Tying It All Together | Shrew You!

In the longest five weeks of my life – our class went on an enlightening journey across the 20th century and into elizabethan times to discover: how much, yet how little, has changed for women?

The defining moment, and one of our first topics in class, for women’s rights in the 20th century was the suffragette movement. The movement gave a voice to the silent, and moulded the conditions of women for the century. As you might expect voting was a highly contentious topic, and many were adamantly against it – forming an anti-suffragette coalition. Men of the time were anxious of losing the gender dynamic and seemed to be haunted by the notion “that the advancement of women will sometime, someway, someplace, interfere with some man’s comfort” as perfectly said by Nelly McClung.

To side step, in the course of 5 weeks, I wrote 4 different posts on points of interest during given times. In one case, I talked about the anti-suffragettes, and why they were so imposed by women voting.

As I learned about the trails and tribulation of the suffragettes, what became painfully clear was that rights don’t always mean equality. In this instants, we know in spite of women winning the write to vote, and supposedly being made “equal” in the name of the law – they were still far from equal, as women today are still protesting in the streets for rights. This idea of continuity and change in respects to the suffragette movement, is made whole in my first writing assignment the Academic Conclusion, my first stab at designing text. In my mind this was a great learning experience and helped build a strong foundation of understanding, of what good text looks like. The main take away being “go deeper, not bigger”. Meaning, it is considerably more powerful to go in to detail about a specific idea, then to go into a lot of broad ideas. A point of learning I carried with me throughout the rest of the unit. On top of this learning, my last draft, was a great example of my understanding of continuity and change. In this write up, I came up to a conclusion that despite winning the right to vote, we have fallen disturbingly short from equality. I supported these statements with stats and references, from modern day to the early 20th century.

The year is 1950, and you are a young women who’s aspirations go as far as tonights dinner and dry cleaning your husbands suit. In my mind the 50s represent the idea of “good american values”, being a great time for capitalism and a bad time for women. For this course we were tasked to present in groups a particular decade of women’s rights, mine being the 50s. Admittedly, I was set on the 2000s – turns out it was a blessing I researched the 50s since I used it as reference, time and time again for the following projects. For this presentation my group, Emily, Adlih, Alex, and I, collaborated to create an awesome project. Regardless, there were definitely points of turbulence, one being my presentation skills. My cheeks went red, palms sweaty, and got all nervous, spiralling into a pretty poor presentation. Fortunately, I came out feeling like a winner as I took substantial notes on each groups decade, which included a majority of the 20th century. In addition, I did extensive research and I believe that shined through. This extensive research was difficult because I had to differentiate between, helpful and unhelpful sources. This took a certain level on comprehension to the text. I was careful when using certain resources, and when I did, I highlighted who created the text and for what purpose.

Shakespeare was by no means a feminist, and neither were his plays. Despite this, they are a great representation of the change and continuity of women’s rights and equality, in contrast to today. For that reason, Shakespeare’s “The Taming Of The Shrew” became the cornerstone of our references and understanding. In all honesty, I am far from a Shakespeare junky – but found this play engaging. It had strong and interesting ties to women’s rights, and also had humour. Although it was engaging, it was by no means easy to follow (but when has shakespeare ever been). This was a struggle, and probably not my strongest example of my ability to comprehend text.

Writing is a process, and thats exactly what I learned. Across the timeline, I created multiple outlines, thesis’s, and drafts. In reality, what prepared me most for the essay was the extensive notes, common-lit readings, essay analysis’s, videos, and “The Taming Of The Shrew” readings. These ideas were the foundation of my essay. Without the resources, it is no more than a high-school kids opinion. One example of how genuinely connected all my learning was, was how the research from my group project drove and inspired my thesis. My thesis being: “Women of the 20th century acted as primary care givers and homemakers in their role in support of their husbands, while women today must both provide for the family through increase participation in the workforce and act as primary homemaker, a situation as challenging as it is unfair.”

As I was writing, designing text was fundamental, and the root of most of my revisions. I have always struggled with my writing demons. These demons, always lead me down the path of writing dry, and monotone. From the first draft to the last, I worked extensively on incorporating my voice. Even now, I wish I took more creative risk.

