Take Your Kid to Work Day 2018

Guess who’s back? It’s me, I haven’t changed. Anyways this blog post is about Take Your Kid to Work Day. It happened a few weeks ago. Apparently it’s a national thing where grade 9s in Canada can go to there parent’s office or like a friend’s parent’s work for a day.

Click the link for a blog I found with some stuff about Take your kid to work day. http://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/about/blog/thank-you-take-our-kids-to-work-day

Take your kid to work day this year was on Wednesday, November 14th. I ended up going to my mom’s office. She works at the City of North Vancouver. They had a morning tour planned for the people that showed up.

First we walked to the fire department that’s only two blocks away, fortunately it wasn’t raining. We stayed there for about 45 minutes and they explained to us there two divisions, a prevention unit and a rescue unit. They showed us a few of the younger firefighters go down the emergency poles. Turns out they actually use these. It was pretty cool watching them just grab on and slide down. They also explained to us the different functions of the different trucks they have. They ended with a video they made of a bunch of archived videos of firefighters in the 50’s in North Vancouver which was pretty cool.

Shoutout to Google Earth
This picture is a screenshot.

Next, we went to the North Vancouver Emergency Center for like an hour. They have like the headquarters of the RCMP in North Vancouver. They are one of the three center in the Lower Mainland that receive the 911 class and dispatch them or transfer the caller to another line. Our “tour guide” at the center was in charge of all the Police cars and making sure they’re in working order. We met the highest ranked officer in the station. He’s been working with the RCMP for over 30 years, which is a lot of time. The high ranked officers are called “white shirts” because they’re shirts are white while lower ranked officers have the darker shirts we usually see out on the streets. Our guide took us to several places including the dispatch center. It’s a room full of computers and phones and they answer them and will dispatch officers from that station or can transfer the call to another polic station.

Shoutout to Google Earth
This picture is a screenshot.

After the Emergency center we went back to the City Hall.

Shoutout to Google Earth This picture is a screenshot.

Our next activity was meeting one of the city’s councillors, Holly Back. Apparently her son is of the district’s councillors. We went to the council room and we made a mock council. We got to sit in some of the councillor’s chairs (they’re very comfortable, but they sometimes have to sit there for hours on end).

Now for one of the best parts of the day we had a pizza lunch 🍕🍕🍕🍕. JK, the tour was quite interesting but after walking the whole morning, sitting down was nice. We had the pizza in one of the conference rooms and the chairs were also really comfortable. They  had a bunch of different features as well. That was the end of the planned day.

After that I stayed there for a few more hours with my mom to make my project which I’m going to explain to you now.

We were tasked with making a sort of live event video except for our parent’s jobs. This part I wasn’t to excited for. As I may have mentioned in the past, making videos isn’t really my thing. Especially when it’s schoolwork. Doing it on your own time and no requirements is more fun and less pressure. However we have to do it.

Anyways that afternoon, my mom had a meeting that was supposed to be like 45 minutes but that ended up almost tripling and ended because somebody else had the conference room booked. Because of this I got to learn quite a bit about of my mom’s projects and I also got some pretty good footage (at least I though it was pretty great). The problem was I need a bit more variety and time to get some pictures or videos but I had to leave for a hockey game. So I had to go the next week on Wednesday to try and finish it.

Here´s my finished video.

Well that’s the end of my experience at take your kid to work day. BYE BYE now.