Fulfillment and Fun | Albuquerque Field Study

Grade 11 is on, and the blogs are back! We have recently started school and it was only suitable to take a field study to inaugurate the new year. As we are in grade 11 and are seasoned travellers, embracing maturity, you may be wondering where did we go for our 6th field study? (drum roll please)… Albuquerque, New Mexico. This trip was a multi day excursions that taught me more than the history of the atomic bomb. During this trip I learned about myself, peers and my work.

Posing In Albuquerque!

I must preface this with the fact that I have felt the most personal fulfillment and motivation from the trip and my work to date. This feeling of fulfillment is not something that you parade but internal gratification. Since then I have reflected on this experience and will try to articulate how I achieved this.

During the trip, Mr Hughes routinely said “flexibility is a tortoise trait”. Cognitive flexibility is very important, while on the trip I adopted a flexible mindset. Flexible thinking is the ability to actively switch gears and perceive something in a different fashion. It is critical thinking mechanisms that are exhibited when you stand open to multiple possibilities and ideas. It can also be exhibited when learners incorporate the ideals or thinking of others into their own during collaboration. I demonstrated this competency many times during this trip, One example is when interviewing multiple sources (informed and uninformed), I consumed and reflected on their ideas and embraced different views. When I began utilizing my interviews and conversations for more than face value, I began to indulge in more conversations and created a better project in general. 

Leaving your comfort zone and taking calculated risks makes work more enjoyable. During my project I experimented with my abilities. During the trip I interviewed and spoke to many people. All of this accumulated into becoming more comfortable reaching out. I found that I was enjoying myself and became interested in the topic more and more! Taking risks and experimenting is important it is the primary way to better yourself, yet that is not what I am most satisfied with. I belief that I followed the competencies and curriculum religiously during the trip. When taking risks you must asses your ability to do so with regulation. Going overboard and losing site at the task at hand is a common mishap.

In conclusion, I belief that my use of flexible thinking, risk taking, and regulation have lead me to success, fulfillment, and enjoying the trip more. In the future I will continue to build on these habits and mirror the same positive ideas. I chased betterment and found gratification.