From my Academic conclusion where I told Ms. Willemse: “I don’t think I can write much better than that” to my last essay were I eventually wrote “much better than that”, I have progressed on many levels in the past 5 weeks. Its bigger than a simple essay, I learned that I really enjoy writing, and I also much more academically confident. I am hoping to do some more writing in-between our PLP break, and I might very well turn into a semi-capable writer.

Diverging Roads to Rights | TWIL #4

If you have been off the grid or underneath a rock for the past month, this was a big week for not only America but for the world; the US Election. This is especially timely, seeing we have been closely studying women’s rights. Ergo, I was inspired to see what this election meant for women’s rights. To demonstrate my learning of the week, I did a ton of research and reading, to discover the continuity and change between Biden and Trump initiatives.

I didn’t want to just do another blog post, so I decided to make a visual to demonstrate my learning. I saw these two candidates as diverging paths in the history of women’s rights. 4 years is a long time, and can change the landscape of society. In this image I created, the white text shows agreed topics or certain realities. Following the road, the red and blue text, is my opinion and research on what Trump has done, and what Biden will do.

Title X Definition: Title X funding provides critical reproductive, educational, and counseling services related to family planning and contraception to 4 million clients each year.

Global Gag Rule Definition: The Gag Rule prevents recipients of U.S. foreign aid from offering any information, referrals, services, or advocacy regarding abortion care.

Work Cited:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-women-international-womens-day-abortion-policies-healthcare-a9380411.html 

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/reports/2017/04/25/430969/100-days-100-ways-trump-administration-harming-women-families/ 

https://www.usnews.com/elections/child-care-2020 

https://joebiden.com/womens-agenda/ 

Objectifying or Liberating? TWIL #3

Sexist or not? This is a question that has become a staple of our classroom, and quickly evolving into the most captivating part of my school day. From my grandmas favourite song to yours, we have been starting off the day with a shot of debate – posing whether or not some famous song are just sexist?

These conversations brought lots of interesting dialogue and perspectives. Some going as far to say, “does it even matter that it’s sexist?”. The entertaining part is there was no right answer, it felt very much up to interpretation, leaving the room often separated by opinions. Interestingly, I brought up a lot of questions, but had few concrete opinions. A question that always came to my mind was, “is this objectifying or liberating?”. This question became more and more interesting as we ventured into modern songs with women roles like Timber and Wannabe. As I am not a women, I found it hard to differentiate. Is a women wearing tight clothes and being sexual, necessarily objectifying?

What came to mind, is the slut walk. A movement basically reclaiming the word slut, and the women body. The idea that women can be sexual or wear tight clothing, and not be seen as bad. I could argue that they are not objectifying themselves, but liberating themselves.

So, are songs and music videos like Wannabe or Shakira in Timber, liberating or objectifying women and themselves? Unfortunately I don’t have an answer for you, but I certainly have questions.

The Dark Side of History | TWIL 2

Hey guys, this week I’m taking a different approach and left you guys a podcast/voice recording. I chose to research and go deeper on the women’s rights movement, and simply talked through my thoughts. Enjoy responsibility!

Some of the sites I used for research:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2019/06/atlantic-suffrage-family-home/591445/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43740033

http://www.johndclare.net/Women1_ArgumentsAgainst.htm

Marking History PLP 12 – The History of our Home

MUSIC CUE: “Back In The Saddle” by Aerosmith

Welcome Back. I know all my fervent readers have been anxiously waiting for another of my scalding hot blog posts – so here it is!

The opening project for this semester was called, Marking History, and was spearheaded by Ms. Maxwell. In this post I will reflect on the process I followed, feature what I did, and importantly, what I learned.

Deep Cove, is a traditional clamming and fishing area of the Tsleil-Waututh nation who have inhabited the area for thousands of years. In the mid-late nineteenth century the first settlers came to the region and became part of the growth of what has become a flourishing Mount Seymour community today. This community and the history its built upon is the premise of the project. We were entrusted to act as historians and to curate and to tell the story of our community. This project came together over time and we worked with the Deep Cove Heritage Society, who were eager to let us help revamp their walking tour of Deep Cove.

One of the initial stages of the project was understanding what it meant to be a “historian”, and how to be accurate and effective when sharing historical events. As we worked through it, we identified a core of 6 competencies to focus on when building our historical story.

