PAWS at School

Yesterday was our first PAWS R.E.A.D.ing day. We are participating in the “Reading Education Assistance Dogs” program. R.E.A.D. is a program which has been designed to help children improve their reading attitudes and skills by having them read with certified therapy pets and their handlers.

Meet Diesel. He is 8 1/2 years old, and while I was told what breed of dog he was, I have forgotten. I do know he is hypoallergenic, so those of us who are allergic to dogs can pet him too.

Diesel came to school today with Piper Chalk and met the children from Mme. Cusanelli and Mme. Hamilton’s class. He is a therapy dog, who will be working with some of our children while they work on their reading. Mme. Santarosa has worked with teachers to select some students to work with the R.E.A.D. program.

When teaching children, we sometimes try things that may not seem conventional. Reading with a dog may not seem to be something one expects, but the R.E.A.D. program has proven to be successful in other schools.  We are looking for the same successes here. I look forward to what Diesel, and other R.E.A.D. dogs, can do to help motivate our readers.

Welcome Diesel (and Piper). Thanks for being a part of our school.

Take care.