My Backyard

A place so close, yet so far, in our backyard but hours away. During my life I have been lucky enough to travel all around the world. Yet, gone unnoticed, BC.
As most years our, this school year came with an epic trip! This trip was subjectively the best for me. This trip was a 12 day adventure through vast, undiscovered BC. On this trip, we experienced three fazes. Faze 1: The Gold Rush, this faze was extremely fun and I was also prepared because of our resent project about the MIGHTY Fraser. Faze 2: First Nations Peoples, my favourite faze that delve into… intergenerational trauma, their culture, modern treaties, and a first nations group that is self governing. Faze 3: Industries, this was also quite interesting and the most present topic out of the three.
PRE-TRIP RUNDOWN
Before I regal you with the tales of lessons learned, unforgettable experiences, and my project, it is essential that I tell you all about the preparation for the trip and the idea around. Because, sadly we did not go on this trip just for sight seeing…
We started with, the Cariboo Gold Rush Game, this was a super fun project that got me extra psyched for the trip. The Cariboo Gold Rush occurred shortly before the confederation, the Gold rush is placed during the mid too late 1800 in British Columbia, Canada. This assignment began small then slowly turned into a huge ordeal. It was a Snakes and Ladders themed project for many, but my group member, Emily and I tried something a little different.
After, we briefly touched on both of the last two fazes. First, First Nations peoples, then after, Industries appropriate to Canada, like fishing, forestry, mining, and tourism. (As you can see these topics directly correlate with the itinerary for the trip).
SHORT & SAUCY 12 DAY RUNDOWN
This 12 day trip gave me an abundance of memories, and I was left shocked with the beauty BC holds. It might be cliche to say, but I was awe-struck by the beauty in my backyard during the countless hours of driving.
During this post I have already spoke about how I was gifted unforgettable experience and lessons learned. Now I must give some examples… First, I refurbished my speaking skills, casually and formally. During the trip I was blessed to meet many amazing people from all across this place I call home, BC. On the trip I spoke to many different people. On the ferry I spoke for a while to a kind, yet struggling homeless First Nations women. Also on the ferry I spoke to a thriving totem pole shaper who is contracted supposedly all throughout Canada.
On the trip my favourite faze was most definitely numero 2. First Nations Peoples have gone through decades of oppression and mistreatment, yet still they are still fighting for their culture and future. During the trip we went to the Nass Valley to see the famous Nisga’a Nation. The Nisga’a people are autonomous and self governed, this began because they signed one of the first modern treaties.
On the trip we were assigned to create a podcast, recording interviews and moments around the trip. I chose to revolve mine around passion, something that would become a common thread throughout my presentations during the year. I was quite impressed with my skills as I balanced a busy schedule throughout the trip and got a lot done, early!
THE EXHIBITION
The trip was done! I must admit I was relived to come home after 12 days with my peers and teachers. I was ready to start up my regular scheduled day to day life. Yet the experience we faced during the trip would not be tucked away underneath the darkest corner of my room. We still had use for the trip and my podcast would become an extension of my exhibition topic.
ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES AND EVOLVE YOUR IDEA
As time went by the exhibition came sooner and sooner and I was helpless without any idea of where to take my idea. I slowly came up with a plausible idea and went with it! My first idea was based of my ideal that my peers did not understand the importance of passion. This was a problem that I strongly believed in therefor phrasing my questions as, “how can I integrate the importance of passion into the BC curriculum”. Unfortunately, I chose to change or evolve my project into a video about someone in our community wielding their passion and finding success because of it!
Soon, I decided to put the peddle to the metal and find a viable interviewee in my community. I decided I would make a list, do some research, then email. After all that I whittle away to one person, Megan Curren.
WHO IS MEGAN CURREN?
Megan Curren is a long time business owner in deep cove (room6). She moved from the states with her husband and dog 16 years ago. She has always been passionate about everything she does and embodies the phrase “walk the talk”. After, consistent shortcoming for environmental policies, she decided too do something and was elected to our municipal government and joined  the North Vancouver Council.
It was now a few days away from the exhibition and she was nice enough to try and schedule me into her day. My good friend Marshall and I ventured down to the cove to meet up with her. The interview was short and helpful. I learned lots about the use of mics and pairing, videos and audio together. After the interview she went straight back to her usual self and began picking dirty cigarette buts off the ground (obviously we helped).
After, conducting the interview I began creating and editing the video. This took me quite a while but was pretty helpful to refine my editing skills. I decided to accompany my video, I would have a survey to support and collect knowledge from the audience.
Heres the final product:
https://youtu.be/J4IDkZZ2__g
POST-EXHIBITION
After, the long awaited exhibition was over, it was time to party and complete some reflective writing (what your reading). Overall the exhibition itself went pretty well, maybe next time the boys could’ve been a little less lighthearted and more serious… I felt like in general this unit, trip, and project, have been extremely fun, difficult, and to be serious… life changing.

the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

As the traditions of TPOLS begins it marks the end of the year and spawns an unsettling feeling. The first two years of high school have residually left me with little, faint memories at most. I feel this year, grade 10, will have left me with the gift of unforgettable lessons, experiences, and habits. Am I ready for grade 11? Hell Yea! 

I would confidently say that I am a student with many strengths, yet like a majority of people I have many more weaknesses. Throughout the year I have formed a new work habit trying to take responsibility for my growth. This goal has been to expose my weaknesses and turn them Into strengths. I believe that the way most people develop their projects is fundamentally wrong, and I feel as though they are prioritizing short term gains (sometimes a better product) then life long learning and versatility. One of my weaknesses is editing and post-production. I believe this is a flaw because for a vast majority of the time during group projects I do not come out of my comfort zone and try the things I struggle with the most. I find that my peers enforce who is capable at certain aspects so we end up sticking with our strengths instead of developing our weaknesses. One project that exemplifies this habit was my Peoples Podcast. During this project I took a heavy portion of work and was also able to work on my weaknesses, like post-production. I was introduced to a lot of new skills in Garageband and Imovie that would later translate to my other projects

Minorities In Canada | A PLP Unit

What makes success so sweet is failure, If we won everyday it would become bland. I am someone who carries through epic failures every year, this years epic fail is…(drum role please)… How to Change the World in Seattle. For this project failure is an understatement, I became complacent and followed through on the exact ways to fail a group project. A strong indication of failure is that I cannot pin point what I did during the project or even the message we strove to convey. The act of failure to me is not necessary a good outcome, yet it is a chance to learn and reflect on how you got their. I believe this failure started early on in this project when I was hesitant to begin, and not balancing work flow, the trip, and life. I was complacent and uninspired, therefor I should have reverted back to the main idea and gained inspiration. This was the polar opposite of another project I created later in the year.