– Cause and Consequence
– Historical Perspective
– Primary Sources
– Ethical Dimensions
– Continuity and Change
– Historical Significance

I spent a lot of time on these competencies, but made an oath to focus on two primary factors:I wanted to strive to analyze different and conflicting perspectives, and also to spend time on researching primary sources to ensure I presented accurate information. I regularly revisited the oath to make sure I was on target. The biggest struggle was finding primary sources given the lack of documented history but i was lucky enough to find some information and then relied on extracting information from secondary sources, to establish a narrative. 

In general, I learned how easy it is to only use a single resource, and one person’s anecdotal story. In a world of bias, I was accustomed to only using the most accessible resource. As I focused on it, I collected a large variety of sources and became proficient in the competency of TAKING A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE. For example, my milestone 2: Perspectives in the Cove task. I gathered not only primary and secondary source evidence (often very old, but cross referenced and supported by multiple sources) but also quotes and examples that I used it to back up my arguments.

Excerpt from my Perspectives in the Cove.

As we worked linearly through the process, we started compiling historical research and improve my understanding of our community. To further our learning, we read one of the best recourses that exist about the Deep Cove region, Echoes Across Seymour. This book gave me excellent insight on the cove and its history. Along with this information, the class established a physical sticky note timeline of the Cove. I was tasked with specifically adding information on the Deep Cove Heritage Society. Another assignment that built onto our knowledge was Our Community Events. In this task I finally got to act as a historian and flex my knowledge. This assignment was interesting because as opposed to going to the internet for perspectives, I went to my neighbours down the road at Deep Cove Heritage Society. It was a primary resource just a few steps away.

Deep Cove sticky note timeline. Fun fact: Deep Cove had a tv show that aired for about a year.

During summer, my dad, uncle, and I boated down to the northern end of the arm just past Iron Bay. They told me about the legendary story of an outpost, the Wigwam Inn. Little did I know, months later I would be spending hours researching and creating a historical marker here for a walking tour. By virtue of hearing about the Inn, when it came time to decide what location we wanted to feature – I chose the Wigwam.

A photo of the beautiful Wigwam Inn, taken by me.

In my assessment, the toughest portion of the project was creating a written narrative for my location as it was limited to no more than 100 words. Because of this, I adapted all of my writing and research down to a refined 100 words which pushed me to improve on one of the key competencies that are part of my required learning. Notably, the competency of WRITING AND DESIGNING TEXT became key to my work. I had to decide what was
engaging and meaningful and how it would deliver the messages that I was hoping to communicate concisely. By focusing on what factors were historically significant to my narrative and driven by my overall sense of ‘Why Does It Matter?’ I was forced to learn how to be concise and focus on what was truly important. A good example is the inclusion of the Tseil-Waututh within the text and their influence on the region as a whole, their influence on early settlers, and any roles they might have played.

Additionally, I USED RESOURCES, both primary and secondary to conclude what were accurate and reliable sources of research. I spent a lot of time on the web, researching sources which proved to be very interesting, including finding old newspaper clippings, learning about Kaiser Wilhem and the history of the Wig Wam Inn as a focal point of the risk and famous in the early part of the century, which was very interesting. The press clippings regarding some of the intrigue at the Wig Wam and the police raid that took place in the 1960’s. I supplemented this with a visit to the site and a discussion with the caretaker on-site. In this unit, I learned a lot about curating text and eliminating irrelevant information in order to deliver to my audience the information that provided them with context but also made their visit an interesting one.

As a class we decided to create two schemes for the walking tour. A pamphlet for those without access to wifi or data, and a google map for those with access. My role in the creation process was Co-Lead Curator for the pamphlet. I found this to be a difficult task because I was not assigned to anything concrete and somewhat removed from some of the process. Yet, I thought it was a cool learning experience being the ‘manager’. As a curator, I oversaw and facilitated a few aspects of the final product. This included tasks such as creating and designing the google doc, communicating with the Google Maps team, checking progress, helping plan out map routes, writing emails, adding citations, revising emails, and created a Tsleil-Waututh introduction paragraph.

I was not born in Deep Cove, but whole heartedly consider it my home. Regardless, I will tell you that during this project it was clear that I knew very little about my community’s history. By the end of this project, I considered my self a full fledged historian!

S-NL and S-Words – TWIL V2

The ball is rolling. From this point on my posts will be consistent – once a week reflections. I will strive to focus on less of what I did, but relevantly what I learned. This week I was especially tied up, as we finished up one unit, and transitioned into another.

