The Animation Problem (SBC 2018 Week 5)

In the Mainstream film industry, animation is one of the most disappointing industry with forgettable and very “meh” films. Can you remember the plot or characters of “Ferdinand”, “Smurfs: The lost Village”, “The LEGO Ninjago Movie” or even the ending of “The Incredibles 2”. The majority of the animation industry is only focused making and marketing movies to small children and uses big name actors to hook in the Parents.

Illumination Animation is one of the worst contenders of this, with movies like “Sing!” which holds no substance or message, had stale or little too no style and was very pandering to all audiences.

When you see this picture what theme or mood can you see?
Is there a character that you can relate too? That was Illumination’s main goal.

There are many different and creative animated movies but are quickly forgotten because the big and flashy films are very obnoxiously advertised.

Look at how in-your-face this poster, and look at how the actors name is so massive!

Japanese Animation ( or anime ) is some of the best animated movies of all time with films like: Spirited Away, Your Name, A Silent Voice and Cowboy Bebop.

Animation is a medium where you can show literally anything to anyone and it’s only being used for   children. There are and will always be amazing mainstream Animated Movies from studios like Pixar and Laika Studios but there is a growing population of “meh” movies from Sony Pictures,Blue Sky and Dreamworks.

For Cinema And Other Strange Things, This is Jude.

2 Thoughts.

1. Hello.
    Thanks for sharing you opinion on animated movies. I feel the same as you do about them. I prefer Pixar animation, but I did enjoy the Disney animation Brave.
    Are you interested in a career in animation?
    Thanks.
    Dinah

• Hi Dinah, Thank You for the Comment! I haven’t seen Brave in a long time but last time I saw it I thought it was very good. I’m interested in maybe being a writer on a animated TV show