Correlation and causation

Math blog post

In math 9 we have been working on a project on causation and correlation, and how we can relate this to our society today and to people around us.
Before I start this post I would like to explain what correlations, and causations are.
A correlation is when two sets of data increase or decrease at the same time, but have no other relation.
A causation is where the data in question is related and if one set goes up, then it makes the other set go up as well.

For our project Isabelle, Luca, and I created a keynote to show our learning, and studies into these topics. For our correlation project we compared gas price, to college tuition over the years.

In this chart we show how the increase of both are not related in anyway, proving that it is in fact a correlation.

For the causation part of the project, I had to ask around the class to see who had a keyboard on their iPad, and how long it takes to write a blog post.

The information in the chart above is the information that I collected when I went around asking people in the class. We put the information into a graph and I averaged it out, and it showed that people with keyboards usually take an hour less time writing a blog post!

That is my math project, and hope you liked the post

Published by