From Monday to Wednesday, we closed up the 5 week effort, Marking History. Before calling it a close, we had to send off the pamphlet and custom google map to the Deep Cove Heritage Society, as well as make a final reflection post. As far as the final reflection goes, I am partly done, and on track to finish for the deadline.

As Thursday rolled through, the grade 12 cohort finally reassembled. In class, Ms. Willemse (who is spearheading this project) introduced the focal points of this unit. The unit is dubbed Shrew you!, a reference to the famous Shakespeare comedy Taming of the Shrew. So far, this project has been introduced with two aspects in mind; Literature and vocabulary, and the continuity and change of women’s rights.

In the first two days, we wasted no time jumping into literacy assessments and writing. In this time, I learned how crucial it is to deliver more than good points, but good evidence. Certainly the high point of this week was learning about woman’s rights and the suffrage movement in England, Canada, and the States. As well as Women’s representation in the media, and the use of the “s” slur. During class we viewed 4 or so clips, ranging from SNL to Sex in the City. We were tasked to chart our reaction then write about the continuity and change between videos and timeline. I learnt how rapid social beliefs surrounding words and ideals have changed. In one of the clips based in the early 2000s, crude remarks were made about bisexuals. To the extent I was shocked it was allowed on TV at that point.

In terms of the in-class write ups, I struggled. I realized how ambitious for me, writing in short periods of time in a unfavourable environment was. I settled on the idea that writing down my headlining points and ideas, could be helpful. This tactic restricts me from going on a tangent. Secondly, it makes it clear whether I have answered the question and properly worked within the competency.

In conclusion, I learnt a lot this week. I hope you are as fervent as I, to see what is in store for next week. 

SOCIAL DISTANCING TPOLS 2020 | PLP 11

Through the past four years I have been learning, sharpening my saw, and growing into the person and learner I am today; This presentation will be exactly that, what I have done, and why I am ready to transition into the next grade level. So let’s get it on!

WHAT AM I MOST PROUD OF?

It’s always preferable to start with the good news. So, let’s talk about my work that I am proud to present and what makes it so. This year more than any I can say confidently that I have the most work that I feel comfortable highlighting. And my favourite is my current project: a civil rights unit: We Shall Overcome. Justifiably so, because it is my latest project and I think it documents what I have learned from this year and how I have applied it.

So, as I was saying I think this project is a great example of my work, because it taught myself how to write from the heart and it is very relevant in today’s environment. Now I am going to give you the break down on the recipe for what I think is a successful unit. Firstly, I learned from my MPOLS – In which I talked about understanding what I am being asked to do and the competencies at hand. For example, Dear ___, is it racist? This was a milestone that was interesting, personal, and important, so it was imperative that I did not miss what was being asked. So, like clock work, whenever I felt myself losing the scent I would return to the roots of the project, that being the competencies:

A indirect plus to this was it genuinely became easier to write. I found that earlier in the year, whenever I took a blind stab at a project it usually came out wrong. Now, I take a blank piece of paper and write down an outline and how it applies to the competencies. This habit works extremely well, and helps the flow. As opposed to improvising while I write. I am sure my dad can back this up, because he is the one who was promoting and helping me do it.

Think & Create #2 | What does Racism and Justice look like in the 21st century?

Let’s talk more about the writing strategies, I have adopted this year. I have learned that to produce, the most evident, straight to the point, and textbook writing, I have to deliberately create a thesis after most points, that uses the competencies and my structured thoughts. This is illustrated in my latest think & create, a post which in my mind may be the #1 post and project I have created. Here is an example:

WHAT PROJECT WAS MOST CHALLENGING?

Poetry, poetry, poetry… I wish I was any good, but it seems I really didn’t know how to handle the artsy stuff. Intellectual insecurities, if only I knew, what I knew now.

This is something I have been thinking about a lot, and I think it poisons a majority of my work. It seems that I often, become so worried in making my work seem cool and smart but often it comes out confusing. I try so hard for people to think I am smart, that it becomes just a struggle to write with flow of ideas. From big words to vague statements, it makes it very hard to write. You can call it protein, evidence, substance, or meaning but I have been striving to find it. As opposed to writing so my thoughts appear smart, I have been trying for them to genuinely be relevant. In the poetry unit, a majority of my final poems came out to be short, fluffy, and a little fake.

