off, we will be taking extra tape to the championship. This will make it easier to get the whole bridge to be one piece and therefore not slant to one side. We will also make the pieces easier  to put together and make the bridge look more clean. We will also build and re build the bridge until the construction is flawless, quick, and effective. We will also try to pressure Keenan and Randy less so that they have better working conditions at the championship.

With all of these precautions and extra steps will win both prizes in the next DI championship!

The Middle Ages

In this project we learned about the Middle Ages but really we learned about the later half of the Middle Ages and not the time after the collapse and fall of Rome. It was a nice project and I enjoyed it. I’m happy for it to continue along with the merging into another project. Throughout it I learned a lot about using keynote and the crusades.                       A picture I drew of a cruisader

In this project we learned first about politics for example we learned about the feudal system and went especially deep into the roles of knights. Second we learned about Charlemagne and the schools he built which were more or less monasteries. Along with that we also learned about the school system in the Middle Ages and what subjects they studied. What we learned wasn’t the fun part. It was how we learned it. Whenever we learned about a new sub-topic we would make a new slide for it and fill it with fun facts and those kinds of things. I think that it was really nice and better than the things we would normally do when we had textbook work.

While we were doing the textbook work we also read a book called the Book of the Lion. It was a rather good book which was about the crusades and a little bit of life in the Middle Ages. It was based off of real events although the characters were fiction. We read it for three weeks and every week we did Lit* circles in groups of six where every week we would switch and everyone do something different. What we did on the textbook sort of coincided with the book and it helped me learn about the Middle Ages a lot more. I think that I will remember it.

Although the book was easy to read it was harder to put the book and all the other work into a bigger picture and the keynote really helped with that. Unlike most of the other humanities projects we didn’t have to write pages upon pages of things this project had everything nice and organized without as much homework.

The topic and the main parts, the book, the presentation, and the keynote were all sort of similar to what we have already done making the tasks a whole lot easier than something which is new altogether (most of the PLP work). I think this was one of the major gains for me because I am very good at using what I have learned. Learning while doing is way harder than learning with something easy and then doing the hard thing once having learned. I’m also better at doing things in very straightforward situations as this project was where I can focus on one task at a time. There are two kinds of minds, one where everything is connected, and the other which goes from box to box. I’m more of someone who thinks in boxes and won’t think about many other aspects of one thing.

After we did all of that work we did one more thing which was a short presentation on how one thing changed from the Middle Ages to now and how one thing continued to be the same. It was a nice process and a light task which I found good although I don’t think that the topics me and my partner chose are going to help me with anything because what do we learn from Middle Ages transportation.

In my view this project was fun and good. I think that if you were to ask me next September “how did society work in the Middle Ages?” I’d be able to give you a satisfying answer. Thank you, čau 4 now!

Chemistry Coding

In this project, we learned a lot about chemistry, but even more about coding. Throughout the project, we did a few experiments and a lot of theorizing, but most of all (in my case at least) what we did was coding, and more or less learning how to code in scratch.

At first, we did a lot of textbook work. It was boring but from the textbooks was how I learned more or less what I needed to know to do the project, although all you really needed to know to do everything but the test was, that atoms go around faster the hotter they are or the more energy they have and the colder they are or the less energy they have, the slower they go.

About the project. I started with trying to do a platformer (like Geometry dash) but after a few days of trying, I realized that coding my game wasn’t just going to be easy. So I re-started completely. I figured out how the functions worked to make a pong like game that steadily speeds up.

CIt was a two player game which was pretty fun. Making it got my knowledge of coding in scratch to a new level and I started on an atom simulator that would be like the one on the website our science teacher showed us. In the end, I didn’t do it fully because of some functions not working as planned and because I couldn’t do something which would more or less do if TEMP = 520 delete scratch H and scratch O, If TEMP = 520 run scratch H2O. Maybe there is some way to do that in scratch but for now I have no idea.

Now onto what I learned, didn’t learn, and what challenged me the most. I learned a lot about molecular theory, the formation of elements, and the kinetic molecular theory. It wasn’t challenging to learn it once you figured it out. I learned it and went on. Then there came the challenging part which was the coding. The coding was hard because no one knew that well how to code in scratch and we had to learn by testing different functions. It took a while to do so and when I got to the level that I was better than someone who just started but not good enough to make a good game. So, now I can more or less understand the statements but not fully incorporate them and know how to do what I should do to do what I want to do.

I think that in the end I did learn a lot about atoms and molecular theory and I also learned a lot about coding in scratch. I think that the people at scratch HQ should put in more functions and IF statements. It was a fun project and and I’m excited for the next one which if my sources are correct will, be about math 🙂 Because math is my favourite part of science.

Now onto the part where I talk about the competencies.