The Journey To Discover Crazy

I’m sure each and every student has come in here and preached to you a life of time blocking, balance, organization, and perfection. Sadly, I can not promise you all those things. Today I stand before you naked, for this TPOLS meeting I am sticking to authenticity, I am a open book! During this year I have truthfully been quite balanced in my day to day life juggling the ordinary, basketball, school, family (I am quite the juggler). Now without examples my word wouldn’t mean much. I feel as though a few projects best exemplify this, Circle BC Podcast, Renewable Energy Unit, Pecha Kucha, and PGP workbooks. If I had to focus on one it would be the Circle BC Podcast. This is not the conventional project, this project was done throughout the extent of our BC trip. This made it a challenge to balance a conducive workflow and still experience the trip. On the trip many people had to be relied in and sometimes iPad and mic less, so to actually experience what was going on. Yet I was different, everyday I gathered an appropriate amount of footage and evidence, quickly molding and forming my project.

I look to the future and I see a better man then I am today. I strive to continue my growth as a human, student, basketball player, brother, son, and everything else. I will apply what I have learnt this year in PGP and experiences to continuously mold better and better habits. It may not always look like it from the exterior, but I take my growth and life very seriously. Thank you for listening and I encourage questions!

E

A Brighter Future

Energy is what makes the world go round! During this project we were tasked to create a generator that could capture clean renewable energy from nature.

This project was very cool because it gave my peers and I more knowledge about a very relevant topic for everyone. My partner (Alivia) and I really worked hard to create an awesome project:

1. Contribute to finding solutions to problems at a local and/or global level through inquiry.

During this project, my group member and I focused on the capture of renewable energy from nature to power our generators. This is very relevant because of all the issues our world is facing with global warming. Learning about how to build a generator that uses clean renewable energy can help us in the future.

2. Construct, analyze, and interpret graphs (including interpolation and extrapolation), models, and/or diagrams.

During the extent of this project we had to graph the rate of energy production of our generators against a solar panel. During our prior project, linear equations, we learned quite a bit about graphing. I was actually quite surprised to how our generator matched up against the solar panel, it was really impressive. It would take about 72,000 days for our generator to be the same price as regular energy.

3. Make observations aimed at identifying their own questions, including increasingly complex ones, about the natural world.

At the beginning, we had to figure how exactly we were going to capture energy from nature. We had to look at our natural environment, and see what we could create. As Vancouver is permanently rainy, and there are a ton of   streams close to the school, my group decided to create a water powered generator(water wheel). Water and streams is something you can almost always rely on, unlike wind (some groups found this out the hard way). 

4. Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

Our world is being corrupted by the global warming, and it seems as though our future is not so bright. Although there are many types of renewable energy sources, our world uses a lot of fossil fuels. Because our project relates to a relevant topic affecting everyone it makes it realistic and personal. This project was not only interesting but also was based of problem, knowing how energy can and is produced can help our generation in the future.

Unit Mind-Map:

A Lifestyle Change | A PGP Post

At this point I have done a couple posts on PGP, so I’m sure your familiar.  It’s June, and my peers and I are at the bare end of the school year, and ready to begin a new chapter of our lives. In this class, we have covered ground, everything from goal setting (What do you really want?), 7 habits, and productivity. During the extent of PGP I have fully revamped my lifestyle, and state of mind. I have turned into an independent 15 year old that wields the power of PGP to work on myself and mold a stable and structured life.

My sis helping me with my project!

During this year I have learned so much, to the extent where I had trouble remembering the most important bits. For this project, Time Machine, my peers and I where tasked to create a summative artifact that would display the sheer amount of learning from this course. Our teachers said it should spawn an understating of the importance of the course to the past you.

Here it is…

For this course, PGP we were challenged to read two books, What Do You Really Want?, and 7 Habits of the Highly Efficient Teen. These books were incredibly insightful and interesting, they were light, had activities in between it all, and most importantly they exemplified what a teen life looks like and gave example accordingly, that made it personal to my peers and I. Because of my interest in the topic and because it is about ME, I did not see it as ‘homework’. Both books taught me a lot, yet I found that, What Do You Really Want? empowered me the most.

