Run!

Hello world it’s me randy again, after a such long time of resting and break I’m finally back blogging my projects again. Today I’m going to reflect on my first maker project of the year called « running a remake ». This project was mainly about filming and editing, and the final product was a recreation of a YouTube video. Now lets dig in deeper into the process.
The driving question was: How might we learn video skills by recreating a short film.
In this project I was assigned into a group with five people: Nate, Annie Jordan and Jakub. We had four boys and one girl but the final product still turned out really well, which was quite surprising. On the first day we were doing milestone one which was shooting a video of introducing myself, we did this because there were two new students in PLP and the teachers want us to get used to be on cams. On the second day we started working the project.
We started off the whole project with launching the basic knowledge of what we were doing. As a group we asked some useful questions, such as ‘‘is Santa real?’’ ‘‘When can we start filming, and what kind of cameras are we supposed to use…etc’’. The teacher show us a short film, and asked us to recreate the film with exact angles, timing, audio, scenes and costume. Here is the video(run).

The next day we went outside and filmed our first draft. We had the costumes and the storyboard ready, the lighting was just perfect that day and we spent about three hours to film the whole video scene by scene. Afterwards me, Nate and Annie went outside again to record the audio. That afternoon we roughly finished the first draft and presented it to the class. Here is the copy:

We knew that it was not perfect but at least it was better some other group’s. After school we discussed how to improve on the first draft. For example: make a better costume, let the actor be more realistic, audio changes, etc. The very next day we went outside again and refilmed the whole video again. This time it was way easier, we also finished a lot earlier, which brings our group a lot more time editing. Here is the final copy:

My answer to the driving question: as a group we were able to learn video skills by trying to get the same timing, shots, angles… when we were editing we learned how to make the video just the way we wanted, when we were shooting the clips we tried our best to keep the camera angles straight and the way we want them to be, we learned how to record the audio and edit them to match the film. Most importantly we learned how to create a film as a group together.