DI, But Online

Well this has been the most interesting DI Provincials that I have seen. Our teams had to work extra hard to to keep up with what has been going on in the world right now ( COVID-19) but in the end I think everyone had a presentation ready, and preformed very well at our makeshift DI tournament. Here is what happened for my group and what I thought about this whole process.

As mentioned in my last post ( click HERE ) my group was the improve team in a massive tournament called DI. In our last tournament which was the regional one, we presented our skit and it went well, but it wasn’t as good as we had hoped. Although we may have been disappointed it did leave us with an opportunity to improve for the next tournament ( Provincials ).

We spent the next week working on solutions and any other challenges that we had during the tournament, some of our main focuses were more sound effects, better cues for when to make the sounds effects, and also working on communication for things like when each actor should talk and when is a good time for the narrator to speak. In the few practice runs we had before spring break I think we did well in those categories and the overall quality of the skit went up as well.

When spring break started we all knew that we were expected to meet with our teammates and continue working on our challenges, however right at this time COVID-19 cases had reached B.C and the numbers were rising fast, so DI Provincials had to be cancelled. As for us lucky PLP students we had teachers who would never miss out on an opportunity to watch us preform ( probably for personally entertainment), so now we had about one week to prepare for the ultimate online DI tournament of a life time ( maybe not). 

I thought that this was actually much harder than preparing for the actual DI tournament, for starters we had none of the sound effects that we practiced with, and secondly it was hard ( but humorous ) for the actors to act in completely different rooms. We all worked very hard toward figuring out how to communicate who was acting  and also when to incorporate the new sound effects (  which were random things I pulled out of my basement). Although this was tough it was also fun to try something new and challenging. I never think I have been so engaged in a skit before now.

There were some up sides to being on Zoom for our presentation as well. For example the virtual background effect is really handy if we need to set the scene. There were some camera tricks that we had planned on doing but then realized that they would be way to complicated when we were actually presenting.

When the time came we were ready to present our online version of a skit. There was not as many people as a regular performance but there was still a good amount, and even though everyone was there I did not feel as nervous for some reason.

We then began our performance. As far as online presentations go I think this one was pretty good. All of the actors had good cues for when I should use a sound effect but they also communicated well amongst themselves which made the skit flow together.

Overall I think this was unexpectedly fun and interesting. I personally think my team did much better and even though communication was difficult, we managed to do a really great job at taking turns when talking. I am also thankful for our teachers because without them we would never have had this opportunity to present what we had worked for so long to create.

That’s all for now.