As you can see from my video, I highlighted my 3 steps to achieving my short and long term goals. When creating a goal I put first thing first then transition into being productive to complete x goals. Here are two examples of using this process and integrating it into my life.

EXAMPLE A

In January, I set a goal to make my select/club basketball team and become more confident on the court, to heighten my PPG. To do this I knew what one of my priorities in life are at the time, Basketball. Therefor I set a goal that connected with my passions, my first thing. Afterwards I worked consistently day by day, to work on the technical side of my shot and forced myself to become more confident when I play. When I went to the gym and worked with my team I did not only work hard but smart, therefor being productive when I play. So far I am close to half way done with the season and am excelling, I still have far to go but I am happy with my use of setting goals and becoming better.

EXAMPLE B

During this year and after this course I have focused on becoming stronger and more comfortable in math, putting the grades aside. Before setting this goal with myself I thought about who I want to be (using the three step method). To do this I have been working after school independently and with my tutors. When I have scheduled time to work on my math I set up a space that works for me and helps me concentrate. Currently I am feeling more comfortable in the classroom, but I realize that I still am not even close to where I would like to be.

PUT FIRST THINGS FIRST

Put first things first… What you do with your day attributes to what you will become in life. Find what you love to do, your number one priority, is it your wellbeing, basketball, school, family? Instead of consuming your day with YouTube and games, you should be cultivating a healthier relationship with your family members or be in the gym trying to become the best you. Because at at many times there is a disconnect between what you want to do and what you do. What contributes to my well being is success and being exceptional at what I love, therefor I allocate my time appropriately.

GOALS

The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the court and never score. When setting a goal think, what do I really want? Put first things first. The reasoning behind a goal is the manifestation of the completion. The reasoning must be there, or else it will not be compelling enough to complete. I found that when I did not right down my goals they where just daydreams. It is as little as keeping a journal and writing it down, and reflecting on the progress. 

PRODUCTIVITY

The easiest way to finish a task is to get started! Procrastination is stealing from your own future. The failure to act; in itself is a result of ones complacency in the moment. To achieve your most insurmountable goals you must be productive day by day to conquer. 

Overall this course, PGP has helped me this year with becoming who I am today, and I will continue to wield it for life long happiness and learning. It has helped me become a better me and has aided the achievement of short and long term goals. Everything I’ve learned will help me achieve my goals, get into university and hopefully start a successful career.  With all this in mind I would like to work towards switching my approach on my life. Hopefully this experience, reflection and my artifact will continue to help my life for the better.

Better Safe than Sorry

Every working day, 34 young workers are injured. Workers of all ages can be injured at work, yet young and new workers are more at risk. These workplace injuries result from inadequate training, orientation, and supervision, inexperience, and lack of awareness of workplace rights and responsibilities. As you can see, young workers can be incredibly vulnerable in the workplace, this is why in CLE (Career Life Education) we have further investigated our rights as young workers. 

Young people like myself are at high risks to get injured during work, this is because at many time people are fearful of speaking up and taking control of your safety. This is completely understandable because many times a new or young worker is wary of speaking up because of lack of confidence, starting a new job. As young people in BC we must have confidence in uncomfortable times. Because at the end of the day, as young workers we have the right to refuse unsafe work and demand training. 

WorkSafeBC has a incredibly lengthy list rules that relates to safety in workplaces. During class, we looked at the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation that highlights all the logistics of what is and isn’t allowed in the workplaces. To aid our understanding towards the rules and rights we completed a worksheet, where we searched regulations on the WorkSafeBC website. During this assignment I learned many new interesting tidbits from noise level to footwear. This mini-assignment was very helpful and hopefully helped us revisit the rights and terminology for our coming test. 

Lastly, my peers and I looked at the many different scary hazards in the workplace. Because of the multitude of different hazards we broke them up into these large topics, Biological Hazards, Environmental Exposure, Exposure to Mineral and Chemical Hazards, Musculoskeletal Injuries, and Noise Hazards. The class split up into 5 separate groups, my group included Emily, Adlih, and I. My group focused on a very common workplace hazard, Musculoskeletal Injuries. Musculoskeletal Injuries are a range of disorders involving muscles, bones, tendons, blood vessels, nerves and other soft tissues. The most common term used to describe these disorders is Repetitive Strain Injury. After, doing some inquiry on the topic we created a one slide visual on Keynote that we presented to the class. This ended up being very helpful and informative, yet as everything that relates to bodily fluids, it got weird. 

