The Story Within An Ornament🎄

The Holiday season is getting closer and closer! And I can’t help but write more about the holding as my excitement is overflowing!

Have you ever had a special ornament? One that would get you excited every year when your parents pull out the box of Christmas decorations?  An ornament that, when hung on the tree, brings back sweet lovely memories that you want to cherish forever? I have one of those! For those of you who have been keeping up with my blog, you probably know by now that I LOVE dance. Especially ballet and dancing on pointe. Infact, I’ve written quite a few posts about my passion for ballet which you can view here. Anyways, given those clues, my special ornament is obviously a dancer. But what makes an ornament memorable and special is the untold story behind it. Perhaps it was given to you by someone special or you got it at a memorable event, regardless, each ornament, like a person, has a story. Here’s the story behind my ballet ornament and why it’s special to me.

It was the final show of the 2017 RCYB Nutcracker. The audience gave its final applause and the curtain began to close. As the theatre began to clear out and the audience left, the dancers crowded in the dressing room to prepare to part ways for another year. Makeup was wiped away and their tight buns were let down into a long ponytail. The magic of the Nutcracker was over but the Christmas holidays had just begun. We exchanged cards and hugs and I wished I could stay there forever with my new found friends but the buzz of my phone told me that my mom was waiting outside and it was time to go. I gave my friends one last goodbye before leaving the theatre and ran out to the car where my mom was waiting.

I was sad that I’d have to wait many months before I’d get to see my friends again and experience the magic of Nutcracker season. As we pulled out of the dark parking lot and into the dim snowy road, my mom handed be a small paper bag. I was very curious and gave my mom a curious look which she returned with a smile. “Open it,” she said. So I did. I carefully opened up the bag and found a a package wrapped in pink tissue paper. The paper was folded back to reveal a beautiful ornament shaped as a ballerina. She wore sparkly pink pointe shoes and a tutu and looked as if she were dancing as she was in an arabesque pose. I smiled at my mom and she smiled back. “Do you like it?” She asked me. “I love it. It’s perfect!” I replied. The ornament then became the trinket inwhich I stored all of my precious memories of the 2017 RCYB Nutcracker. Nutcracker season may be over, but the holidays had just begun!

That was my little story about how I got my special ornament. If you have a Christmas decoration that’s special to you in any way, I’d love to hear about in the comments below! I’ve also created a video on how to make your own special unique Christmas gift with my friend Jordyn! You can add your own personality flair and background story to your homemade ornament too! So hopefully, it’ll be treasured for years to come and you’ll feel the same joy when you pull it out of the box as I do! Regardless, I hope you enjoy the video and craft!

Happy Holidays!

2 thoughts on “The Story Within An Ornament🎄

1. Hi Kiera,

What a delightful blog post! You wrote at length, and what you had to say was very engaging. You illustrated your post so very well with graphics. Because your pictures were photos taken by you, you did not have to worry about copyright. As a reader I really enjoyed it. It had me thinking about what my favourite Christmas decoration is.

My name is Merry Beau and I am a commenter from the Student Blogging Challenge. I teach children between the ages of 4 and 12 and I am from Ireland. Here is a link to our class blog
    http://merrybeau.edublogs.org/about/
    We love adding pictures to our posts. Sometimes they are photos we take ourselves or images we create ourselves and sometimes we use Compfight to find an appropriate image. Sometimes it takes us longer to choose the picture, than it takes us to write the post!

My class and I have done the student blogging challenge in the past. If you continue to ‘stick with it’ you will learn even more. As Ms.Morris says you can choose from the suggested activities to do what really interests you. That way blogging can be even more fun.

If you get a chance you could put up the Student Blogging Challenge badge for 2018. The instructions for doing that are here: http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/2018/10/01/badges/

It would be lovely to hear back from you. You could leave a comment on my class blog. Part of the fun of blogging is getting to hear from people all over the world. As Ms. Morris says if you finish your tasks why not visit other student bloggers and leave a comment to say hello.

With every good wish. Have a great week,
    Merry Beau