Creating genuine and free flowing work, supported by evidences, and catering to competencies, will lead me to create work I am ultimately proud of. It will be a deal breaker for success in grade 12, and has been this years overarching lesson. I talked about my success, and by no coincidence, it is polar opposite to my failure. When I focus on the evidence, competencies, learning, and my understanding, it ensures I have the key part. I now have confidence that my creativity and skills will shine bright, when I follow my plan and let my words do the talking.

C’YA!

To conclude, this year was eventful, educating, and has changed me in more ways then one. I didn’t let anything stop me, sports, coronavirus, or busyness. Truly, I want it to be known, it was an awesome year. The people in front of me are the ones who made that happen; You are my support systems and have helped me, stay organized, perceiver, and learn. I continue to grow, learn, and better myself, for those reasons I am ready to advance to the final stage, grade 12.

Trust The Process | PGP 11

Trust the process.

My journey to a habit built lifestyle has been long, turbulent, and disciplined. I have succeeded, and failed, time and time again. Slowly, with small changes everyday, I am evolving into a early waker, hike taker, hydrated, and flexible student athlete. I can feel my habits solidifying into a second nature, and its as regular as a morning shower.

Atomic Habits, by James Clear – you may have heard of this book before. This book was the  pivot of our year in PGP, and the recipe book to my habit building. James Clears book has helped me come to my current understanding of habits. Whether it’s long-term achievement, compounding the 1%, systems vs goals, or the 4 overarching laws, obvious, attractive, easy, and satisfying.

Here are my previous posts on PGP, Atomic Habits, and James Clear:

The 4 Pillars of Building Habits | PGP 11

Heather and Her Beaten Up Shoes | PGP 11

Here is a conversation, Daniel and I had about the book, our lives, habits, and artifact. (ps. I have to work on not saying like so much.)

My Artifact

For this project, we were assigned to create an Artifact that exemplifies our understanding of Atomic Habits; considering the competency ACT. To demonstrate, I chose to once again make a podcast. I love creating podcasts because they are open ended, reflective, personal, and free flowing; all of these characteristics shine bright in this artifact. The steps to making a podcast is second nature now, but the work load never drops. When creating a standout podcast, you need to pull from a lot of pieces. A deep understanding of the topic, a solid script, killer homemade beats, and a little post-production.

Competencies

Think: How do I make choices, question decisions, and develop habits to support achievement? 

This competency can be tracked to the beginning stages of the assignment, and the decisions I made. When I set my bench mark goals at the fetus stages of this project, I already knew I wanted my project to reflect the work, use, and commitment, I had shown in my personal time. In the end, I decided to create a podcast. I came to this conclusion because my personal stories and experiences, plus the ability to create, would carry the weight and equate into an impressive project. I knew I had done podcasts before, so the production side would be a walk in the park. Lastly, I thought that the beauty of the podcast was it’s ability to act out the second competency.

Act: How do I create and demonstrate a thorough and thoughtful understanding?

Firstly, before starting the stages of creation I knew I had the cards to throughly demonstrate my understanding – and I formed the outline to do exactly that. In the podcast I begin with what I have been doing with my understanding and interest for habit building, this sets the tone for the pod. After, I talked about how I was failing in the beginning. This was an alley-oop and the most important part: my learning and understanding for these experiences. To wrap it all up nicely I also added how I applied it, and how it helped solve earlier failures. All this accumulated into what I think is a personal demonstration of my understating and interest in atomic habits.

Reflect: How do I reflect to build knowledge?

Here it is! You’re looking at it! The blog post is the most textbook and concise means of reflection and knowledge building. While writing this post I have been recounting my steps and the learning that has accompanied it. I have talked about my competencies, learning, and shared experiences. Speaking of shared experiences, my chat with Daniel was also a sophisticated and documented example of how I reflect to build knowledge. We talked about each others learning and therefor learned from each other. The biggest take away from that experience with his hydration habits and what has kept him motivated.

That’s a wrap! It’s been a gruelling and life changing year in PGP. This may sound cheesy and unauthentic, but it’s the truth. Today, I write to you as a different more improved person. Thank you to my teachers for the help and guidance along the way, and I am excited to see what next year brings! 