In general, I learned much more than I ever expected I in this unit. This unit helped me  open my eyes to what my rights are as a young worker in BC. Charging in to the future I will have the confidence and ability to stand up when I feel as though work is unsafe. Yet it is a lot to remember and retain, I have learned quite a bit throughout this unit. Wish me luck for my test tomorrow!

The Future is on the Horizon

No matter what age you are, in your youth you will always be asked the same generic question, “What are you going to be when you grow up?”. Needless to say this questions get incredibly repetitive. Yet in my old age (grade 10) it is becoming more apparent that this is something I will need to come to terms with. In Maker, we have been turning the corner into a new unit, career life. During the beginning of this unit we have been assigned, in the MyBlueprint app to tackle this exact question. MyBlueprint is a Canadian career and life planning resource that is designed to help prepare and organize youth and young adults future.

In MyBlueprint there are multiple courses that you can take, one of them being, Who am I? In this course we took 5 different “tests”, Motivations, Learning Styles, Personality, Knowledge, Interests. During these tests I learned a few things about myself, but I did not find it to be a very truthful representative. During the tests and based of the results I found it was a product that represented who I would like to become and be. I believe I produced these results because when answering I unconsciously wrote answers that were a representation of what I wish I was. 

Here is the results: 

After, taking the tests it was time to reflect, as the good PLP students we are. This reflection came in the form of a presentation that used our skills in Keynote. This presentation was deceptively challenging. Whether it was because I was ill prepared or over confident, I felt like I didn’t do amazing. Maybe I am being tough on myself, but I certainly could work on my presentation skills. 

The next step in this assignment was really helpful; I went to a section of MyBlueprint that aided me in planning out my next 2 years, and my current one. This was really helpful because most post-Secondary options require certain courses that could be restricted if I do not take a particular course. During this section of MyBlueprint I had to really make some quick decisions about what courses I will take for grade 12. This was difficult because I realized how quickly everything is coming to a close, and how grade 12 is coming to soon. 

The most important and interesting part for me in this entire assignment was looking at the jobs, delving into the requirements and benefits of jobs I’m interested in. I took the results of the test and found, Post-Secondary, Workplace, Apprenticeship, and Career options. During this journey of jobs. I came across a gem: Sports Medicine Doctor. This job is incredibly interesting because it relates to my interest, skillset, and motivation. I have heard a lot about sports medicine and tonight it really caught my eye.

After, I finished looking for Post-Secondary, Workplace, Apprenticeship, and Career options, I had one last tasks. This task was to graph/spreadsheet career paths that interest me. This was interesting because it gave me another introduction to Numbers and it rewarded me with the opportunity to write down important and cool notes about my future and jobs of interest. 

Overall this assignment was incredibly engaging, even though I believe many of my results where not great evidence of who I am, I still learnt a ton about my options and future. The future is on the horizon and this project has made it apparent. 

Minorities In Canada | A PLP Unit

There are three certainties in life, death, taxes, and change. Thankfully we are globally changing and evolving in our acceptance for minorities. Recently in class we worked on a unit aimed to create awareness and discussion towards the experiences for minorities in Canada.

The Beginning of the End

To begin this project we watched a fast paced ad that spoke to the ideas and freedoms that came with being Canadian. After, we stormed the white board and spoke about if this “Canadian experience” is different for minorities. During this assignment I had the realization of how many parts of the Canadian experience is not afforded to Minorities. Whether I knew it or not this assignment would will me to put my best foot forward during this project and really empower me to learn more. 

Wayson Choy’s Jade Peony

During the long windy road to success with our podcast; we where also reading a book, Jade Peony. Jade Peony is a intergenerational story about a immigrant Chinese family (a minority) living in Chinatown during and around WWII. Jade Peony was written by Wayson Choy who wrote the book through the perspectives of the children in the family who embark through life in Chinatown. This book was incredible because it was well written, and it gave us further knowledge about the experiences of minorities in Canada, past and present. 

