The Power of Ads💪

Advertising is everywhere and it surrounds all of us. In this unit, My class and I set out to find a simple answer to our inquiry question, how does what we see, hear and do influence us. To answer this question, the class not only discussed the topic in class, but also interviewed a local business to get a real life perspective on how advertising has influenced their company.

Matching a print ad with the appropriate strategy

During this unit, we looked at different techniques for advertising and what advantages each one can give you. We also looked at ads from a variety of companies and discussed which techniques they used and how much the ad itself appealed to you. Part of our homework was also to watch TV or YouTube and pay close attention to the ads while taking notes. The class was also asked to match print ads to what they thought was the appropriate category for the ad’s advertising strategy.

Before really digging deep into this unit, we were asked to complete this survey. Once for ourselves and once with someone else such as a friend or parent. We needed to survey what they thought about advertising, where they most commonly see it and what items they own that are based mostly on the power of advertising. The following photos are my two surveys of me and my mom.

Mom’s Survey

My Survey

Questions We Asked The Business

Once the unit was in full swing, we were separated into groups. Each group was given a local business in the Cove to call and interview and eventually create an ad for. Unfortunately for my group, we were denied many times when trying to get a hold of a business so had to interview a local Optometry clinic on Dollarton Highway. Before going, my group got together to create a list of the questions we were going to ask that business to gather information to design the print ad.

First Draft-Somewhat hard to read and not my own image

Critique for draft one from peers

Draft 2- my own image,but hard to read

Final-my own image and font is easy to read

During our trip to Oregon, my group and I also made another ad for a business in Oregon. Below are all my drafts including my final product for the. Arline Discovery Tours in Newport Oregon.

Draft 1-Font is okay but not great

Draft 2-Bold font isn’t working and website is hard to read

Draft 3-font isn’t great and I need to outline the writing to make it more readable

Draft 4-font is much better and website is readable, but”Ultimate” needs to stand out more

Final-font is good and stands out