MPOLS

It’s January, and almost the end of Semester 1. What does that mean? MPOLs (Mid year Presentations Of Learning), where I explain my progression as a learner. I’ve been in PLP for about four months. Thoughout this time I believe I have grown as a learner, and I believe that I will continue to grow as a learner.

Each of our projects had challenges that I had to overcome, that ultimately helped me learn more. One of the things that I’ve learned a lot about is what I need to do to grow as a learner. A big part of this is organization of my work and projects, because there are so many. All of our work is spread out between many applications, so I need to figure out how to keep track of it all.

Of the many projects we did in Maker and Humanities, I found our Star Wars projects to be the most challenging. This project was more in-depth than most others I’d done before.

My Star Wars project at exhibition

The exhibition was a completely new experience for me. Planning the exhibition was very complicated, and went beyond anything I’d done with projects before. I wasn’t used to planning food, refreshments, and decorating the room. My individual project was also very complicated, but in the end, it became very interesting. You can learn about it here.

Something I had trouble with in Scimatics was the Door is a Bore No More project. The project involved cutting out 3D shapes to increase the door’s area by 5 times.

The completed door

We were in groups of 4 for this project. We ran into difficulties in many of our calculations, often having to completely change our shapes when we discovered errors. One of these errors was accidentally increasing the door’s area by 5 and a half times.  Here is the post about it. 

We’ve done a lot of projects this year. Some were super fun and exciting, while some…. weren’t.

To start off on a good note, we had a really interesting unit in Humanities about religions and worldview. This project started with the creation of a video about our worldview, then progressed to learning about the worldviews of different religions (including visiting their places of worship), and finally to creating an infographic about the worldview of one of those religions.

Our first infographic draft

Our final infographic draft

It was complicated, but really cool, and taught me a lot of stuff I wanted to know. All of that stuff can be found here.

However, there were a couple of projects that left something to be desired. One of these was our Growth Mindset unit in Maker, which was full of information, but mostly seemed to contain the same information over and over. This repetition helped drill it into our brains, but it wasn’t that interesting to me. My work on it can be found here.

PLP projects are very different than other projects, which is evident in our first Humanities project, the Advertising Unit. In this unit, we had to create ads for companies in both Deep Cove and Oregon.

My first draft of my Deep Cove Business ad

My final draft of my Deep Cove business ad

My first draft of my Oregon business ad

My final draft of my Oregon business ad

It taught us a lot about design, and I grew skills in applying visual techniques, such as the Ogilvy formula. The Ogilvy formula is the order that a consumer will look at an ad; the order is photo-caption-headline-text-logo. You can see how much those skills and visual techniques have developed and helped me here.

Another project that shows how unique PLP is is our latest Humanities Project, A Stitch in Time. This project is about medieval times and hero myths. At the end of this project, we will be creating quilts to show off our own hero myth. This is a very unique way to present.

Overall, I think in every project, I improved and learned valuable skills that will help me improve my work throughout the rest of the year.