Vancouvers China Town

Our class, the grade 10 PLP cohort ventured on a brief field study to Vancouver China Town. By no coincidence this is where Jade Peony (the book) took place. This day was extremely fun not only because of the mass amounts of dumplings I ate, but also to discover more about the areas history. Whilst we were there, the class created a mini-podcast called “The Sounds of Chinatown”. For this project we where assigned to create a podcast on our day and to be literal, the sounds of China Town. This day helped me take in the culture of China Town and realize the importance of understanding what these people went through. 

LITerature 

During this unit we did a heck of a lot of writing; to make it even better we wrote about ourselves. Writing about yourself can be difficult, you battle with the idea of being snobby, to humble, or overconfident. In this unit we specifically wrote about our positions. Someone’s position, is a point of view given to them by demographic or experiences, something that gives them a perspective specific to them. During the span of month or so we wrote many different positional papers. These papers not only helped me become a better writer but also helped me reflect on myself. 

The Big Kahuna 

Don’t sweat it, there was a point to all this writing. After quite a bit of sharpening up our writing, we where ready to tackle the big kahuna! We where assigned to write an essay on “how do our positions affect our literature”. Thankfully, my peers and I had some prior experience because of our essay writing last year. Before hurling ourselves into a whirlwind of essay we got organized and planned out a outline. This outline was vital to organizing our attack and knowing what to write. For this essay we where to use personal positions, and also to connect with other assignments, positions from the book (Jade Peony). 

In general the essay ended up good. If I reflect back I would have really prepared myself further because I exposed one of my many weaknesses, writing quickly. I was gifted a extra hour to finish yet I still was disappointed my peers finished much quicker than I did. Very much like the blog post I am writing, I pick my words carefully and never find a flow.

The Big Assignment 

The main part of this unit was a group endeavour that took a while, my group consisted of Jessie, Alivia, and Tamara (Ms. Maxwell assembled the dream team). My groups “minority” was the LGBTQ+ community, an invisible minority. This is a very important detail, a invisible minority is someone that does not appear to be anything out of the “norm”. Examples would be, Chronic Pain, LGBTQ+, and religious beliefs such as Sikhism. The assignment for this project was to create a group podcast that shined a light on a minority group and include the voices of  knowledgeable interviewees. 

You may be wondering, There’s a ton of different minority groups, why LGBTQ+? Well I believe that the time are changing and people want to find inclusiveness in Canada. I felt as though it would be interesting to look at minority group that only a border away there are states that prohibit gay marriages. To find out more about what it is like around the globe for LGBTQ+ people we spoke to the amazing Yvette Narlock who is a badass Seycove Councillor and has been proudly in the LGBTQ+ community for most of her adult life. For our podcast Yvette was our interviewee and was truly amazing. My group members and I where in a deep conversation with her for close to an hour, that brought someone who once knew little about the LGBTQ+ community in Canada, to a knowledgeable ally. 

For this project, once we had the interview and wrote out a outline/script, it was smooth sailing. During the post-production I had the opportunity to work on flaws of mine, such as editing and creating music. Being able to work on a flaw for a project is pretty darn awesome and really helped to advance my skills. For the music and editing I did it all in Garageband. Something technical I also learnt was that audio all needs to be recorded by the same device, and it must be working. For the interview audio it was extremely quiet and could have been more proportionate to the rest. 

Overall in this unit I was blessed to have amazing group members, assignments, and interviewees. During the extent of this unit I was extremely pleased with my learning, I felt like I worked on my writing, interview skills, knowledge of minorities, post-production, inquiry skills, and team work. This unit was a blast, I feel as though it was my favourite of the year.

Cell Systems

I’m back and ready to go! Spring break was a ball, now where back on the saddle after  our first Scimatics project of term 3. Our latest project in math class was similar to the previous, we had to graph phone plans linearly to find out which plan would be better (quite like the Flow Like Water project). We used data overages as our measurement and used our knowledge of algebra to find the slope of those equations. The outcomes and opinions from this project where also pretty subjective because of the dependence on the buyers lifestyle.

For this project, my partner (Jessie) and I worked together to compare the prices of data planes for Telus, Rogers, and Freedom. We measured these plans in particular because Telus and Rogers have the same overage prices and would result in no solution.

Reasoning and Modelling

Our keynote included graphs and visual that where extremely informative and displayed  our linear equations and what each plan could offer. My partner and I included solving algebraically as it is a method we learned in class. Solving algebraically is quicker than solving with a table of values.

