WW1 Talk – Significance to Canada

Hi readers, and welcome back to my blog. I have not posted in a while now due to the fact that I haven’t been in PLP recently and this was quite a big project. None the less, I hope you enjoy progressing through this project with me right now. Before I begin, my final video might give a sense of what I will explain in this post.

This project was called the Great War Exhibit and rightfully so because as the name suggests, we studied WW1 and it’s influence on Canada. 

There were 2 main competencies on this project. The first one being “establish historical significance” and “global  collaborator”. We worked on these competencies over this entire 6 week project. Here is what it looks like:

The key milestones in this project were the 2nd, 3rd, and the final 6th milestone. I found these were all very important and will lead you through the steps of this journey pretty well. 

In the 2nd milestone, we started looking at an artifact from World War 1. We received a box from Canadian War Museum containing many artifacts important to Canada’s military in WW1. The artifact that I chose were shrapnel bullets and I looked at why it was significant in the war and to Canada. Our class ended up even making an exhibit later on in the project in which many classes 8th to 10th  visited.  A good example of global collaborator is our class having a zoom call with the education manager at Canadian War Museum. We learned lots about the box, where it had been, and how the artifacts were chosen. Here is the war museum website if you want to check it out.

The 3rd milestone was similar to the 2nd one but instead we studied a soldier to see what influence they had on the war. I chose a man named Stanley Fraser and explained not only his importance in the war but also his connection to my artifact. I then put this into a final video in milestone 6 which is also seen at the top of this post. An example of our class establishing historical significance was when we watched a video called “They Shall not Grow Old” and took notes on how life was as a soldier preparing for war and their lives in the trenches. An example of Global Collaborator is when we played a game online in which we made life threatening decisions for a soldier in the trenches and really understood what their daily lives looked like

As mentioned, milestone 6 was a culmination video of all that we did, mostly of of our soldier and artifact. This was the final milestone in which we put all that we learned into explaining to you guys why WW1 was so significant to Canada. If you didn’t see it up there, you can view it right here. https://youtu.be/AOTrPdijWSo

Well that’s going to wrap up this post, I hope you guys have enjoyed reading through the journey of this project and I will see all of you next time!