Herzog Reflection

We started a new project for maker. Our last project was called ‘Becoming A PLP Learner’ and this project was called ‘Constructing Creative Communication’. Our class of 45 people got split into two classes; Herzog and Carr. Im pretty sure they were named after Fred Herzog and Emily Carr. If you were in group Herzog, we learned creative communication through using the camera and if you were in group Carr we learned creative communication with the Apple Pencil. I haven’t been in group Carr yet, I will be in that group next. While I was in group Herzog, I learned a bunch about photography, how to tell a story through images and most importantly how to use the camera feature on our iPad. 

I now know how to do a bunch of new things with my camera and photography. We learnt how to tell a story through images and how to catch the viewers attention when taking an image. We got to spend a bit of time outside taking photos while on a walk, we even got to go to Deep Cove and take some photos at Strathcona park! Here are some images I took while at the park;

Some of the top ten skills of 2025 are Creativity, originality and initiative, Technology design and programming, Technology use, monitoring and control and Analytical thinking and innovation. While we were in Herzog we learnt a lot on how we can create and communicate through using technology. You probably think that taking photos with a camera doesn’t take that much creative thinking, but you’d be surprised. You have to think about the rule of thirds, how to catch peoples attention and how to tell a story. This takes a lot of thought. When catching someone’s attention you have to make the photo stand out from others. A way to do this is by using the rule of thirds when taking an image. Pretty much what this means is you place the most important or eye catching thing on the left or right side of the image. This will make the viewers eye go over the rest of the image instead of looking only at the main part of the photo. This is very important when telling a story. You most likely will have the background tell a lot of story, so if the viewer just looks at the main focus, they probably will not get it. I also believe this really helps when making your image present a emotion or feeling. 

Here is an image I took of my cat. The photo is supposed to show the emotion ‘silly’. I also spent a few minutes making the colour temperature brighter.

And here is an image that shows how I tried to tell a story using a flower. I kind of thought of it like the only thing happy left is this bright flower in a field of darkness.

I definitely think that having photography skills could greatly help you if you have a job in the field of graphic design, or photography in general. I guarantee there are a bunch of other jobs that could need this skill as well. 

There is more than one skill we needed to know when we were taking photos. We had to keep in mind angles, colour temperature, lighting, etc. Here are some other images I took while doing this!

Thank you for reading, I really enjoyed looking back and remembering everything I did! Have an awesome day! Also, here is a animated video gif of my cat, yet again.