Understanding and Solving

During the project we explained the slope and y-intercept well, this was present during our project, going back to the feedback we could have zoomed in more.

Communicating and Representing

While we where displaying the project we communicated and represented the plans and what would be best for people’s different lifestyles.

Connecting and Reflecting

During the extent of the project we could have done a better job on this competency by displaying the potential savings of each data plan. My partner and I did do a good job of showing which plan would be better for different people. For example, if you are going to use over 500mb of data than Rogers probably is to little of a plan for you, and Freedom would be a smarter choice.

Overall this project was a great way to sharpen up our algebra and linear equation skills and was super cool! I look forward to taking on another challenge in Scimatics 10!

DI Regionals 2019 | A Performance for the History Books

For the third and likely final time, my grade 10 cohort and I where split into three groups to participate in the greatest competition of our academic career. If you aren’t picking up what i’m putting down, if you don’t smell what I stepped in, I am taking about DI. If you don’t know much about DI or anything at all, it is a international academic competition that challenges kids to create a solution for any sort of challenge. In DI there is 6 main challenges, Technical, Fine Arts, Scientific, Improv, Service Learning, and Engineering. 

For this year’s DI tournament we where in the senior level, arguably the least competitive yet in my opinion the most challenging. We began our DI path to greatness by somewhat randomly creating groups out of the 17 or so student in my class. I was blessed right of the bat with a spectacular group that for all things considered jived pretty well. My group was, Jessie Bullen, Marshall Archibald, Luca OG, Adlih Britton, and last but certainly not least Lucas “Aloe Plug” Koop. The next step was to pick each groups challenge, for this we where given 15 minutes to devise a strong argument for why we should be given the challenge of our choice. My group as well as the rest decided we want to take on the technical challenge. Because everyone wanted to participate in that particular challenge we opted out and chose Fine Arts crudely known as Farts. This ended up being a blessing because our group ended up working well in fine arts because many of our group members where artistically inclined (not myself). 

Once my group was set up and ready to go we wasted no time jumping in to the process of creating a solution. The 2019 Fine Arts challenge revolves around games (how radical is that) so we chose to work around the eternally popular Game of Life. We chose the game of life because we wanted our performance to speak to the barriers and lack of choices in the game. Jessie Bullen, who took a leadership role and a heavy work load began working on the script right away. I would love nothing more then to act up and say how much of a fuss DI was but honestly once we found a direction and a suitable script it was virtually smooth sailing from there. 

A big plus for DI this year was the independent reflections every month or so. These reflections included multiple questions about the ups and downs of DI and a pie chart of the work balance throughout the group. In this reflection I learnt a lot about myself and what kind of partner I would like to be during a project. This reflection did not only helped the teachers understand our group dynamic but also helped myself reflect.

Fast-forward to the day of DI, where my group and I where ready to put on a show. We had been working hard and where ready to present our presentation. As a decorated veteran for DI I was not working up a sweat, because for us regionals is virtually just practice for provincials. One flaw in our group I was worried about was our lack of preparation to present, we had not practiced run throughs therefor we could have been further prepared to present. Sadly, even though we had used all our class time to the best of our abilities we still did not find the time to crank out some run throughs, that is something I regret. During every DI competition one person is given the privilege to read out the DI pledge to the mass of students and adults. This year I was afforded that very opportunity to read out the pledge at my home court by Ms. Willemse, I was pretty stoked! 

After the early morning set up and run throughs, my group felt pretty confident and ready to strike. Yet, it was time for something just as important as the main event, the instant challenge. This instant challenge surprised me because of its difficultly and also because of the confidence that we went in with. This was the hardest challenge I had faced, and my scores represent that well. After what felt like a defeat, my group and I where ready to whip the floor with our competition for the main event. Again we came with confidence in our abilities yet this time reaped reward. My group members and I came out feeling really good about the performance and where excited to see what the judges thought. Sadly, we felt after receiving  our scores that we where not given the high scores we felt we personally deserved. In the end we ended being rewarded a second place ribbon for my age group.

In conclusion I thought my group and I worked very hard to create something we could be proud of and had fun all the while. DI regionals was a blast and I am still excited about my pledge. Thankfully, regionals is not the end of the road for us, soon we will be heading to provincials to show how we have improved. Improvement is the biggest thing we where given lots of critic and we are already improving our presentation to blow the judges out of the water! Provincials here we come!!