We did a lot of teamwork throughout the project although I should’ve lead my group to have the work more equally distributed and not as much with me doing one thing and my other group members, especially Nathan not knowing what to do for most of the time. Next time I will try to make the groups I work in more socialist and democratic instead of a capitalist dictatorship

My Mpol post

Through the start of this year I have been learning a lot. I learned less about the subject of the projects than I did about how to actually do the projects. The only thing I learned about that doesn’t make me not learn about how to do the projects is math even though in math the project is the subject. If you want to know a lot about math go to the end. 

The first thing I think I really learned about was time management and always having time for homework. So lets start with Maker. At the start of the year we did the Big Life Journal. The big life journal was very fun and only got difficult with the last few chapters where there was a little bit more thinking involved. It was about what you want to be when you grow up and how you will get it. So logically I didn’t do it well and I kind of learned my first big lesson, time management. Every two days, or every maker class one chapter was due. Because I go climbing Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I only had one evening to work on it and a lot of the time the evenings were already take up by stuff I do with my family like going on walks until dinner and then bedtime. This can even reflect on now where I have a friend from Mexico over and we spend most of the weekends and after school outside. The day before my Mpol presentation we went skiing from school time until 10pm and I didn’t do any homework at all. On Sunday we went hiking for 5 hours and  because we had a late start and I only did homework in the evening. But that’s not all. I procrastinate a lot. When I have time to do work I think about playing games and doing other stuff instead. In the morning I play with lego, and in the evening I sit around and look at it along with my other toys or play computer games. I know I really shouldn’t but it’s not like the assignment is due tomorrow.

Time management is definably something I need to and will continue working on because in almost every project I do, I procrastinate up to the last second because I want to just enjoy myself instead of doing the homework I know I’ll have to do sometime anyways.

The second thing that I learned about except this time I succeeded at it was my Growth Mindset. I think this is because I already had a growth mindset before, or at least that’s what it felt like. I’m always open to learning new things. It’s fun to figure out an equation or solve a problem and that’s fun. That’s why I’m good at having a growth mindset. But this is about what I want to improve and not what I’m already good at. In my growth mindset I still need to improve some things like being open to different ways of solving problems and different styles. For example I’m not that good at writing in some more philosophical ways. I like everything to be strait forward and there being a straight up answer for everything. PLP has taught me that in most scenarios it’s not that way and you need to plan ahead a lot. 

So because of those two factors and a few more minor factors I decided to make my question: “How can I improve my learning from mistakes?” Or more or less  “How can I effectively learn from my mistakes?” 

Because throughout the last few months I made a lot of mistakes. I made them because PLP was teaching me and showing me things and ways to do things that I had never before done. A good example of that is the sciematics book about plate tectonics and tectonic plates which I had done wrong in many ways, the first of which was that my book wasn’t interesting and second because I didn’t include enough of my knowledge about tectonics in it even though I fully understood the process of all of the tectonics from how earthquakes can form to how and why Hawaii is slowly moving South-East. Having not done something like a book for kids about scientific subjects before (looking back at it I know what I should have done and what I will do better next time) I didn’t really know how to write it. 

There is one last thing I want to talk about and it’s something completely different. It’s PGP. PGP is one of the funnest school projects I ever did. Not because of what the work was, but more majorly about how we did it. We went to Oregon and I learned a lot about a lot of different things. To this day I don’t entirely know what the project was about and why it didn’t feel like so much work but I can take my guesses and most of the time my guesses/hypothesis’s are correct and on track. I think that most of all the PGP project was to find out how well we worked, how efficiently we used our time, and to piece together this puzzle which is our class in PLP (kind of like a bonding activity). 

I have a goal for this year of PLP, well actually I have two. The first one is to use my time more wisely and efficiently and the second is to not play any video game by my birthday. Lets start with the first goal, using all of my time efficiently. I chose this goal above all others because it’s one of my worst habits. Playing, talking (I’ve already stopped messaging) and not doing schoolwork with my friends during class is hard to resist and so is just giving up on the homework I’ve got to do and just reading or playing video games. Would you rather be writing a blog post about your school year and what you want to do, or read a nice book while enjoying a great tasty drink of your choice (in my case either milk or fruit tea(rum with fruits and then boiling water added to it) which are both yummy). See? No one likes to work except those people, and at least for when I’m in PLP I need to be one of those people. I just need to motivate myself with some message like if you don’t do your homework Satan will get you or something along those lines. Now onto stop playing video games, which is just mental effort, but I have better things to do like reading books.

One last thing, which is math. I want to exclude math because it doesn’t really fall into what PLP stands for. It’s straightforward and easy to do unless you don’t learn the equations or have a fixed mindset. I myself am good at math and love learning new equations. In grade six I had a teacher who didn’t teach us anything about math and then I learned what I should’ve learned in a whole year in just three weeks. It was thrilling and fun. But most of all straightforward. In math you don’t have to learn a lot of names and it’s all just numbers which couldn’t be more straightforward if you did all you could to make it. So all in all, I like to do math and it’s my favourite subject which doesn’t involve sports. 

