What is Article 24?

This post contains a piece of learning that I have created as a part of my documentation of learning for BC First Peoples 12. 

As a class we have delved into what the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples is. Individually, we were tasked with creating a video using Puppet Pals 2 as our creative medium. This video is meant to briefly dig into one chosen clause (or, article) and explain what UNDRIP is as well as why it is significant.

Here is my video:

I think this article is very interesting. Historically, the Indigenous peoples in Canada have integrated natural medicines into their society. However, I don’t understand the state of these practices today. From my understanding, the medicinal plants that were once used for medicinal practice in indigenous communities are still in existence, but are not widely used for treatment anymore. Indigenous people would participate in the healing of emotional and physical wounds using plants and cultural practices such as Smudge ceremonies. The mental and physical health of Indigenous peoples have degraded since colonial impact, and their communities often have many members that are impacted by mental health issues and substance abuse without traditional care. Additionally, there are many cases of Indigenous people participating in colonial healthcare systems (that we currently rely on in modern society) and facing discrimination. This leads me to believe that this clause is not being honoured by the Canadian government.
This clause means that Indigenous people should have the right to practicing their own medicine and participate in modern care whitest being free from discrimination and mistreatment.
Allowing indigenous people to have these things would make a huge difference in the healing of Indigenous communities. These freedoms would allow for more safe spaces for care to take place, and work towards Reconciliation.
Currently, Indigenous health practices are not actively included in mainstream medical care. For instance, spiritual practices are not officially considered to be treatments for mental or physical health conditions. If this were to change for the better, Indigenous people would be able to have space for healing, be treated in ways that resonate with them and align with their culture, and revitalize traditional medicines and conduct contemporary research on their effects.

What is Article 24’s significance to UNDRIP and BC?

Article 24 of the UNDRIP holds significant relevance for BC and other regions with Indigenous populations because this article specifically addresses the rights of Indigenous peoples to their traditional medicines and health practices.

BC has a diverse population of Indigenous communities across the province and has been working towards Reconciliation for the past decade. However, despite its relevance, BC has yet to effectively implement and fully honor the provisions outlined in Article 24 within its systemic powers.

UNDRIP acknowledges the necessity of policies and practices that respect and protect Indigenous knowledge and healing traditions. The existence of Article 24 advocates for the inherent right of Indigenous peoples to access and practice their traditional health methods. Thus, the implementation of Article 24 is a moral imperative in the journey towards genuine Reconciliation and the protection of Indigenous rights in BC and across Canada.