Facilitation Friday

Another day, another stab at leading my own learning. Facilitation Friday is where someone presents on a topic that they have researched. They are to teach a bit of this topic to the classmates and then throw some though provoking questions which should spark some huge debate or deep thoughts.

Me, presenting an event in the 1990’s decided to choose something close to my 2nd home town. Hong Kong caught my eye again as the prevailing topic that I want to discuss with my classmates. I decided to pick the Hong Kong handover to China event with an emphasis on the rise of Chinese power. Little did I know that this topic would draw blanks from all my classmates

I presented the topic with a summary of the events leading up to it and some significant points on how other countries viewed China after. I felt my presentation ok with some fumbling of words. As I asked my questions like “Was the handover a signal of rising Chinese power, or fading British strength”. Everyone drew a blank. I suppose it is hard for them to think deeply when we have not even learned about the topic in class yet. Then the class and I realized I was supposed to present the next week after the 1990s have been taught. I am a buffoon. Luckily some of my classmates were able to deduce some things about the event and form an answer to my questions. At the end, Mr Hughes offered a significant point, no one wanted to fight each other for the sake of the possession of Hong Kong.

Looking back on Facilitation Friday, I realized that this was more of a debate exercise devised by the teachers. I assume they wanted us to adopt different views and challenge each other with words until anyone gave up. The teachers let us know about this too but we are way too nice to question each others beliefs.