I don’t know which message you get from that but what I’m sending is that I’m learning how to do things and when I crack the code or figure out the secret, and I will do that, I’m going to make PLP be one of my best learning experiences ever, and I’m going to make it count.

The mini Blue Sky Project

Star Wars

A somewhat long time ago in a galaxy approximately 1 kilometre away, our glorious teacher told us about the next big project we were going to do. A Star Wars themed mini Blue Sky project. She said that it would be huge, great, and a ton of work. I didn’t have much of a clue about what it was going to end up like, but I was ready to learn.

The first work we did within the project was the how might we or HMW form which was how we would figure out what we were going to do. The form wasn’t the best way for me to get an idea and instead of having ideas from the HMW’s, I got ideas by brainstorming driving questions.

Once I had brainstormed a few driving questions I selected one and did the rest of the sheet based on it. That’s what I did for Idea 2 until I realized that idea 3 would be much more realistic and so in the end I decided to go with Idea 3. My driving question for idea 3 was “How come most of the planets in Star Wars have only one biome opposed to Earth which has poles and many different biomes in its regions?” This kind of question looking back at it, isn’t the best kind of driving question to have for a project because it doesn’t have a direct answer and the indirect answer can’t be built on the budget of spare cardboard, paper, glue, and stuff from the trash.

The next thing we did was ask tons of questions which we would have to answer using google. It was an easy task and only took an hour or so to complete.

Whenever I came up with a question I’d write it down on the sheet. If I were just reading a book and my mind wandered off to and idea I’d write it down on the sheet. If I were eating and thinking and I got an idea I’d write it down on the sheet. If I were biking home and I got an idea I’d bike home and write it down on the sheet. In total I got 21 questions and some of them even helped me out a little bit. I learned from that assignment that the best questions come in the worst environments, where it takes you a few minutes before you can write it down.

After that we did the inquiry which was more or less a simple plan for what we wanted to do.

For me that was restating things and saying the obvious. It wasn’t much of a process and in the end I didn’t do it perfectly either. It didn’t teach me much but I think that had I given it more effort I would’ve gotten it better than that.

Around the time when we learned about all of those things we also learned about and used the LAUNCH cycle. In the LAUNCH cycle L = look, listen and learn. A = ask tons of questions. U = understand the problem or process. N = navigate ideas. C = create a prototype. H = highlight and fix and then LAUNCH to the audience.

You can see that the work that we did reflected the LAUNCH cycle and that we were then on the create a prototype phase. So I built a prototype, or at least tried to because half way through I realized I didn’t have all the parts. So instead of making a prototype I drew one, listed all the materials, and fixed what I saw wrong in my original plan. It worked out and the real thing was as good as ever. I didn’t take any pictures of it though, because I had different things on my mind but I can tell you how my presentation would go.

First I’d point at my model planet and say this is a Star Wars grass or forest planet. It might be able to exist if it were rotating around the sun at the same distance all year round, and have the same amount of sunlight on every spot. This means that it couldn’t have an axis which makes the planets have poles which are the cold spots. Or have a really weird axis which is more or less not even an axis. Now there are also planets like Coruscant which are city planets which could be Earth in a few millions of years if we do everything right. It could just be that a city covered the whole world and by dong that covered all the water sources, therefore making there be no more clouds. Because clouds or water vapour makes up 50% of the greenhouse affect we would have to replace that with something and my guess would be that the C02 emitted from people would replace the water. I don’t know how they’d get the oxygen but food and water can be imported. Then the last kinds of planets are planets like Tatooine and Hoth which are ice and desert planets. Hoth could be Earth in the Ice Age or just a planet far away from the sun and Tatooine is a desert planet which resembles a Mad Max wasteland and something from a future where Trump gets re-elected, or people don’t pay attention to climate change. There’s one more kind of planet and that is the tropical planet where the big battle in Rouge One takes place. That could be a planet with a strong greenhouse affect and lot of water on the surface.

Reflecting on the project, I could have done it better but I’m contempt with the outcome. I know what to change for the better next time and what to keep. A project from which I learned about doing projects. See you next time, goodbye. 👋

LASER

For this project we made right triangles with lasers and did some math about the pythagorean theorem (A squared + B squared = C squared) which I felt was easy. What was hard for this project was making the models accompanying the right triangles. This also took the longest time. In my opinion it took the longest time because we didn’t organize it enough. So let me tell you about what we did and learned within this project.

We started with the basics. We did some math, learned more about the Pythagorean theorem and built up on the knowledge we already had. 

