Week six scientific question.

Why can heavy objects float on Mercury?

Some people might know that when placing a heavy object on Mercury (such as our selfs) that object will float on top of the Mercury. My question is why does this happen. 

After doing a little research I found that normal liquids exert force upward on anything that is placed on top of them, this is called buoyant force. The Archimedes principle states that “ the buoyant force on an object is equal to the wight of the fluid that the object displaces”. This meaning that any object that is placed on top of mercury with less density will float, and since mercury is like liquid metal it is incredibly dense meaning that heavy objects such as our selves can float on it. Some examples of things that will float include silver, steel and us!

As seen here in this image this man is able to sit on a small pool of mercury because he has less density than the mercury.

Here is a video to help explain a little bit about mercury.

as shown in the video, even the heaviest of objects can float if their density is lower than the mercury’s.

now here is a short quiz to see if you were listening.

4 Responses

1. Miss Blessing at |

How fascinating! You came up with such a cool question, and you explained your discoveries very well, Noah. I enjoyed the way you used a video to embellish your answer as well.

I’m wondering what your next question might be! Keep up the great blogging.

Miss Blessing
    #STUBC commenter
    Vermont, USA

Reply
  2. Miss Davidson at |

Hi Noah,

Great post! I like the way you started with a question to hook the reader in and included loads of detail.

Remember, if you are going to include a Google form and want readers to respond, you need to make sure the settings are correct so we can see it.

Keep up the great blogging!

Miss Davidson
    #STUBC commenter
    Melbourne, Australia

Reply