Star Wars blue sky project

A couple of weeks ago our class watched the new Star Wars….. The Force Awakens, which fit in perfectly with our blue Sky Star Wars projects. Each person had to answer a driving question that related to Star Wars. My question was “can I make a replica dress just like in the movies?” In the end I chose one of Padames outfits because of her wide variety of costumes. Here’s a picture of Padames AKA Princess Amidala’s lake dress:

image

Also here’s my Star Wars pitch form that we had to hand in:

imageimage

Usually to make a outfit by hand you would need a pattern (which is basically like tissue paper) to trace but in this case I didn’t have any, so I had to carefully look at the pictures from the movie and make sketches and meseurements to make the dress. Once everything was put together I had to dye it. For this I just picked up some RIT dye from Michaels which you seperate into two bowls with half water. Then you fold the fabric and put each end into the bowls then I slowly moved each bowl together and in the end it created a ombre effect.

After my project was finished I was thinking about what I could put it on then I found a duct tape mannequinn idea, which was perfect the first step that I did was I found an  old shirt, put it on and started duct taping until it was all covered then I cut a slip up the back of the shirt, stuffed it, and tightly wrapped it with fabric to finish it off.

Finally on the presentation date we were put into groups by what subject we were doing, then we were given planets for our groups which we were suppose to decorate the room according to the theme of the planet so our group got Dagoubah and we decorated it all green and we had yoda soda and yoda sugar cookies!

Heres a picture of Dagouhbah:

image

In the end of the project I was happy with the dress. But to answer my question I don’t really think making a costume at home is the same as making one for a movie, because of how much more things you have access to making it a faster process.

Here’s the final product:

image