Helmut’s seen war, but he’s never seen anything like PLP

A German man named Helmut Lemke came into our class a few days ago, he brought so much knowledge along with many experiences he was keen to share. Helmut was a German solider during WWII and a held under Russian, American and English occupation after the war. He experienced the front lines of battle and the extreme difficulty of crossing the country when it was under lock and key after the war. Helmut talked about what it was like for him on the German side, his first had experience was unlike any other source of information I had ever experienced. I have read quotes and diaries of WWII soldiers but none of them were Germans and none of them were right in front of me.

Tasked by Willemse and Hughes we were assigned a new style of blog work that was very different and in my opinion hard to follow. We were given a week and a day or two to turn a concept we took from Helmuts visit into and example then to a question, which then developed into research and finally would turn into an answer. What I found a challenge was grasping the task and understanding the full process that we were assigned to undertake.

The concept I took from Hemlut’s visit was his concept of time. Helmut seemed to experience time in differs frames and speeds. When he spoke about battles he remembered everything, he could explain everything and in the way he spoke it felt like the battles were in slow motion. It seemed like every action and every minuet detail was profound and important. He would speak for a ten minutes and a single minute would have gone by on the battle field. And when Helmut spoke of the times he wasn’t in battle or distressing times, time seemed to go by fast. He would speak for ten minutes a few weeks would have gone by in reality. I was interested by this and wanted to know more about wether the concept of time ‘slowing down’ in crisis is a real thing. With all this time, thinking about time I also wanted to question wether his time on the front lines of battle were embellished in anyway.

Now to learn what science says about wether time actually slows down, or not. The topic is very argued and debated among the ‘science’ community. It goes against all laws of physics and time to believe that time really dilates and the select person sees time in a slowed state. It was stated that ”the entire world would be experienced in slow motion, because someone somewhere is always in some form of crisis’ but people still believe it happens. To avoid this clash with indisputable laws of physics a scientist Named Eagleman wrote “What is actually happening, …. is as a result of your memory. According to the study, the part of the brain called the amygdala becomes more active, and lays down extra sets of memories that go along with the actual events. ” “In this way, frightening events are associated with richer and denser memories,” Eagleman explained. This is the scientific explanation but when reading the comments of certain posts on physics boards, I can still see that people believe when they experienced times of crisis time slows around them.

Attached is a link to an article about wether time really does slow down during times of crisis.

Christopher and I put together a small podcast where we asked each other questions in a conversation style discussion. We presented each other with two variants of questions that stemmed from our own individual concepts that interested us personally. I liked this conversation that didn’t have any script just a few notes to help us actually say intellectual stuff. It helped bring out the honest and pure opinions, because we had to respond quickly and be smart about what we each say