Transitional Presentation Of Learning

Hello there parents and teachers.   My name is Spencer Laube but you probably already know that. Today I will be showing you my learning over the year,  what I have enjoyed and hope you enjoy hearing about.  Basically, I’m going to explain why I feel I am ready to advance to grade 10.

There are 194 days in a school year for the average teen and I tried to make the best of all of those 194 days. I will be reflecting on 4 subjects over these 194 days. Lets start with Humanities. Humanities is a mix of Socials and English. So in Humanities I would have to say that one of my favourite projects this year  would have to be What Draws Us To Imaginary Worlds.

Matterhorn

I researched the topic and used a Disney ride called the Matterhorn as an example.  I then made a video to explain it.  I had a lot of fun doing this project because I love to make and edit movies.  I improved my planning, research and writing skills because I had to research the content and then write the script to be in line with the photos and video.  There are so many historical facts about this ride such as when it was made and why. I think this project showed the quality of my work and my work ethic.  My first draft was on time and I kept revising it to make it the best quality possible.  Now I have a better understanding of why imaginary worlds are so popular.   Feel free to go watch my video down below.

So that was the Humanities portion of this blog post and now we are going to move on to the Scimatics. Scimitacs is a mix of two classes, science and math. I will talk about the cell city project for science first and then the math monster project for math.

Cell city

The cell city was a project where you would create a city that would parts that would represent functions of a cell. So for example the nucleus of the cell (the brains) would be the mayors office and the city limits was the cell wall and the warehouse was the vacuole.  Since we can’t usually see cells, this helped me understand how a cell is structured and how it functions. I could visualize it better when I compared it to a city.

Overall I had a interesting time making this project because I thought that it was a hard one with all of the planning we had to do to lay it out and then a whole pile of colouring.  This took me a solid day to do and I am proud of this project because of the mark of 90% that got on it.  I think it is an example of my work ethic and quality of work.

Now let’s move on to math. I’d like to talk about the Math Monster project and the Game of Life.

Math Monster

w

The math monster was also part of the Frankenstuffie project.  We could make a monster out of any kind of material. I ended up using lego to make this monster. This tied into math because after we made this monster we had to take measurements to figure out the area and perimeter of it. The math monster fits into Frankinstuffie project because the math monster had to play the bad guy or the antagonist in the story. Overall I had a great time making this character in my franked stuffy story. I liked this project a lot because it blended math and humanities which is one of the hardest subjects to blend.

Honourable mention should also go to the Game of Life.  I really enjoyed working out the budgets based on my job and adjusting my plan based on the surprise updates in life.  I learned to get a good education with a well-paid job, make good decisions and save for the unexpected.

Next is Maker time and the exciting Blue Sky project.

Blue Sky

Blue Sky is one of the most coveted projects of the year and I really had fun working on this year’s project.   So year, I was not alone since I partnered with Adam. This time Adam and I built a desk to help students focus on their homework and be more productive.  We researched all about different ways that help kids focus on the work at hand. For example things that help students focus is to have music playing (built in stereo and speakers), water and food (fridge), clean air (plant), timer to set short deadlines, good light (spot and diffused LED, foot bands on the chair and a standing section.   I think I showed teamwork skills and a good work ethic because we both cooperated and worked hard and worked well together.  We took responsibility for finishing the project ahead of time and made a great quality product.  

So on June 15 we plp had our big exhibition night.  Adam and I brought in our desk with its focus and productivity tools and we made sure there were labels and explanations for them.  The only thing I would do differently is that we thought the desk would fit into our van to bring it to the school but it didn’t quite fit so we had to be walked down almost a km.  We were part of the teen group at the exhibition. The night went smooth and Adam and I shared the talking and explaining everyone. Overall I had a great time at the plp exhibition night and I am looking forward to the one next year.

Overall through these last 194 days, I have learned about a lot of subjects like history, science and math. My knowledge of these topics has grown and I have grown in my reading and writing and math skills.  For areas of improvement, I think that would have to be my proofreading and attention to detail when I do things fast, especially longer writing.  I have also learned a lot about my self by doing interesting projects like People at My Table (example Branson, Einstein, Jobs) and I am what I eat.

I do think I have a good attitude and work ethic.  I did all my assignments even if it took me a long time. I was happy to do revisions if something needed improving that I didn’t realize.   Even though something may be hard, I want to do a good job.  I like school and the people at school and that makes learning more fun.   Another example of my good work ethic is my blogs. I have tried to keep up with all of my blogs and i really enjoy doing them. Here is a quote related to my blog from last week. “Spencer is the most on top of his blogs in plp 9” Mr Hughes.  I was really proud to hear that and it’s a good example to show how I’m ready for Grade 10.