Black lives matter.

Justice for George Floyd.

This week of all weeks, it would be a disservice to not acknowledge what is unfolding right in-front of us. The recent police brutality case of George Floyd, has touched a nerve across the globe and demonstrations in cities everywhere have grown to a roar. The killing of George Floyd is one of many sickening events that have accumulated over the past few weeks.

Institutional Racism.

Regularity seems to usually point to something systemic and institutional. I believe the fact that African Americans are disproportionately incarcerated and incidences of police harassment and brutality is due to something bigger than a series of isolated incidents. Many still live with the consequences of America’s original sin: slavery and racism. It has been institutionalized over generations in the criminal justice system, the economy, the health care system, and the education system. While we like to think it is foreign to us, as Prime Minister Trudeau said today, Canada itself suffers from systemic racism and must learn to do better.

Here is an article about Canada’s faults today: https://theconversation.com/dear-white-people-wake-up-canada-is-racist-83124

Why does it look this Way?

America’s institutions including policing, healthcare, school and government were all born in a racialize and segregated environment and have yet to escape those roots. Because of its relevance let’s analyze the history of policing in America. The origins of police forces in America were a majority white, male focused on responding to ‘disorder’ than crime. Gary Potter says, “these police officers were focused on controlling a “dangerous underclass” African Americans, immigrants and the poor”. Through the early 20th century, there was a low bar for hiring and training officers. Despite the police force coming along way, recent events have reminded us we are still not there. There are identifiable problematic similarities from then until now (e.g. diversity, profiling, brutality, punishment, and training.) The reason we still have similar problems is because it is not confronted properly. Similar culture and systems will continue, if not confronted and reformed properly.

Here is an article about the police forces history: https://time.com/4779112/police-history-origins/ 

Evidence.

Here’s the evidence. George Floyd’s death is a pressing example of how the system is failing. The police officer who took his life was poorly trained and had a culture of misconduct. Derek Chauvin had 18 total complaints filed; The officer who arrived on the scene had 6 past complaints filed. Before Floyd’s tragic death they had faced little repercussion. The system gives no encouragement to act otherwise, and that is institutionalized. Barack Obama called it “tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal.’”. This is evident in the death of David Cornelius Smith, a precursor of the Floyd case. In 2010, David Cornelius Smith was held down with a knee on his neck for 4 minutes by a Minneapolis police officer. He ended up dying – in return the officers were never disciplined. “I can’t breathe” is not a newly coined phrase – we have heard it before.

Here is an article on the police officers past: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/01/us/derek-chauvin-what-we-know-trnd/index.html

What needs to change.

A knowledgeable and outspoken classmate said “you can’t fix a flawed system without tearing it down and rebuilding it”. This is a fact – institutional racism from centuries ago has tried to revise and reform, yet the culture has not altogether changed. Sadly, the reality is that it isn’t feasible to completely tear down these institutions. I believe the appropriate response is to take serious measures. Firstly, we need to buckle down on punishment and repercussions for misconduct. Derek Chauvin had 18 total complaints filed against him, it seems he had minimal reform, and by that point he should have already been removed. I believe, when you are not strict, you encourage events like this. Secondly, I believe we need more civilian oversight. Police officers should not be overseeing other police officers. In a podcast with ‘The Daily’, Shaila Dewan spoke about: efforts to hold problem officers accountable often face resistance from unions, and juries are reluctant to second-guess police decisions. Lastly, I believe a massive recall on training is in order. Before all these events came to light I was privileged enough to assume that the training was adequate. These recent events and all ones before it, say glaringly otherwise. 

Here’s a short podcast I enjoyed about the systems that protect police: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-daily/id1200361736?i=1000476523659

Fight the power. 

“Racism is not getting worse, it’s getting filmed.” – Will Smith 

Activists are fighting the same battle from years ago, but with certainly different tools. This week, I was especially moved by the amount of solidarity, interest, communication, support, and respect on my feed. This is where my artifact comes in… I wanted to make a visual that would encapsulate the power and movement that social media has presented. Yes, at times there is fallout and senseless garbage. Yet, for the most part social media has consequently created a platform for like minded individuals to share, learn, and experience. This artifact demonstrates how the ability to share, learn, and experience on social media has greatly influenced this event and movement on a global scale to take place.

