The Metaphor Machine Midway Blog Post

We were given a task. That task was to create a machine that would explain three things. One was Crane Briton’s theory of revolution. here is my blog post about Crane Briton’s  theory of revolution. Another was to show a revolution you where given (my group was given the American revolution). The third one was to show the key points of the revolution in your machine. The machine is a metaphor that represents the revolution and change and it will have simple circuits.  By end of this project I think that the machine that my group builds is going to show all of those things.

After my team researched about the American Revolution, the major events were put on a timeline. A major event that stood out for us was the Boston Tea Party. The American colonists poured the tea into the harbour because they were sick of the taxes. I thought it was interesting when the British navy moved up to Halifax so it touched on what is now Canada. Below is the timeline:

img_1570

Here is a link to some more information on the American Revolution

Making the machine would be very hard if you or some people in your group didn’t have the right tools or the right experience. It took a lot of sawing and drilling and screwing things. We used wood glue to hold the wood pieces together and we used screws to put everything onto the base of the machine.

img_1637

We made sure share the work evenly throughout the group. My role in the group was to build the machine (sawing, drilling, putting things onto the machine). I was also assigned to help make the circuit work to pull the marble up.

img_1626

In our machine metaphor, the teapot that is tipping over represents the colonists’ anger boiling over when they throw out the tea into the ocean.  There is a boat that moves down that represents the boat going to Halifax.  We are going to add a couple more.  We are making good progress on our project.

Here is a time lapse of our team working on the project: