Alberta – PLP 9- Reflection (Humanities)

Introduction…

In this reflection, I will be reflecting on my previous trip to Alberta based on my humanities assignments mainly my Field Study Journal and my Five Themes of Geography comic life. Some big factors that I will be covering are my: 

• My Thesis
  • Answer to the driving question
  • The visuals of my book

Strengths– What Went Well? What Did I Learn?

• I’m quite pleased with how my journal turned out in terms of visuals as to me it looks visually appealing. I did this by having a balanced ratio between text and images. I will continue to take a ton of photos on the trips in the future as it will help me in the long run once I get back and working on the journals
  • I’m proud of how colourfully diverse I made my pages as each and every one of
    them looked noticeably different
  • Choosing a history-based thesis was a good choice for me because out of all the categories I could have based my thesis off of whether it’s the geography or the
    environment I knew that history fascinated me the most
  • I like how I included photos of text whether its from signs on a hike or in a museum since they gave you some informational insight on some of the history I’m describing
  • I learned a few technical skills along the way as well such as opening files inside my book that take you to my five themes of geography comic life and I also learned how to add shapes or drawing to my book.

Growth– What Could I Do Next Time?

• I could have developed better questions that better connected and represented my thesis which was history and I was asking questions more-related to the geography at times
  • I should have valued quality over quantity more when I was writing how an image represents one of the five themes of geography because I felt like I needed to connect more than one of the five themes to the image even if it didn’t make very much connection or sense
  • I will proof read my worker more thoroughly next time as there were a couple typos I identified when I look back on my book.
  • I feel like a couple of my starting slides are lacking visual presentation. For example, in my last spike photo slide, the background doesn’t really connect with the images and the whole slide itself just lacks colour which doesn’t pop.
  • At times, I was a little disappointed with how my images looked in the end because I know i can do a lot better. I’m referring to how some of my images are off-centred, lack colour, and just boring.

Conclusion…

Overall, I am quite happy with how my Book Creator turned out as I answered the driving question with a clear understanding of each of the five themes of geography as well. 

Some Things To Consider:

• Practise and improve your photo-editing skills so that if you take an important image that isn’t the most visually intriguing then I know how to upgrade the photo through editing so that you can insert it in my journal
  • Have a good hook whether that’s a quote, a statement, a question, etc.
  • When taking photos, ask myself, does this photo in any way relate to the driving question?