Here is a super interesting post that relates to this, by one of my classmates Daniel Wickstone: http://www.blog44.ca/danielw/2020/05/25/same-old-america/ 

Cause, Consequence, and Conclusion.

“Racism in America is like dust in the air. It seems invisible-Even if you’re choking on it-Until you let the sun in. Then you see it’s everywhere.” – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

This battle for justice has been around as long as time itself, but one person, one event, has once again reopened the eyes of a nation to a matter right under their noses. The video of George Floyd’s murder has consequently created a demand for real change. This event has tipped the balance and caused rightful unrest. The agent of change will prove to be the will of people, combined, with the power of social media and technology. I believe this protest will influence a greater understanding of racism and privilege, and will create major change from all levels of society.

Here are two more great podcasts that I enjoyed if you would like to further your learning on these current events:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/revisionist-history/id1119389968?i=1000476517088 

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-flames-spread-protests-in-america/id151230264?i=1000476412679 

About 2 Months. Thats the beginning of quarantine and the reinvention of myself. During quarantine I have took it upon myself to take measures to make sure I don’t waste away my time in solitary. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s been damn fulfilling. Here are some of my daily goals and routines: 

• Maintain a passive Calorie Deficit
  • Workout 6 times a week
  • Read and Study everyday 
  • Run 2-3 times a week
  • Plyometrics every 2nd day
  • Stretch twice a day
  • French online 7 hours a week
  • Wake up 6:55 am
  • Get up 150 shots per day
  • 10 minutes of dribbling

What’s all this about? 

David Goggins and James Clear are the only hype men I need.

James Clear’s articles on “What is actually required for success?” was an insightful look into the unfiltered truth to success and helped me realize my failures when working towards my goals. Most people believe there is a quick fix to everything. It’s on Pop-up adds and YouTube tutorials, featuring everything under the sun. Most of us are all hooked on the quick-fix and the life hack. Everyone is on the hunt for that algorithm that nets maximum profit with the least amount of effort. Whether it’s lifting weights, running, school, chess, checkers, or cooking there is not cheating the system. 

For this assignment, we have been tasked with reading an article from jamesclear.com and to analyze and reflect on it. As someone who has always has his eyes set on success, I chose this article: 

What is Actually Required for Success?

This article dives into the mistakes we make when striving for success. We first focus on the 10%. When did I drink my pre-workout? Do I need knee-sleeves? Should I buy a new pair of shoes? Instead of putting in the work, you’d rather distract and obsess about the 10%. When in reality, “What you do need is to make a decision, set a schedule, and get started. What you need is to do the work.”

I do it to!

This morning I woke up at 6:55am. Instead of propelling myself into today’s workout I spent approximately an hour watching videos on a particular workout. This has been my kryptonite. Over examining and regularly wasting my time on the small details. Most importantly, it throws my motivation and workout off course. This is an example of how this approach has been plaguing my goals. 

Why do I do it?

It is simply easier to distract myself from the the 90% work, than to face it. It’s much easier to claim that you need something other than hard work. Instead of you needing to constantly work, you tell yourself it’s the 10% variables. At a certain point you need to put in the hours. To anyone reading this post, I can promise you, that the reason you’re failing does not start with the proper squat form, the right guitar, or a new laptop.

Working Wonders 

Since reading this article I have been very strict with how I approach my goals. I put in the work, bad or good. I have found two gigantic upsides. Firstly, it has dramatically compacted every workout, assignment, or practice. Instead of something taking and hour and ½ they take 45 minutes. Secondly, it has helped me build a lot of character. I think this approach will carry on to everything I do. 

I have learned the 10% is always going to be there, but first figure out the 90%. The only thing that has guaranteed me success is consistency. James Clear says, “You don’t need a better guitar to learn how to play. You don’t need a better camera to become a good photographer. You don’t need more experience to become a public speaker.” This goes for anything. I’m one of the slowest kids on my team, but without a doubt you will see me every second day at Myrtle putting in the work. I’m not the greatest basketball player on my team, but without a doubt you will see me at cove cliff putting up those shots, and without a doubt you will see me improve every day.

Reading through this article was really beneficial. It has helped me reinforce and discover my views (e.g, only ingredient you really need to find success and the obstacles you will find along the way). Remember, in the end the greatest skill is always doing the work.