TPOL 2017

Welcome back to the last blog post to ever be put on this page. That’s sad to think about, isn’t it…

As always, in PLP we’re ending off the year with our tPols. If you’re confused about what a tPol is, it’s really just another SLC but they changed the name… nothing too drastic. We basically have to create a presentation about why we think we’ve shown work habits and skills to move onto grade 10 next year.

For my tPol, I created a Google Slides presentation to display my thoughts as I talked. I reflected on all my classes in PLP this year, how I’ve grown since the beginning of the year, and a few other topics included in the question portion of the form.

For humanities, the work that reflects my growth is the Frankenstuffies epistolary story. I spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into this story and used all the necessary elements in geography, ecology and also writing techniques to make it as good and interesting as I could.

For Maker Time, I thought Destination Imagination regionals showed my growth in learning how to work super well with a group. My whole group was organized, we worked well together and it showed how my group collaboration skills have grown since September.

In SciMathics, I don’t have a specific project that I did that shows my growth, but I think my marks on tests show it. I began studying and making in depth notes about science and math topics to understand the topics further.

Some of the work habits I’ve developed and shown are

1. Work effort and ethic in projects such as Mini Blue Sky
  2. Work habits such as studying every night in Scimathics
  3. Improvement in math skills and taking responsibility to get extra help with topics I don’t understand

Some more in depth examples I have prepared reflect these four topics: revision, teamwork, responsibility and high quality work.

Revision:

I think my Making Fantasy Real video shows lots of revision. It started off very poor, but with every critique it improved a lot and eventually it was work that I was proud of. I didn’t back down for critiquing opportunities and it helped my project become better and better.

Teamwork:

Destination Imagination showed my teamwork skills because I worked super well with my classmates and I opened my mind to any ideas and suggestions they had for our project.

Responsibility:

In scimathics, specifically math, I showed responsibility because I took charge in my own learning and success and received further help in topics that I didn’t understand. I began studying more and asked lots of questions which improved my skills. I also did practice by myself on websites such as ixl.

High Quality Work:

I think my Frankenstuffies project is an example of high quality PLP work. I spent a lot of time practicing my Explain Everything skills and that showed through my animation and techniques in the video. I put a lot of effort into it and I’m proud of how it turned out.

Now, for the two mini assignments that I’m most proud of — the CPR and confederation speeches. Even though these were very mini assignments, I’m proud of the skills I showed in them. I practiced my persuasive and debating skills, presented alone in front of my whole class and I think they were both really strong.

One thing I learned about myself this year is that I need to push myself in school but I need to accept that not everythingI do is going to be perfect. I stopped setting unrealistic goals for myself this term and began setting more reachable ones and it helped me with my school stress and made me produce work that I was proud of.

Lastly, one goal I’ve set for myself. As my teachers know, I am moving to a much different school environment next year and there I will be living in a dorm house with about 50 other girls. One goal I’ve set is to embrace new opportunities with an open mindset. I want to join as many extra curricular activities as I can so I can be a well rounded student and person.

Thank you for reading about my tPol! Hopefully I convinced everyone that I think I deserve to move onto grade 10 next year.

Unfortunately I can’t end with my usual “until next time” because there really is no next time for this blog… maybe I’ll write again one day and update everyone on my new life.

Goodbye for now (or forever!)