Second we learned about mirrors and light from a textbook and from our teacher. I’d say that to better understand light you should learn about speed, how the wave frequencies affect different colours, and how light is both a particle and a wave. This is because it’s hard to explain light in any easy and short way.

In between the learning we worked on a mind map to keep everything on track.

The big project was to make a right triangle out of one laser and mirrors. This in theory and in practice, if you only set up the laser triangle is pretty easy although if you want to make the laser triangle on convincing models of Star Wars ships made out of cardboard floating in the air it takes a bit of work.

For my group we made a model Death Star and two model star destroyers out of cardboard. As I worked on the Death Star, while Randy made the star destroyers. It was a long and dull process which was too much work for the result. The ratio of working on the actual laser compared to making the model was 1 to 10.

Then at the end of the project we set up our laser triangle which was sitting in position. So we carried it to the room. Unfortunately we dropped it and one of the star destroyers broke off. Because of this we had to improvise. We set the Death Star along with the first star destroyer a bit lower than usual and positioned the third model up on a separate platform. It worked out in the end and looked great except for the star destroyers being five times the size they are in Star Wars compared to the Death Star. Thanks to Randy who built the star destroyers I designed and designed the laser triangle and Nathan who did “research”.

Reflection on the Student Blogging Challenge

For the last few weeks I have as many others have been doing the Student Blogging Challenge. It was fun and I did a lot of work on it. So lets do a recount of all the blog posts which were in it.

the first one I did was about something I liked. I chose my favourite toy, Lego.

This one was short and more or less just me writing about my love of Lego and what I like to do with it. I’m building a train station out of lego right now and am hoping to have it done by Christmas. It’s coming along bit by bit and I’m happy with the process.

It’s building process was straight forward. I first spent hours looking through my lego box looking for pieces and then when I thought I had enough I started building the design I was and still am boing for is simple. A tiny platform In the middle and a big platform on the left side. From the photo you can see that I haven’t yet put the track in for the left side and that’s because it was easier to build the middle platform without it. If you’re wondering about the crossing, I built that earlier.

Wait one second! I just completed a little bit more!

But that’s still not the whole thing done. I have a lot more to do. Onto the next assignment!

It was about pictures and copyright.

It was the only assignment that didn’t spark any joy, meaning I didn’t get much out of it or in other words, I didn’t learn much from it. I just wrote about the flaws and problems of copyright and that was it.

Next up..

Music!! For music I made a playlist on YouTube, made a quiz about music, and I wrote about an instrument which I play but you have to guess. It was fun to write up and especially fun to do the play list because for the playlist because I got to listen to music for an hour.

Then up next were…

Emojis! Although not as fun as music the blog post about emojis was also quite fun. First I said some facts about emojis and included a graph of all the first ones. Then I did a guess the country quiz and then a math question, both are easy. After that I made a series of emojis that describe me and made an emoji of my face by using an app called “Emoji Me”.

After that for the latest one I did the one about My Holidays. I wrote about all of them but narrowed out on one in particular which is the Czech way of celebrating Easter. After that I also made a poem about holidays in general.

All of the Blogging Challenge has been fun and not a waste of time. Every week as my life was going on I would sit down for an hour or two and write these posts. They varied but were always fun and about fun subjects which I would happily write about without being made to. Thank you, goodbye.

My holidays

My family celebrates many of the same holidays as every European or Canadian, but some we celebrate slightly differently, like Christmas where we stay up late around the Christmas tree waiting until our parents decide to put the presents under the tree.
When I was four I first encountered Halloween when two American girls dressed convincingly as witches knocked on our door and said trick or treat then explained in German with heavy American accents what the holiday was. My dad gave them a bit of candy. Then the next year, after we moved to Canada I went trick or treating for the first time. I went with my mum as I didn’t speak much English at the time.
We also celebrate Thanksgiving, our birthdays, Easter, and Silvester also known as New Years Eve.
My favourite holidays are my birthday and Christmas. They’re my favourite holidays because on those days I get presents either from family of from my friends as they do from me on their birthdays and Christmas.

There is one holiday I would like to speak about little more.

In the Czech Republic Easter is celebrated a bit differently. There for Easter the boys go to a willow tree, take of some twigs and make things that are almost like whips. They then go and get to chase girls around with them. I never celebrated it although one time my mum made one of the things out of the branches of the tree.

Another traditions is painting of the Easter eggs. We sometimes hang the coloured eggs on the tree, but that is more a German tradition.

My mom also bakes the Easter bread or Easter lam.

That you can make yourself a better picture, here is a Video about Czech Easter traditions.

Now for a poem

There are many holidays

For you an adult pays

for the gifts kids receive

More than you’d believe

they are fun

until they’re done

but of fun toys there’s a ton

And then we get supermarket kinder egg or Christmas light blow out sales.