Popsicle sticks and Polynomials

Recently we’ve covered a new unit in math. In pairs we were asked to create a project about our learning throughout our new math unit. We learned all about polynomials and like terms. The project guidelines were very open and we could pretty much create anything we wanted. The grading was based on how well we showed our learning, if it was personalized to us, had good math vocabulary and was presented in a clear and engaging way. 

Gabby and I built a popsicle stick house for our project. We had a platform with a popsicle stick house and a backyard with things like fake trees and moss. We calculated how much it costed to build a basic house, with just the popsicle sticks, fence, tree and moss. Then we calculated how much it costed to build a complex house with all of the basic items as well as added in fake flowers, small wooden blocks, lights and birds. 

Our basic house polynomial

Our complex house polynomial

I will go over a few of the curricular competencies that Gabby and I covered during our project. 

The first curricular competency I will talk about is Reasoning and Analyzing. During our project Gabby and I were both able to confidently use correct mathematical operations to show our polynomials. We were also able to show our work in the keynote presentation we gave as well as clearly explain how we came to our project solution.

The next competency I will talk about is Communicating and Representing. This competency was an area where Gabby and I could have improved on. We presented our keynote to the class in an enthusiastic, clear and engaging way and helped our classmates to understand our project and the math we did. However we could have used a wider vocabulary using words such as term, coefficient, exponent or degree. So we know for next time to expand our vocabulary when presenting to show that we fully understand the material. 

Overall Gabby and I created a fun project that we were both very proud of in the end. The last competency I will mention is connecting and reflecting. This competency was strong in our presentation because our project was very personalized and original. 

This is my mind map that I created about everything that I’ve learned throughout this unit.